Mk2 Gti 2.1 ABF Track Toy

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by holdawayt, Jun 11, 2018.

1. holdawayt Forum Member

Hi all,
    Just a very brief introduction (I've been here before but it was some years ago). I'm Tom from Stourbridge in the midlands and this is my new project.

[​IMG]

It's a 2.1 litre TSR ABF bottom end with tweaked KR head. It goes like stink and sounds stunning, I'm really happy with it.
    The car has been stripped of carpets, door cards, headlining, soundproofing etc, all of which was replaced with 2 bucket seats, pvc windows and a safety devices roll cage. There's a lot more going on like vibratechnics engine mounts, FK coilovers and the Compomotives.

The PVC windows would be fine in winter, however lack of ventilation turned the Golf into an oven during summer so I've bunged the electric windows back in and now I can drive the thing with some ventilation! Further plans are to get some welding sorted, a good tidy up underneath, Mk4 rear calipers, get it MOT passable and enjoy it on track and the road.

Can't wait to get some more pics and share the rest of the project with you.

Tom.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    pascal77uk likes this.
  2. ivanro_jo Forum Member

Nice project! is it kjetronic?

3. holdawayt Forum Member

It is indeed, I believe it's an ABF with the KR inlet allowing it to retain K-jet.
    Either way, it goes very well and I won't be changing much there.

4. Break Forum Member

Did you pick it up locally? reminds me of one i saw driving around last summer around Romsley area.

looks great, will be great fun.

5. holdawayt Forum Member

It's off a friend of mine from Clent, so yep it would've been this one.

The car wouldn't idle last night, the idle control valve doesn't buzz on ignition but if I put 12v to it while the engine is running it'll pick the revs back up.
    Does this sound like the Idle control valve is broken? I know normally if they go the car will over-rev where as mine cut right out and wouldn't idle.
    Just found it weird that the valve itself works if I put 12v to it, wondering if the wiring that powers it might be at fault.

6. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

Welcome back. Nice ride. You're just down the road from me so no doubt see it out and about:thumbup:

7. holdawayt Forum Member

Bit of an update then.

The car was very *ahem* crusty in places. The worst bits were the rear panel where it meets the boot floor and the rear strut tops.
    The sills were looking a bit worse for wear too. One of the previous owners had filled these holes with fibreglass filler so I decided to have it done properly.
    As this is going to be on track a fair bit I wanted to make sure it was as rigid as it could be (roll cage helps but I wanted to be sure).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I sent the Golf to Jon at Broad Arrow Classic Cars in Stourbridge. He had the car for a week and has cut all of the structural rot out and replaced it with good metal. He also stitch welded around my rear struts. Not sure if there's any benefit but I've seen it done on some race builds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's a load more pics but I won't bore you. The end result is a nice solid starting point that I can chuck around a circuit without worrying about what the chassis is doing too much.

In other news I've replaced the temp sensor that moves the gauge in the dash, changed the plugs, carried out a full service including refurbing the front mounted oil cooler and bled the brakes. This weekend I'll be investigating a noisy tappet and finally giving the old girl a wash.

Updates as and when.

Tom.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    erreesse likes this.
  8. holdawayt Forum Member

[​IMG]

Time for a brief and underwhelming update.

The MOT ran out on the Golf in August and it was far from road legal as it was.
    I've had to fit the original bonnet for the windscreen washer system and I've retrofitted a washer bottle system.
    Fitting the original bonnet meant fitting a new bonnet release catch and cable. I didn't get pics of this as it's fairly boring stuff.
    I've gone round the car with a typical MOT inspection in mind and I'm not far off now. I have a split CV boot that will need some attention and I've got a few more lights and warning lamps to fix but it's almost there.

In other news I've installed my SWG Motorsport scuttle cover.

[​IMG]

I love how these look and it also keeps my feet dry as I don't have any of the heater system etc.

Progress is going to slow somewhat as this isn't my only project. I have a BMW R100RT that I'm chopping up into a café racer.
    Apologies if you're a purist but I've always wanted to do a boxer twin and this came up at the right price.
    I've carried out a fork conversion from a 2008 GSXR 750 which gives me better road handling and far superior brakes.
    Sorry if you're not into bikes, thought it might be cool for some.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers,

Tom.

9. gtiden New Member

Evening tom, it's good to know that this gti lives on, i helped simon to build this engine many years ago, the thing was effing quick at the time, and hopefully still is.

10. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Good stuff Tom, scary when crunchiness hides in them! I am partly afraid to start stripping my own one ... They're a flexible old thing to start with before they start to rust as well lol.
    Ever considered a rear cage?

11. holdawayt Forum Member

Thanks Tristan,

The rust was annoying but I think it's to be expected with a car of this age. At least this one was already stripped so I could see the extent of the damage before the garage got stuck in.

I'm considering lots, including a full cage and better seats / harnesses / steering wheel etc but that all comes at a cost.
    At the moment I'm focussing on suspension and steering as everything's a bit tired, then it needs a new Jetex twin exhaust system.
    That should see me through a year of track days (touch wood) and we can go from there.

Looking forward to a shakedown at Curborough in the spring, we're renting the track out for the day to test our winter builds.

Cheers,
    Tom.

12. holdawayt Forum Member

Great to hear from you GtiDen.
    Thanks for your hard work, it's certainly paid off.
    I was tempted to drop something with more power in but after driving it I'm more than happy for now - super responsive too.

13. holdawayt Forum Member

Long overdue update...

The car has been moved to my Father-in-law's house as he's an absolute legend and wants to help, between us we have enough experience to really do this car justice. We took it out for a quick blast before putting it away, the engine is really healthy and with 170bhp and hardly any weight - it really pulls well.
    [​IMG]

First job was to make a start on the mk4 rear caliper swap, now before you slate me for mounting them upside down - I'm told by the best in the business that this is correct when installing them on an early Mk2 like mine. I'm just waiting for my conversion hoses off Goodridge before we can complete the install. The subframe and arches are due for a tidy up too.
    [​IMG]

The headlights were knackered so I've replaced them with a set of crystal units. I couldn't leave the old rusty bolts in so I've replaced them with stainless M6 cap head screws (this should be a common theme throughout the car). Together with the uprated headlight loom and the superbright OSRAM bulbs I should have decent visibility at night. While i was there I also mounted the oil cooler slightly lower down on some new brackets. Eventually I'll paint the areas showing surface rust so there's not as much of a contrast between new and old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next weekend we'll finish off the handbrake cables and bleed the brakes. The coilovers (FK Konigsport) have been removed so I'll attack them with a wire brush and give them a service.

Not much but progress is progress, track day booked at Curborough on the 23rd April so that's our target.
    Thanks for reading,

Tom.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    erreesse likes this.
  14. holdawayt Forum Member

Pics aren't working for some reason, tried various hosting sites and still nothing. If a mod could take a look I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

15. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Looking good , personally I love 16v :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: but I run KR engines ( well I have Kr engines running is a different thing [8(]).

My Mk2 track car weighs 895 Kgs and I could reduce that by a bit if I tried , but not fussed until I can drive it better on track .

16. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Just finished my mk2 rally build and the 'upside down' caliper bit makes some sense to me now.

I mounted mine the right way up but had to modify the handbrake system to get the cable lengths anywhere near correct
    Jon

17. holdawayt Forum Member

Jon, did you end up cutting the guide tubes down to make them work/?
    I haven't hooked the cables up to the lever yet so this may not work but we'll see.

Sirguydo - I've had a KR in the past and if this wasn't already fitted with the ABF I'd be happy with the KR, really superb engines. I imagine I'm around the 950kg region but I'm keen to get it on a weighbridge. I'll put that on my job list [:D]

18. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you'll soon see if you need to or not, on my mk1 cab with mk3 rear brakes fitted the right way up the scirocco 16v cables just wouldn't reach the handbrake lever at all. 10mm off the guide tubes and all sorted.

but mk1 guys have used early mk2 cables and found they fitted straight on no bother so who knows...

19. holdawayt Forum Member

I'll report back after Saturday, I reckon I'll have enough cable to mount them the right way up but if not it's no problem flipping them over.

I do have a slight problem with the handbrake lever and the bracket that the cables pass through. Because the car was fully stripped out when I bought it and I've not owned a Mk2 for some years, I can't remember for the life of me how the bracket is fixed to the lever. I can see that someone's tried to weld it in the past but if someone could show a pic of an early Mk2 handbrake cable setup showing the bracket and how it attaches to the lever that'd be ideal.

Coilover tidy up starts tonight, I'll post some pics up if they come out alright.

20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin