Driveshaft lengths (bare driveshaft lengths) ** wanted **

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by RobT, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

If they're recons, there's a risk they don't know what they've even got. As can be seen on this thread, there's plenty of choice!

Are you wide-tracking Rich? Four stud Mk2 hubs or five stud VR?

3. Richard Mk2

Yeah that's true Chris.

No wide track on mine, just standard 4 stud with 16v hubs.

Might give these a miss then and just recondition my current ones.

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Oh definitely - don't mess about buying that stuff. Four GKN CVs from GSF, and a lick of black paint - done!

Richard Mk2 likes this.
  5. Richard Mk2

:thumbup:

6. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Your updated list here shows Passat 4 stud as follows:

Those measurements came from danster here.

Mine is:

Unlike danster who broke the car himself, I can't vouch for the originality of my shafts, as I bought them of Lizard (Alex) and he'd bought them off someone else.
    However, the driveshaft lengths work fine in my car with no CV issues. :thumbup:

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

automatic shafts are different arnt they, maybe thats why?

8. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

NFI I'm afraid. :)

To save other people some hassle, if you're running these shafts with 100mm CVs. When buying CV boots, just order standard Golf 16v items. Don't try and work out which is the correct Passat item, you'll just end up going back to GSF at least 3 times. [:$]lol I can laugh about it now.

9. rubjonny

yeah the passat is a lovely complex beasty when checking parts, so I used mk3 4 stud instead :lol:

10. razvan1515 New Member

Hello,
    I'm new around herr, and hope my english will be ok, i'm from romania.
    I need opinion from somebody who has some experience in swaps.
    I have a strange vibration and noise when i make right turn driving with speeds above 30/40 km/h.
    Here is what i made to car:
    It is a vw golf mk2 from 1991, ce2, with 1.3 carb, engine code MH.
    Recently i've swaped in a 2.0 8v engine code 2e from golf mk3, with CHE transmission (020 i think)
    I've changed:
    engine support, and tampons.
    100 mm flanges that i have mounted on stock driveshafts that were on 1.3 engine.
    The brakes are 256 mm from 1.9tdi golf mk3.

I think the problem is from driveshafts, can anybody tell me which is the best option for driveshafts on this swap?

It will work ok with mk2 driveshafts from 1.6 diesel or gas? Or i need from 1.8 ?

Thanks!
    If i have missed some detail of mods i made i'll write it down imd.

11. rubjonny

1.3 driveshafts are wrong length this is the issue, you need proper 100mm shafts from a MK2 GTI :)

12. razvan1515 New Member

Ok, i have 100mm flange at the ends of transsmision, from mk3 driveshaft and the "stick" and the other ends from wheels are from 1.3.

Can i use the driveshafts (short one end long one) from 1.6 or 1.8 8v mk2 or I need mk2 gti 16v ones?

Do i need to make other changes?

13. rubjonny

if you have mk2 wishbones you need mk2 gti shafts, complete. 8v or 16v makes no odds. 90spoec 1.8 carb have 100mm shafts as well, as do 4 cylinder corrado, and some models of seat ibiza/cordoba/toledo

14. razvan1515 New Member

I have mk2 wishbones. I'll try to find complete shafts from 1.8 mk2. Hope problem will be solved. Thanks and happy new year to all dubbers.

15. 1.8tguy New Member

Hello to all,
    I've been searching but I can't seem to find any info on Mk4 shafts, are they compatible with the inner and outer joints from a 4 stud 100mm driveshaft? I mean are the splines the same, or do they require any mods to make them fit.
    I hope someone knows because I need some longer shafts for widetracking my Mk1 ,I need about 30mm longer shafts.

Edit:
    Never mind, I was being stupid and didn't realize that 5 stud is the same for mk3 and mk4 as in shafts won't fit without mods.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  16. 1.8tguy New Member

Yesterday I got a shaft that was supposed to be from a Mk3 .It had the 90mm flange. But upon measuring it it turns out it's the longest SHORT shaft I've seen yet, measuring:
    Total: 487mm +- 1mm
    Distance between center circlip groove: 475mm

That is a huge difference compared to the 442mm for a short shaft, that i personally removed from a 1.8 mk3 with 100mm flange. even taking into account the 9mm or so for the 90mm vs 100m flanges.
    When i checked a parts catalog I found that there are indeed 2 driveshaft lengths for the short shaft that were fitted to the mk3 with a 90mm gearbox flange. And I got the wrong one for what I needed.
    If anyone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it .

17. rubjonny

you may have 085 type shaft from a small block car?

18. 1.8tguy New Member

AHH that must be it, Found the confirmation on this very thread (duhh) , the NS shaft is indeed longer on the mk3 with 085 box and the length as I measured it is as above.
    So this is a very easy wide track recipe for those who need about 50mm on an mk1 and also want 100mm flanges : you need a NS shaft from a mk3 with 085 gearbox(swap the 90mm flange with a 100mm one), and the OS shaft from a mk3 wth 020 box with 100mm flange.
    I think thats correct.

This thread is getting really long I think a spread sheet with all the shafts would be great .

19. RedFighter New Member

Hello. I have a little problem with my short shaft.

I own a Corrado '89. Originaly was g60 with 4 stud. Now is 1.8 20vt with 02A Gearbox (100mm) and 5 stud spindle from early passat b3 vr6 with my originaly corrado g60 arms.
    The Long shaft is ok. never broke: 666mm, 654mm circlip centreline to centreline BUT
    The Short shaft: 432mm, 419mm circlip centreline to centreline .. 8 time broke the inner head to gearbox. This shaft was 448mm lengh before and than i cut and weld it to 432mm. I need an ideea please. Will the 5 stud head fit to the 4 stud shaft? Thanks a lot

20. RedFighter New Member

i don't remember exactly if the shaft is the same from 4 to 5 stud. i made this conversion about 3 years ago...