My MK2 Golf 16VT at Rockingham vs Gurds in his MK1 16VT

Discussion in 'The Video Forum' started by Nige, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Next to last session of the day, having a play with Gurds. Rambow was my passenger, Matt was with Gurds.

I`ve tweaked the video a bit, now higher quality, better sound and slightly zoomed in on Gurds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J-xv-UDocg
    [video=youtube;2J-xv-UDocg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J-xv-UDocg[/video]

I was running A048`s, BC Coilovers with Eibach ERS Springs, stock front ARB, no rear, Front splitter and no other Aero.

Engine is a stock ABF. Rehoned, new Goetze rings, Stock head, eBay rods, TD04-16HT Turbo with no boost control, just actuator pressure and Megasquirt controlling the fuel / spark. Spark is much reduced from what`s possible, this only had 2 hours mapping before I headed to Rockingham.

Further tweaks before the next outing at Bedford are wiring up the Megasquirt to control boost to give improved spooling, fix the loose splitter and attempt to sort the breathing issue.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the vid, we certainly enjoyed making it lol

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    G28OPN, rambow, vw_singh and 5 others like this.
  2. BURNI

BURNI Forum Member

Picks up well nige:thumbup:

Nige likes this.
  3. Collie Forum Junkie

looks like it shifts well 40 - 80 looks impressive

Nige likes this.
  4. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Nice, goes well! Great weather as well :)

Any traction issues ??

5. Nige

Driving the car felt great, engine revved to redline just as I hoped, no tailing off at all. I had to be more progressive with the throttle, booting it in 3rd just span up both fronts That`s not a bad thing, it just made me smoother. ;)

Main `issue` is the effect of lifting the throttle mid corner. On N/A, it was easier to balance, with this setup it`s harder. As soon as you lift, the boost is dumped and the engine output changes noticeably. I have to be MUCH more gentle on throttle movements mid corner now. They all do that, I just need to get used to it.

I really struggled with braking at the end of the long straight in the morning. Took me a while to realise why. I was losing servo assistance at the end of the straight, so when I tried to H&T, I just wasn`t getting the braking I needed. Once I stopped trying to H&T, I could brake much harder I`ll be Teeing in a Vacuum reservoir before Bedford to see if that helps, it should do. The non-return valve is working, but there is much less time when the engine is under vac compared to N/A. Braking when I do have engine vac is just the same as usual.

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Nige you seemed to be able to maintain consistently high corner speeds to reel back Gurds when he has dusted it on the straights. The lower boost setting and your progressive throttle control seem to have been the best match.

Nige likes this.
  7. Jommanjo Forum Member

That must have been fantastic after all your hard work. :clap:

Nige likes this.
  8. Nige

That`s pretty much what Gurds and I said :thumbup:

The driveability of mine is very good. The only slight area for improvement is the spool time. Although it`s quick, there is a noticeable `lag` at low rpm in a high gear. Some corners, 3rd is too short and 4th too tall. Gurds had the same issue, but where his EBC allows a quicker spooling at lower rpm, mine takes a little longer as the wastegate is already venting much needed boost. Once I have that under control, I really think it`ll be even better :)

If I then increase the boost target at higher RPM and add some timing back into the spark table, I might be able to stop him dusting me on the straights ;)

Jommanjo, it certainly was !!

9. Toyotec

The EBC allows better control of boost and can, if it is good, reduce overshoot for aggressive boosting turbos. Your spool up would be dictated by the type of turbo and your philosophy to control combustion in the boost ramping area.
    Listening to your car at full chat, the turbo looks to be coming it at 3500rpm, but then you are only 'bleading' to run 0.65bar. Where as vw_singh's GT2860 BB unit is faster spooling and ramping up to 1bar, hence the squirming on exit.

10. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Gizzmo FTW.

How have you run brake servo pipe? What inlet are you using?

11. TrackCab16v Forum Member

absolutely brilliant on both cars , both engines holding together well, a real test on trackday conditions , great driving , top vid , allways find it more enjoyable if you got a couple of similar power cars having a play ,:thumbup:

12. Nige

Brake Servo is to the end of the plenum using the 1.8T tapping point. I`m using the same as you, KR lower, BAM upper with ABF TB :thumbup:

I`ve tweaked the video a bit, now higher quality, better sound and slightly zoomed in on Gurds, first post edited with new link.

A guy at work can TIG pretty well and he TIG`d the 2 halves together for me. I then ported the inside of the runners where the 2 join :thumbup:.

Here are all the pics I can find that show the inlet setup.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As it is now (ignore the temporary catch tank & tissue on the right ;) )
    [​IMG]

13. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

This was an EPIC day and we had all had a brilliant time. Here is a vid from my car where you can watch the action from another angle.

[video=youtube;0E3q71dY-eY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E3q71dY-eY[/video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E3q71dY-eY

Gurds

AjVR, Toyotec and Nige like this.
  14. Gup16v Forum Member

both cars looking good:thumbup:

Nige and vw_singh like this.
  15. BURNI

BURNI Forum Member

Looks like it pulls like a train gurds:thumbup:

Mid corner on the boost looks fun :o

16. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Cheers guys. Less is definitely more. I was running 1 bar in that session which made corner exit difficult to say the least! Much easier to drive on lower boost levels.

Gurds

Nige likes this.
  17. TrackCab16v Forum Member

sheer pace of both cars are epic , credit to both of you , turbo 16v holding to well to , achievement in its self , :thumbup:
    got to have a go of building one now [:D]

both cars don't sound as good as the na throttle body roar though lollollol, great vid :thumbup:

18. Toyotec

Good video Gurds.

Lots of grunt everywhere on the ol' tomato coloured thing!

Nige is carrying so much speed in the twisties!

Nige likes this.
  19. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Chassis > Power

Everytime! :-)

sparrow, Nige, Toyotec and 1 other person like this.
  20. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Totally agree with you Henry! lol