Oak Green 16V - Restoration project

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by vr6syncro, Sep 28, 2014.

1. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Some very tidy work there :thumbup:

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

A Thread Update Demand is hereby served.

Sirguydo likes this.
  3. vr6syncro Paid Member Paid Member

Haha. Sorry for the lack of updates. Work slowed down as the NS rear arch repair panels I needed were on back order for ages. I got them just before Christmas so I'll have an update in the coming weeks. Just need to pull my finger out!

Sirguydo and Trev16v like this.
  4. Trev16v

Awesome!

(I just feel all superior because I've finally updated my thread properly after about seven years, so I feel like I have the right to pester others to update theirs. :lol: )

5. jasongtr Forum Member

some great repair work going on on this car, i do love an oak green mk2, glad to see one having a restoration being done

6. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Nice work on this :thumbup:

7. vr6syncro Paid Member Paid Member

Oak Green 16V - Restoration project (Small update 20/09/15)

So it's been a while since my last post. Progress has been slow due to a change of circumstances in February which meant i no longer had a garage or the space to continue. Fortunately i do now so i am almost ready to continue in the coming weeks and will make regular updates over the winter. My hope is to get the bodyshell ready for paint in the next 6 months which should be achievable.

I'm limited for space so i decided to strip the engine down with the plan of either putting into storage (for a future rebuild) or throwing in the bin. When it was removed from the car i had it stored in a lock-up i didn't realise leaked like a sieve. It ended up a mess so after putting it somewhere dry i decided to forget about it. Anyway, if there are any experts out there maybe you can give me some advice on whether this is worth saving or not.

Rusty mess!!

[​IMG]

Main bearings look ok.

[​IMG]

Big ends not in great shape. Not shot but it looks like some dirt has gone through the oil at some point.

[​IMG]

The crank journals are scratched but very light. I think this could be polished out.

[​IMG]

Very deep scores in both crank seal journals. I think the only way to get round this would be to fit a sleeve (SKF Speedi-sleeve).

[​IMG]

Plenty of carbon on the pistons and some scoring on the skirts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cylinders are quite pitted due to rust. I could overcome this with a rebore and go down the 1.9 route. If i decide not to can this be rectified?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The key in the camshaft pulley has sheared off at some point and also chipped a piece off the end of the camshaft.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Camshaft bearing caps. Some light scoring.

[​IMG]

Cams OK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall i'm a bit disappointed. I would really like to put this engine back in the car but it looks like the effort won't be worth it. Other options are a second hand engine but i would be reluctant to but anything but a freshly reconditioned unit in a restored car. If money was no object i'd buy a 1.9 16v from TSR but 2400 will be way over the budget. Anyway, i've got a long way to go with the rest of the car so plenty of time to think.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

depends how original you want to keep the car I suppose, if it was me I'd fit abf engine on abf managment. you could run it on kjet if you want to keep the bay looking original though. or go for the 9a lump for a more 'period' upgrade I suppose, plus it would sit the same height as the KR so harder for the purists to notice its not a kr any more ;)

crank is no biggy really, its the same as a 1.8 8v so a good replacement is easy to find. block itself probably sortable after boring it out to 1.9, may not even have to go that far could just need to go a + size on the rings perhaps. a local engineering shop woudl be able to advise there!

camshaft looks to be fine, but again not like replacements are hard to find if not.

9. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

some nice work love the welding

crank don't look that bad measure it see how bad it is

10. enc. Forum Member

Any update on this project ?

11. vr6syncro Paid Member Paid Member

Updates will be coming in the next few weeks. I've booked some time off work soon to get cracking.

As for the engine...I've put it all in storage for the time being as I've got plenty of other things to be getting on with. When I get a chance I will take it to an engine builder for some advice. I would prefer to keep this engine in standard form. Going 1.9 would be nice but probably not worth the cost involved in parts. We'll see.

12. vr6syncro Paid Member Paid Member

Small update. I booked today off work to get some time on the car. My aim is to get the drivers side painted and finished asap so i can spin the car around to start on the other side.

I spent most of the day doing final prep and then cleaning ready for paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then finished up with some paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I left a few areas that sill need attention but this side is pretty much finished. It's been a huge amount of work to get this far....something not expected at the beginning.

Sirguydo and beetie like this.
  13. vr6syncro Paid Member Paid Member

24/11/2015

Another update with much of the same. I've pretty much finished the drivers side so i've turned the car around to start on the passenger side. Just need to keep chipping away at the rust.

Same as the other side...starting with sill repair.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cleaned up with a wire wheel to see how far i need to cut back

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut sections out of the sill which is time consuming as i didn't want to cut through too many layers. I also removed this jacking point panel because it needs to come off for a repair to the chassis rail.

[​IMG]

Preparing the repair sections.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Welding....had loads of issues with my welder today. The wire kept snagging in the feed mechanism which was really frustrating. I also struggled to get it set perfectly to prevent blowing holes. Got there in the end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cleaned up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Painted for the time being to prevent any flash rust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully i will get some time on the car this weekend to start on the rear arch.

beetie likes this.
  14. Trev16v

Awesome work. As ever I'm seriously impressed with the standard to which you do things on this.

15. vr6syncro Paid Member Paid Member

Thank you very much.

16. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Amazing work dude!

17. vr6syncro Paid Member Paid Member

19/12/2015

I've been continuing with the progress recently around the NS rear wheel arch. Found some more rust around the rear panel where the tail-pipe recess is so need to order a lower panel to cut out the repair sections. I'll sort that in the new year. Anyway, i'll let the pictures do the talking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come in the new year. Hopefully i'll get some time on the car over the Christmas holidays.

beetie, Toyotec and blis like this.
  18. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Great work

19. blis Forum Member

+1

20. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Every little piece counts!

Keep up the great standard of work! Looking forward to the next post.