mk4 Vr6 engine into a Mk2 oem1 golf conversion....

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Amzyg86, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Amzyg86 New Member

Has anyone done this swap? been trying to find the best way to go about it. My boyfriends dream is to have a vr6 conversion in his mk2 and we already have all the parts from the mk4 golf but been told that its a nightmare conversion so was just wondering if anyone has done this and what issues have occur ed.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

mk2/3 golf is pretty straight forward, drops in on standard mounts and shafts if you stick to 5 speed box just needs custom manifold which are available to buy off the shelf and conversion engine wiring loom which can be had from various loom suppliers or you can do it yourself:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.ph...install-faq-now-with-added-dieselness.267196/

in a mk1 golf its a bit more difficult, there are 3 main options:
    1. buy expensive subframe and driveshaft kit from a german supplier, I forget off hand but someone will chime in
    2. chop up a mk3 golf subframe and weld mount cups to mk1 chassis legs, uneeds custom shafts and make custom front bracket
    3. chop up the mk1 shell and modify till a mk3 golf subframe and MK2/3 rack, wishbones, shafts can be bolted on and make custom front bracket, use standard mk2 or mk3 shafts and make a custom steering universal joint + boot

all 3 options will require custom manifold and wiring loom, and for option 2 and 3 its a good plan to make up a brace for the front mounting area to pickup from front bumper bolts to add strength. loads of info on this, was even an off the shelf option back in the day for more standard MK1 with high performance 4 cylinder engines fitted. option 3 has the advantage of allowing you to use mk2/3 steering racks for easy PAS conversion, plus wheel bearing carriers for wider range of brake upgrads and/or 5 stud if you wanted it.

3. rubjonny

so you have to be pretty dedicated to go that route, instead of using one of the many 4 cylinder engines which bolt directly to a mk1 with standard parts and just tune that instead

4. swiftkid New Member

I'm presuming you are across the pond somewhere judging by calling it a mk4 VR6, we didn't get 12v mk4's - at least I don't think we did.

When you say mk2 oem1 do you mean mk2 CE1? and when you say mk4 vr6 do you mean 12v or 24v?

Either way it's done hundreds of times before, there's mk2vr6.com which is dedicated to.. well mk2 vr6's. If you are wanting to go 24v (2.8 4motion/r32) you'll need to basically convert to VR6 or make a mongrel with subframe/driveshafts to keep 4 stud. I thought you needed a VR6 subframe as the engine mount is in a different position on the 6pot compared with 4pot but if RubJonny says not, his word is gospel.

The very very easiest way to do the swap is get a mk3 vr6, undo the subframe & suspension, roll it out and roll it into the mk3. If you then want to go 24v, just swap engines, looms & exhaust. Few other bits but that's the basics

5. bonus85 Forum Member

Kits available for Mk1....Eurowise, S&P in the US, Retrofication in the uk which are a supplier of EPYTEC in Germany.

6. rubjonny

I dont see MK1 mentioned anywhere now I read back through this post, so I don't really know where I got that idea from... so yeah, ignore pretty much every thing I said :lol:

the mk3 subframe is the same basic shape for all models, some dont have the metal weight brackets on IIRC but apart from that any will do. the corrado vr6 subframe is similar to mk3 except the rear engine cup is slightly shorter and the legs that poke out past the rear wishbone bush holes are a little shorter. You can cut and re-weld the cup on a mk3 subframe if you like, or there are mods to shorten rear mount lots of info about so you dont really need to source a corrado vr6 subframe.

swift: I guess you meant corrado vr6 vs corrado/mk2 4 cylinder on the subframe :)

up front you either want a corrado vr6 type front engine carrier which can also be found on some B4 passat and larger engine MK2 SEAT Toledo, or you buy a MK2 VR6 solid front mount which Tristan on here used to make IIRC?

Gearbox wise use a VR6 or V5 one for an easy life and it all bolts in as per MK2 corrado conversion, buy a conversion manifold and wiring loom and you're pretty much done.

for the rest of the running gear it depends what engine and gearbox you have in the mk2 right now :)

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The swap is frequently done in the MK2 chassis.

Is this something you guys are about to tackle yourselves?
    Or do you require a company to take it one for you?

Where are you guys based?