VW Motorsport Inspired 020 Shifter Build: Improving the Gear shift Mechanism

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Admin, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Admin Guest

I have been making good progress this week :thumbup: I made a couple of different length arms for the tower select.
    IMG_1871.jpg

Remade the reverse clamp so that it is now the same shape as the rest of the block, I also decided that the cable will start at this end so made space for that and then countersunk the bolt that holds the reverse rod in place.
    IMG_1878.jpg

I then set to work on CAD and decided to do a little CNC milling to give the product some ide
    IMG_1861.jpg

And i fired up the 3D printer, here it is making a very light weight lattice core part for the project.
    IMG_1855.jpg

:p

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2018
  2. Admin Guest

I have been working hard on this but have little to show from it, I have had to wait for materials and tools to arrive to allow me to make certain parts.

Anyway, the gear knob finished on the 3D printer and i also made wooden one that im going to use. The 3D printed version has now been cut in half for an examination, the lattice is very strong and light.
    IMG_1881.jpg

It has a textured surfice finish that can easily be sanded down - ignor the dirty mark i created around the rim.
    IMG_1882.jpg

I then modified the original relay lever and also cut of the lever from the relay shaft and poped it on the lathe to smooth out. I made the new bearing for the relay shaft in two parts as it was much simplier, none of my drill bits where long enough.
    IMG_1891.jpg IMG_1932.jpg IMG_1933.jpg

3. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

:o 3D printing a gear knob! Lucky git!:lol:

Amazing work again, Look forward to the next update:clap:

4. Admin Guest

Wow 3d printing!! Science fiction come true...

This thread makes me fizz :lol: sheer motor p0rn :thumbup:

5. mat-mk3

Im sure he had another idea of making the gearknob but wanted to show off his 3D printer to me:lol:

6. Admin Guest

It's a techies wet dream is that....I'm just glad that I no longer have to fix printers :lol:

7. Admin Guest

It was just for you mat :hug:

I have been wondering what i could do with the printer for a while, the gear knob seemed like a good idea. I have something else in mind i will make in the future with it.

8. Admin Guest

I have worked on the base plate for shifter to sit on, it will also incorporate part of the mechansim as seen in my earlier sketches. I started of making a full scale mock up in wood that I tested for fit in the car.
    IMG_1936.jpg

I decided to change the angle of the folds and increase the length to give more support to the structure. Again this was cut out of wood and tested in the car, the side of the base plate was cut to allow the mechinsism to poke through.
    IMG_1934.jpg

I then sketched a final version of this and laser cut a template out of MDF that i used to mark up my aliminium sheet, unfortunatly the laser cutter does not cut metals.
    IMG_1935.jpg

I cut the sheet metal out using a band saw and a jig saw for the inner parts, all finished by hand and the inside wet'n'dry' sanded to 1000 grit.
    IMG_1937.jpg

Then i folded it into shape today, im going to maybe add some more structure to this and get some sheet welded in at the ends. It will bolt to the sides of the tunnel when positioned.
    IMG_1938.jpg

9. PeoplesCar Forum Member

I drove a Mercedes 190 Cosworth in early nineties with dogleg 1st. It seemed to make for faster 2nd to 3rd gear shifts when driving A roads that's for sure :-)

If you'd like to whip one of these up for the Stroke Charity Rally Caddy, I'd be sure to big it up at every show I attend with the vehicle on display :-)

:thumbup:

10. coupechamp Forum Member

i sooooo want all these tool toys, and end results :lol: keep it going, i love this thread, Mr Jealous from Northampton :clap:

11. Admin Guest

Cheers guys, im working hard on this as I want it to work well and look good too, its also a nice way for me to practice on machinery I have only used a few times. I dont think I will be selling any of these soon, they are a little involved in their manufacture, it would be nice to pack up work and make things like this all day... best get my lottery ticket bought.

12. Admin Guest

I have put it all together for the first time, the base plate still has the protective wrapping on one side and needs de-burring and sanding on the out side, there are a couple of bushes left to make and fit, therefore it looks a little rough around the edges. The pics are quite grainy as i bumped up the ISO, i quite like the warm feeling this creates but will get some proper pics taken once this is finally finished.

I hope you enjoyed the thread and i will let you know how i get on fitting it to the car and testing it in the future but have a feeling this could take some time. Cheers Tom.
    6808467879_6e25209649_k.jpg 6808479215_65f8eaebf0_k.jpg 6808488843_eb2812724c_k.jpg 6808497803_0d5b2c4e34_k.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2021
  13. Admin Guest

It's just awesome, if I was as talented at making things as you I'd be one happy person. Top work :thumbup:

14. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

Great work.

It looks awesome

15. coupechamp Forum Member

superb :clap: i take it this is done at work and not in the shed :lol: what is it you actually do, for a living? You would sell loads of these :p

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  16. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

Very impressive stuff!!

Where do i put my name down for one?! [:D]

17. benny Forum Member

Wow, very nice! :clap:

18. Admin Guest

Ditto!

19. mat-mk3

20. mec82 Forum Member