oil temps creeping up in traffic - Still got the problem. any suggestions

Discussion in '8-valve' started by drunkenalan, Apr 21, 2010.

1. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

one of the oil cooler pipes, is twisted slightly, however the suppossed to be able to be twisted without and problems,

I have chaged the sensor for a black one now, that i had in the garage i think its PN 049 919 501,but will need to confirm

the cooling system is working fine. on a run down the m69 last night the water temp was, under the 1/4 mark. oil temp was fine too. just above the 90 mark,

I parked up and let it idle for a bit, oil temp went upto 115 - 120 mark, with fan having ran 3 times since i parked up, the bonnet was closed.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the white sensor is the one you should use for the mfa oil temp, black one is wrong rating as it a coolant temp sensor

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Is this an improvement on the old "white" sensor?
    This seems more inline with what I used to see my 2litre 8v in traffic 122degC in traffic.
    If it is, then I would need to check to see what sensor they fited to that car. Similar temp is also see in the Anchor engine in traffic.

4. rubjonny

vag actually list a different number for the MK2 and MK3 mfa oil temp sensors, but I'm unsure if the ratings on them are different? ive never bothered to try i just swap mk2 sensors over

5. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

a water sender? i had two inthe garage and they were both oily rather than coolant stained. ill check the number tonight. altho it must ahve come from the AGG engine i had as its date was mid 90's the other black one had the same number but it was mid 80's..

fit the gauge is from and Audi coupe and has a top reading of 170, is it a blue sender i need?

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'd have thought you want a little brass sender off a 8v or 16v lump. They generally have the temp range stamped on the side of them, although you'll have to give them a wipe to find it. The ones I've seen are generally up to 150*.

7. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

i had a 150 (white) one in there before, it has a 120 (black) now in there, and it seems i need a blue one which i dont have

8. rubjonny

yes the white ones are vw oil temp sensors, black are coolant temp and blue are audi oil temp sensors.

i did assume the small sensor you were using for your mfa, but if you have an audi vdo gauge you need a blue one

9. Toyotec

They do indeed. But in terms of actual running temps I would expect this car to be as I stated. Seeing that I have driven it and it does not indicate overheating on the water gauge but does start clipping the oil temps thus sounding the buzzer. This to me would point to an incorrect sender. The other thing that did not correlate to the oil over temp is the indicated oil pressure did not drop during very heavy testing.
    I have always found later mk2 clusters to register higher oil temps on the MFA and that includes MK3 units. So 120 deg C is not un common in heavy traffic or after a hard blat.

10. Toyotec

Alan,
    I can check the my black 8v car to see what sensor this uses for the MFA. My cluster and yours should be same and this car does not have any known overheating issues on either coolant temps or oil. This would ensure that the matching on the type of sensor is correct, before troubleshooting for further issues.

11. rubjonny

yeah im not convinced the rating is different on the mk3 vs mk2 sensor, but its something to think about.

allan is using a vdo oil temp gauge, so your sensor would be no good. needs to be blue item from audi, not expensive:
    049 919 563 B - oil temperature sender, 1 pin blue, 0-180C - 14.85+VAT

12. Toyotec

You getting ahead of yourself there fella. The part numbers on the senders are different between mk2 and 3 as your said. But the ratings seem to be the same as I was alluding to base on the MK2 8v vs MK3 VR6 cluster/sender comparison. Also the over temp buzzer, part of the cluster activates on this car but the symptoms do not suggest overheating on the oil. Hence my suggestions to return the hardware to std, make sure to recheck the temps on the MFA then use this to run any additional gauges. On this engine it would be wise to make sure that there is not a true oil issue. Not trying to have the last say or anything neither trying to contradict the part catalogue at your finger tips. But you got to factor in I have been present and operating the vehicle, including monitoring the MFA , rather than VDO gauge when this happened.

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

120 range is a water sensor.

14. rubjonny

yeah I know, I'm not saying they are definitely different rating just that its possible and might be worth double checking, or just fit a mk2 sensor to be safe. I've heard no evidence to suggest they are different ratings, I actually think the difference in numbers is just down to them having different style connections on the top. mk2 ones tend to have the mushroom head, mk3s tend to have the spade head.

re: the blue sensor all I'm saying is if he wants one for his vdo sensor, he needs it to be blue ;)
    I was under the assumption that the mfa isn't in use any more, hence why he is specifically asking about sensors for his VDO gauge, and hence why i gave out the part number for it. if the mfa is working then yeah, a part number from your white sensor would be useful ;)

edit: the only reason i even mentioned mk3 sensors at all was because the bottom end is MK3, so the sensor could be too and so just worth a check. as above its probably not any different. the whole thread could have come about simply because allan was running his audi vdo gauge off a VW mfa oil temperature sensor :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  15. rubjonny

actually just had another look on etka:
    049 919 563 A - mk2 mfa oil temp sender, white 0-180 - 14.85+VAT
    1H0 919 563 - mk3 mfa oil temp sensor, white 0-150 - 14.85+VAT

so it seems the mk3 one isn't quite the same rating as the MK2 one, though it could still have the same resistance curve as the MK2 one from 0-150 I guess which is what you have seen?

16. danster Forum Addict

Using electronics to measure these things just causes problems!:lol:

Fit a mechanical oil pressure gauge and a capillary temperature gauge and be done with the anxiety. Even if it is just temporary it will show you what is actually going on regardless of various sender and gauge readings.
    How I laugh at this stuff. I remember a rally car pulling over during a stage because the light came on. The wire had come off the sender.:lol:
    Proper mechanical and capillary gauges do not fall over like this.

17. rubjonny

just when they do go they spray oil everywhere instead :lol:

18. danster Forum Addict

That would only ever happen if not fitted correctly or appropriately rated for the application, The same way wiring would fail, These gauges are calibrated by themselves as opposed to electric ones needing a match between sender and dash gauge.
    Temporary fitting of a mechanical and capillary gauges would tell you what was going on though, and determine if this whole thread was even needed.:lol:

19. rubjonny

yeah i suppose, just not so keen on running oil lines into the cabin. more comfortable running wires instead. but then i am a wiring freak who keeps all the spare wiring I chop out from conversion looms. its everywhere in my garage now :lol:

20. danster Forum Addict

For real.:lol:
    I have a car loom or 5 hanging around as a "feature" instead of ornaments and stuff.:o

I do like the comedy idea of just fitting different senders till one eventually gets the temperature reading one wants to see on the gauge.;)

Bruce Forsyth = higher, lower, lower, higher comes to mind!:lol: