seat cable clutch for 02j

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by oldscool, Aug 8, 2012.

1. oldscool New Member

I have done a search on here about the seat cable clutch mech for 02j/a .There seems to be mixed opinons on this set up.

Has anyone run this set up for a decent amount of time without any problems and been happy with the feel of the clutch.

I would prefer to run this setup if possible as a hydraulic setup could be difficult due to electric power steering and very tight for space.

Am i correct I only need actuator 02b141708a if I make a bracket for the cable.I intend to reverse the mechanism so the cable doesn't double back on itself as hotgolf Mart showed me on his golf .Anyone else ran it this way?

2. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I run one on my Mk2 with paddle clutch. It's as near stock as you're going to find. The only problem is that you have to remove the reverse light switch. This isn't a problem for me as it's a track car, but might be more of an issue on a daily. It's not an MOT fail though, and you can add a switch on the dash if needed.

Not sure on the parts, there's a complete guide somewhere on here.

3. Bruce T Forum Member

I'm in the process of installing this setup on my mk2 and as sparrow says there is modification to the 02j shift tower required in order to fit the clutch cable bracket. The feel of the cable is fairly close to that of the standard mk2 cable clutch, maybe a tiny bit heavier but that could be due to the uprated clutch.

I think the actuator is all you need if you intend on making a bracket. Needs to be fairly meaty though, there's a fair old force on it when you dip the clutch.

Would be very interested to see how Mart reversed the mechanism as the cable does look horrible doubled back on itself! Any pics?

Sparrow, how did you go about blanking the hole on the tower when you removed the reverse light switch?

4. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

??? mine isn't doubled back on it's self. I use Mk2 1.3 cable

5. Bruce T Forum Member

Hmm, does the cable not come from the front of the gearbox(if that makes sense)? Pics?

6. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

No, it comes from the back. Will go take a photo for you

also iirc I cut a bolt down & the head off and screwed this in to blank the reverse switch hole. Slight cut was required out of the support bracket than the cable secures to

7. Bruce T Forum Member

Thanks Ben :thumbup: Its interesting to see how other people have gone about these things.

Yeah thinking along the same lines, was going to locktite in an stubby m12 bolt and then cut everything off flush with the main housing. nice and neat. I'm lucky in so much as I have a scrap tower to butcher and play about with before I do anything think to the 'good' one.

Cheers,
    Bruce.

8. turbotommy Forum Member

Seat did 2 cables,the Ibiza and the Toledo,the ibiza doubled back on its self where as the toledo didn't and they had different brackets (toledo was very small and not conected to the gearbox mount)
    I've had both and i'm not a fan tbh but they work fine. yes as said,the reverse light is in the way on an 02J but its not too much of a problem.
    Genuine cables are expensive mind (45.00 iirc) so mk2 1.3 ones might be cheaper even if you buy 2 and keep 1 in the boot!

9. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Here you go:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This has been on my car since late 2009, I don't carry a spare :)

10. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Stealth did it, so not sure. I was thoroughly p155ed off with the build at the time, so took no notice whatsoever.

Same here.

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the very best cable for the job is the toledo abf/tdi, because the toledo is a mk2 jetta. the ibiza cable apparently works though. 1.3 mk2 does too but you need to modify it slightly as its not quite long enough, i believe you cut the outer sheath a bit.

i have driven a mk2 abf with 02a and seat toledo cable and it was fine, felt just like a new mk2 gti sachs clutch

12. oldscool New Member

Thanks everyone for the info, that has been a great help.I didn't know the toledo setup was different to the ibiza.

13. Bruce T Forum Member

Thanks for the pics ben. Struggling to get my head round how your setup works though, that could be because I have t actually had a play with the mk2 1.3 cable though, might have to get one.

Would be interesting to get hold of one of the Toledo cables, John, do you have a p/n for that?

Had a quick search on the net and they seem pretty pricey for a clutch cable if I'm looking at the right ones.

Cheers,
    Bruce.

14. Boot103 Forum Member

Hi,

I'm running this setup on my 02A in my mk2 20vt. Its a bit heavy but you get used to it.

My cable pulls from the back (firewall). I'm not sure if this is correct but it has worked for 2 years now :)

Here is a image of the set-up and part numbers for actuator etc. I'm not 100% sure on what cable you need. You could buy a few and take one back if not needed ? Just don't undo the auto adjustment thing.

[​IMG]

* Actuator (#10): VAG part # 02B 141 708 A (comes with boot) or 02A 141 708 B
    * Actuator Boot (#13): VAG part # 02A 141 728
    * Cable (#6): VAG part # 357 721 335 E
    * Support Bracket (#9): VAG part # 357 199 356

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  15. rubjonny

sorry the toledo cable is 1l0 721 335 g, currently its 47+VAT :)

16. Collo Forum Member

Similar but in a MK1 found my clutch a little heavy compared to my original set up but has " good feel"

17. thegave Forum Member

I thought the clutch cable bracket/actuator couldn't physically mount to the 02J housing only 02A?

There is no reverse switch problem if using 02A shift tower.

Cable clutch when set up right feels just like standard. When not it can be a bit funny, either heavy or sticky.

18. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Gav, in my pics further up that is an 02J, with SEAT clutch bits fitted.

19. alexisblades99 Forum Member

I got one sent over the other day, haven't fitted it yet, looks just like the golf 1.3 cable. Part number 1L0721335C, from diesel toledo iirc. Just under 27 inc vat. Will try it out in the next few days, only got it as the crappy GSF gemo one broke after only two years. This one looks much better quality.

20. rubjonny

could you compare it to the old 1.3 cable, so we can see exactly what the differences are? might be useful for some :)