VR6 (Auto) CE2 into Mk1

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by bonus85, Apr 11, 2019.

1. bonus85 Forum Member

Hi

I went ahead and bought a VR donor cos of its low mileage, originality and full VWSH but....

it was an auto.[eek][eek]

I've since changed the box to a V5 manual.

I am about to start wiring up, keeping as much of the wiring as I can from the donor, inc. the fusebox, splicing the dash wires in.

Am I gonna run into headaches adapting the auto wiring/ecu??

Any help much appreciated of course!

2. bonus85 Forum Member

1997 OBD2 btw, into non gti 1989 caddy!

3. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

From memory it's all the same apart from the added gear selector. It will only start if it's in park and the ECU will always look for that so i think you have to do some extra wiring.

4. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Hi, bonus,

The engine compartment harness of a mk.3 usually has a 2-pin connector breaking out the thick Red-black* wire for the starter solenoid (terminal/function '50' on diagrams). Automatics plug in the safety switching here, while manuals simply have a connector socket fitted with a wire loop

* or is it Black-red? (and the breakout is on the cabin/fusebox side of the bulkhead)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  5. bonus85 Forum Member

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

early corrado stalks are the same as CE2 mk2 golf so will plug in if you're going full ce2 conversion. you can use mk3 stalks as well with a bit of work to the hazard button if the roundy look tickles your fancy or you need a cheap emergency set of stalks

they wont fit on CE1 ignition housing though so you'll have to swap that over plus the CE2 lock housing wont fit the MK1 column tube either so you need to chop off the mounting lug. Ideally re-weld it in the correct CE2 position but most just leave it off

plus the ignition switch isnt the same either, but the mk1 ignition lock will fit a ce2 housign though if you want to keep your original key.

7. bonus85 Forum Member

Well I went for the Corrado stalks, I'm thinking of going quite minimal, no ignition barrel - push to start button so I'll have a little play around with that. Fully custom dash made by Sunseeker [8D]

I wonder if the speed sensor from the auto box will work on the 02j [8-}]- haven't tried that yet!

8. rubjonny

I wouldnt have thought so, but you never know. worst case splice the MK4 plug to mk3 wiring or hunt around for earlier 02A/J sensor with square plug not difficult to find

9. bonus85 Forum Member

Cheers rj. Hopefully I can bump into and shake ur hand one day

Which knock sensors go where?? Didn’t realise there are 3 in my big pile of wiring

10. rubjonny

you got 2 knock sensors and a crank sensor :)
    1 knock sensor is on the driver side near the MAF, the other one is on the gearbox side and the plug hangs about with the crank sensor

11. bonus85 Forum Member

Will the mk2 switch work with the original mk1 key/barrel? if I use a mk2 housing

12. rubjonny

the ignition switch is different ce1 and ce2 as is the plug on the back so you'll have to splice that as well as the stalk looms etc. The pins are standard timer and widely available if you have a good crimp tool

13. bonus85 Forum Member

I actually have the donor mk3 key, however i didn't get take the barrel before I scrapped it. It has the immobiliser code doesnt it, so if I use a ce2 housing, with the immobiliser ring+ecu - I'd need a new barrel that works with the key - dunno if thats possible!

Looks like its easier to just get a CE2 housing including the key, delete the immob and just have different door keys.

14. bonus85 Forum Member

Actually I could take the chip out of the key and put it into another one, like toms eyes in minority report

15. rubjonny

you can swap the mk1 lock barrel into the ce2 housing then get a new mk3 chip key cut to your locks, swap chip and jobs a goodun :)

before you do that though check to see if the mk3 key reader will fit under the mk1 ignition plastics. though on that note the ignition plastics probably wont fit the ce2 lock housing even if you cut a hole for the hazard switch? if so use ce2 mk2 ignition plastics the key reader fits under those no problem. maybe mk3 would work, though they're a bit wider than mk1/2 so may not look right

16. bonus85 Forum Member

A little progress mock up pic

I'll be swapping the immobiliser chip in the key from the original donor, as that key isn't the matching one. VR6 had MFA too, will be sweet having that working.

I just need to track down all the loose connectors, some could be airbag stuff. I'll make sure there's enough movement for the accelerator pedal, and that the wires aren't going to trap the cable on full throttle!

3BFD6F94-CDDC-40C5-A9F1-67BB9584B231.jpeg

17. rubjonny

looking good so far :)

18. bonus85 Forum Member

Thanks! Maybe I dont need a dashboard after all - all they do is crack and collect holes from sat nav mounts anyway

I want to retain as much of the CE2 loom as poss - but the original bulb holders of are the weak link!

Maybe I can plastic weld mk3 ones in somehow.

19. bonus85 Forum Member

Engine won’t start on the key, only if we bridge the ecu fuel pump control, as the fuel pump won’t prime otherwise.

I seem to be missing what the Bentley manual calls a transmission control module, although I never remember getting one from the donor car...! Can’t seem to find anything online about one either

Have one random 10 pin connector near the fusebox not connected up which takes two wires off the ecu, one off the reverse light switch along with a couple of others

Am I going mad, is the tcm a real thing??!

I have no cluster life either, only the digi clock and mileage

20. rubjonny

yes the VR6 gearbox has a control unit, so I guess you didn't get that + loom from the donor!

for the fuel pump check the wire from g1/13, look for a 2 pin plug fitted inline with it. If this is empty, you need to bridge the 2 pins to get the pump working, there is a jumper plug with a looped wire which fits here and can be found on later mk3 petrol cars. Alternatively you can de-pin the ecu side of the plug and pop it direct to g1/3 if it will reach

make sure you have an ignition live into E/2, this would be fed by a black wire to a jumper block above the fusebox which in turn is fed with ignition live from D/8. also make sure g1/5 is earthed, but if ecu loom is unmodified that should be taken care of already