1.3 MK2 Golf 5 speed Transmission conversion

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by George23, Feb 4, 2020.

1. George23 New Member

So my current gearbox for my golf is a standard type 084 4 speed and its on its last legs. I am wanting to convert it to a 5 speed and have read that it is pretty easily done with a 1.4 mk3 golf trans. However does the swap need to be to a type 085 5 speed or can I put in a type 02k 5 speed CZA code.

If anyone could help me out a bit that would be great, still kinda new to this.

And if anyone knows of any 085 gearboxs for sale that would be great too!

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

02K is 020 based, so if you did find one that fits on you would need to swap all of the gear linkages including stick front to back for mk2 1.6-1.8. driveshafts I assume you would need mk2 1.6 90mm ones, and make sure its from a car with cable clutch otherwise you have to mess with hydro setup as well.

in short, stick to 085 type boxes way easier and not exactly difficult to find. mk2/3 golf 1.0-1.4 plus mk2 & mk2f (g40 shape) polo boxes best bet, but loads of 1.0-1.4 polo & seat up to 2002 have the 085. check the gearbox code before you buy, we can look it up to make sure the ratios will work for you.

you need the upper steady bracket from mk2/3 1.0-1.4 5 speed, the main bracket swaps over. try to get both parts of the shift linkage from the 5 speed donor as its slightly better design, but the 4 speed parts will fit the 085 box and work fine

3. George23 New Member

I have found a Seat arosa gearbox from a 1.4L 1999-2004 5 speed with a gearbox code of FPQ/FGF. From what I have found this is a type 085 gearbox. Would this fit to my 1.3 with the mounts and then linkage of the 5 speed?

4. rubjonny

5. George23 New Member

Thanks. I'll get the the FGF from the 1.0L Arosa gearbox i have my eye then as ratios are good with what im looking for. Now its a case of a shift linkage like this one?

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/191798000-gear-linkage-rebuild-kit.html

Plus a few bushings needed with this kit?

6. rubjonny

no thats for the 020 type box, for the 084/5 you have a bit bolted to box, and a bit bolted to the shift rod. the 4 speed parts will work just fine, but if you can get 5 speed versions those are slightly better plus easier to get a new bush for them

heres half of it with bush:
    https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/191711233-gear-shift-finger-for-5-speed-gearbox.html

you need the other part to match if converting to 5 speed stuff. but as I say if your old parts are fine you can swap them over

George23 likes this.
  7. George23 New Member

Fantastic this is the one im looking at

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  8. rubjonny

yeah so you unbolt all that linkage gubbins off the box and bin as non of it is any use to you, then fit mk1/2/3 type stuff on :)

9. George23 New Member

Legend, thanks for all the help!

10. George23 New Member

Will i need a clutch and fly wheel from the arosa gearbox or from my orignal 1.3 gearbox?

11. rubjonny

usually you can keep all the old parts, though a new clutch kit is advised. sometimes the older flywheels can hit the later box bellhousings but that may only apply to mk1 stuff?

12. George23 New Member

So I would be alright to keep my current 1.3 fly wheel and then get the arosa clutch kit?

13. rubjonny

pretty sure the old flywheel will be ok, buy a new clutch kit for the mk2 golf rather than arosa if you keep the old flywheel as the arosa one may not suit the mk2 flywheel. sachs clutch kit part numbers, if you have early mk2 it may possibly not go but pretty sure you'll be ok:
    https://www.vwspares.co.uk/VW_Golf_Mk2_Clutch.php?model=1.3

could trial fit box to engine and see if you can turn it over with socket on the crank bolt, though bit of a pain in the ass :lol:

14. Izzy New Member

Hey guys

I was wondering If I've a 1.8 mk1 engine, can i still fit my 1.1 mk1 gearbox without any problems?if no which other options can i explore

Im building my first mk1 golf, i need all the help i can get
    Thanks

15. rubjonny

no you'll need a 1.5-1.8 020 type gearbox to go with it, plus all 3 engine & gearbox mount brackets, driveshafts, gear linkage front to back including gearstick, possibly the steering rack as small block dont tend to have linkage brackets welded on, exhaust front to back, plus you have to drill off the spot welds on driver side engine mounting on chassis leg, flip it the other way up, move it up the chassis leg and weld in a bit of extra steel.

with the gear linkage setup and gearbox bracket big block 4 and 5 speed parts differ in the engine bay so make sure you get the right parts to match the box

16. Izzy New Member

Alright let me get to it

Thanks again

17. George23 New Member

Will i need a new H pattern/where is the best place to get them from as I've been searching, but have a feeling im calling it the wrong thing entirely

18. rubjonny

you mean assembly inside the car so you're able to get 5th? if so, no need in a mk2 its the same for 4 and 5 1.3 speed mk2 theres no kind of lockout plate modification required like in a mk1 golf.

but dont forget the most important part, a gearknob with a 5 on it :p