Driveshaft lengths (bare driveshaft lengths) ** wanted **

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by RobT, Feb 2, 2008.

1. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Hi Rj,

Yep I was pretty certain all Mk3s were 1.9, just going by an earlier post by Tony that he has a 1.6 diesel short shaft on the Tatty B&W....Tony is going to check at the weekend for me to see what it came off of :thumbup:

The shaft I got was a TDI shaft, so that will certainly explain why it had a 100mm inner......you say the NA is a different length as it has 90mm inners, don't supposeyou can confirm if it is longer? Also if anyone has one that they are not using then I'll have it off you please [:D]

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I cant confirm 100% that they are, but based on the fact that 90mm mk1 & mk2 shafts are longer than 100mm shafts then i think we can safely say that they will be :)

the 90mm shafts will also come on some of the 1.6 mk3 as I think they use 020 boxes too but i dont know what codes they are. iirc there was a hybrid 020 box fitted to small block engines on the late mk3 too? if so those will likely be 90mm as well

3. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Cheers RJ...that could explain why Tony said 1.6 maybe it was off of one of those and not a diesel! If the 90mm shafts are circa 8mm longer than the 100mm shaft I picked up then that'd make complete sense as the one I have measured in at 454mm and TonyB's was measured as 465mm...so pretty close ;)

4. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

So after RJs comments and also some advice from CE I have had a trawl through ETKA and it seems that the Mk3 Golf normally aspirated 1.9 Diesels, 1.4 & 1.6 petrol engines with the following engine codes were all fitted with the same 90mm short driveshafts, which if the trend from Mk1 & Mk2 Golfs holds true should be 8mm longer than their equivalent 100mm shafts.....Diesel - 1Y, AEY / 1.4 - AEX / 1.6 - AFT, AEE, AEK.

When it comes to long driveshafts the diesel shafts are the same but the other four have a different part number however I suspect the difference may be that the diesel shafts are listed as having balance weights on the shafts whereas the others don't have this mentioned.

5. rubjonny

cool those codes must have the hybrid 085/020 box or are big block style with small cc. id be pretty sure as you say that the right shaft is same length for both just weight or not, had a quick look at the differential page and the output shafts + flanges are same for all 90mm boxes so I think its safe to assume the diff housing is same regardless of if 020 or the dodgy 020/085 hybrid (02k?)

6. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Dodgy hybrid 02K :o How very dare you as that's what'll be using in the new track/race car I'm building.....albeit modified with a 020 Quaife, 8v 3rd & 4th and 16v 5th ;)

7. rubjonny

:lol:

got a build thread? ;)

8. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Nope not on that one I'm afraid as I'm at the mercy of the guy that is doing my shell prep at the moment.....it was meant to be finished last March and is still not done now [:x] I have lot's of pics of all the bits that'll be going in and on it but that won't really make for a good read lol

To give you a taster though......

2.0L ABK tall block with lightened knifedged crank, forged rods, forged pistons.
    Pistons machined and block decked to give circa 12.5-13:1 CR
    JMR X-flow head with supertech valve gear and solid followers, JMR race cam (or may use Kent GS6, still undecided)
    JMR custom inlet manifold with Jenvey ITBs
    Emerald K3 ECU
    Modified Ashley exhaust manifold (Ex TonyB one)
    Lightened flywheel and Helix paddle clutch
    02K gearbox running 020 Quaife diff and mish mash of ratios
    HPR bias pedal box and hydraulic clutch conversion
    Wilwood front brakes & 300mm discs
    Ibiza Cupra rears
    Widetracked and polybushed throughout
    Quaife quickrack
    Berg cup arches, fibreglass wings, bonnet, tailgate and doors.
    Carbon fibre roof
    Perspex windows throughtout except for front screen which is clear heated jobbie..
    Gax coilovers
    Eibach ARBs

That's going to be the initial setup there or there abouts.......;)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  9. rubjonny

should be nippy then!

10. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Maybe......;)

11. 1.8tguy New Member

First post here and I want to add my bit to this great forum.
    So today I got my hands on a OS shaft from a golf Mk 3 1.8 with a balance weight on it that I removed to make accurate measurements:
    Total shaft length 692mm +-0.5mm
    Length at center of cir-clip groove :678mm +-0.5mm
    Inner flange was 100mm.

12. rubjonny

cool seems to confirm the 4 stud mk3 lengths we have :thumbup:

13. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

I picked up the o/s Mk3 TDI shaft to go with the n/s I picked up the other week and can confirm that it's lengths match those in post #211 above.

14. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

anyone got a spare drivers side shaft for a mk2 1.6/1.8 cl 90mm joints
    or a set i could get rebuilt, as am looking to swap out my set to see if that is what is causing my wobble.
    cheers
    john

15. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

hello all
    managed to get a good driveshaft at long last
    it measures 780mm long from face of inner joint to very tip of outer joint.
    that is the drivers side shaft, no idea on the pass side one, oh and it is 90mm joints so cl/gl car not gti

cheers
    John

16. numbnuts Forum Member

Hi All,

I am thinking of transplanting the whole engine/drivetrain from my m2 golf (283hp tdi) into my mk1. I was thinking of running the mk2 hubs & driveshafts on the mk1 wishbones, as the driveshafts are custom to fit the o2M in there presently. I know they are all similar as when I bought the mk2 i found out it was running mk1 hubs with welded caliper carriers to space out the calipers to 280mm discs?! These were replaced with mk2 g60 hubs which meant I had to replace the coilovers to fit the mk2 hubs.
    My question is, will the track be the same with the mk1 wishbones to fit the mk2 hub/driveshaft length? Or is there another way I could aproach this, rather than new custom driveshafts?
    Thanks for the help

17. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Short shaft measured to 452mm. Long shaft will be measured when I take the inner CV off.
    [​IMG]

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The Mk2 is a wider car and the engine offset is different, so the straight transfer of the shafts wouldn't work.

With the Mk2 hubs you would also need to correct steering arm geometry and also use Mk2 dampers / or correct Mk1 damper mounting to the MK2 hubs.

There are simpler / easier ways than this to achieve what you want by using Mk1 parts. 02Ms in Mk1s however are uncommon and no measurements have been recorded on 02M output shaft inner distances. Nearside shaft also rumoured to be notably short.

19. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

• Passat 4-stud (~88 - 96)
      • Short shaft: 452mm
      • Long shaft: 688mm

So my long shaft ties up, but my short shaft appears 4mm too short. [:s]

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Too short compared to which shaft? Is the 452mm listed above a quote by myself?