MK3 Golf VR6 Master Cylinder

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Matt G, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Matt G Forum Member

Afternoon all

I've got a 1993 VR6 and suspect the master cylinder is done.

Slave cylinder was done in the past couple of years with what looks like a new part.

However just recently the clutch pedal doesn't return all the way up once pressed in, sometimes stays on the floor which isn't ideal. The brakes don't feel like they have full power anymore either. Pads and discs have life left in them still.

Am I right in thinking the master cylinder serves both systems? If so it makes sense to me that that's the issue.

Assuming so, are there different versions (bore size) aside from ABS and non ABS? Mine is an ABS car I believe (previous owner had adjusted rear camber using washers and that's not for me so took them out - found ABS rings in the process)

online, I've found the part number 358-611-019D - is this the right one?

Thanks in advance guys

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Completely different cylinders mate. Only thing in common is the fluid reservoir.
    The clutch master cylinder is probably inside , over the pedal, the brake master cylinder will be outside, in front of the brake servo, underneath the brake fluid reservoir. Usually the reservoir has a small pipe about 1/2 way up supplying fluid to the clutch cylinder.
    ABS masters are often bigger, but the clutch cylinder should be the same.

Matt G likes this.
  3. Matt G Forum Member

awesome, thank you. after reading this I went away and did a little more research. I'm now thinking that bleeding from the slave end would be a good idea before looking at throwing parts at it. It could be that when the slave was fitted, they didn't bleed it properly as this has been happening since I got the car in August. Its just got worse recently.

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Always try the simple things first!