VR6 Running Problem - Cam Sensor Fault.I need some pics.I think I have a part missing

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by Mark_H, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Mark_H Forum Member

HI,
    I have a stardard VR that has a cam sensor fault 515 and I've checked all the wiring and it all seems OK 2 x 12v powers and a earth.......
    I removed the sensor and I found this.... is this common.....I unplugged the sensor when the engine was running and it had no affect on the engine.......

Also, I tried checking the pins on the sensor while the engine was running but I could not get anything out of it....Does anyone know how the sensor works ?

The sensor has just been replaced looking at the paperwork with the car.

The car has had the chains done so I'm wondering whether the timing might be out......

Any thoughts would be great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sure that the blue arrowed part was not fitted to the cam on mine...Has anyone got any pics of the pulley with the the timing chain cover fitted so I can compare it to mine.

[​IMG]

2. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

I've just had the same fault 2 months ago, was running like a dog (code 515) replaced the sensor and hey presto like new. I think it was 42 from the Dealers with CGTi discount :p

A pic of my 'hall sender' .... (1997 OBD2 VR6)

[​IMG]

3. Mark_H Forum Member

Thanks for the pics...Interestingly I think I have a double chain set up on my car. It's definately an OBD II car but does not appear to have the single chain type.

4. mk2vivs Forum Member

thats the same set up as mine, OBD2 but has the double chain system.

5. Rigs Paid Member Paid Member

Mine is the same as in the lower pic.

We've had this fault on a couple of vrs and on both the plastic ring holding the hall sender to the sprocket had spun. On one the keyway was completely ripped round.

The sender passing the sensor creates a spike down the signal wire - the ecu only looks for this signal over a certain part of each revolution. Mine had only spun by 10-15 degrees but wasnt being picked up by the ecu. Got a new sender and it was fine - a lot cheaper than the sensor too iirc but more of a pain to check/replace!

6. AndrewF Forum Addict

First pic is for a dizzy car is it not?

I had the thing fall apart on the vr i had some yrs ago....so wish i'd checked fault codes as monkey garage that i took it to decided it was timing and removed the engine/box to check, charged my 1k and solved nothing, theyd also put it back together poorly and car started developing a lot of weird faults after that

7. gunit-84 Forum Member

Sorry to bring this up but I'm having the same faults! Intermitant stutter once warm, when I bought the engine the guy said it had a new cam sensor, I've checked and it is brand new! But still throws the code 515 now and again. Just wondering if the sender ring has slipped? Can I change this with out removing the chain cover?

8. powernut Forum Member

can also be the main timing which maybe out of algine/slipped/strectched (easy done) check ur timing heres a link
    as its critical for the crank to oil pump cog to be algined correctly otherwise , both top camshafts can be slightly out out alginement (ive done it in the past :lol:)
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1264409:thumbup:

9. gunit-84 Forum Member

the thing is the car runs spot on, its just now and again (normally once warm) that i get a stutter followed by bogging down when at very light throttle, vagcom shows fault 515 which is cam position sensor but the sensor is brand new!??? does my head in lol

10. powernut Forum Member

ru sure ur timing crank/and camshafts are algined correctly and the magnet sensor is sat in its correct place , is the magnet still in the pickup sensor , algine and check these first before going any further ;)