MK2: MK4 288 Front brakes?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Peter, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Peter Forum Member

Hi

1990 MK2

I'm currently collecting parts for a VR swap, as part of this I wish to widetrack the car and have decided upon MK3 / Corrado VR hubs, drive shafts and CV's

I'll be using a 6.5Jx15" VR Steel, 5x100 ET43

I'm currently refurbing my 312mm brakes on my MK4 4 motion, as a result I'll have a surplus set of callipers, I was thinking if I source a set of 288mm carriers of a 150bhp MK4 GTI Turbo I could combine them with my MK4 callipers, I don't have any 288 discs currently so could get MK4 or MK3

I had a read through the Widetrack FAQ but couldn't find anything definitive would these parts bolt up without any modification?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the mk4 288mm calipers and carriers are same part number as mk3 golf ones so will fit mk3 bearing carriers, use mk3 288mm discs and off you go :)

Peter likes this.
  3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I have a set of 288 discs and possibly carriers in good condition that are excess to requirements.

Get in touch if you want them.

4. Peter Forum Member

Many thanks, thats good news, am I right in thinking I'll need a 9" servo and 22mm master cylinder (car is a 1.3 currently) or are there any upgrades here? I've never gone bigger than 280mm on a MK2 before so I'm a bit out of touch.

Thanks Toyotec I'll send you a direct message

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  5. rubjonny

yeah you'll have the 7" servo on a 1.3 so grab a 1.8 servo from an 8v carb/gti or 16v. would want a 22mm master at least, but might need to go up a size for the 288mm not 100% sure?

Peter likes this.
  6. Peter Forum Member

Thanks again, I had a read around and I'm led to believe that the piston in the ATE calliper (288 / 312) is 54mm and the Girling 54 calliper has the same size piston, I'm guessing that as the Girling came with a 22mm MC from factory the ATE calliper should work fine, that said some owners do mention they have a long pedal with these ATE callipers on the MK2, Does make me wonder if the 22mm MC was suitable why did VW up it to a larger size for 288's
    There does seem to be some larger MC's out there 23mm on the later MK3's but these have larger unions, RS2 and Audi 200 Turbo ones came up as well but I couldn't work out f these were a direct fit.

7. rubjonny

yeah there are direct fit 23 and 25mm masters available, just not sure if you need to bother or no. hopefully someone who has done this job will chime in

8. Toyotec

23mm is a direct fit to the servo, not the lines. Adapters needed. See my build thread for JENVEE.

Peter likes this.
  9. Toyotec

23mm on cars with ABS.

Epytec sell the adaptors, see my JENVEE build thread for more details.

Got your message. Will have check when home.

Peter likes this.
  10. rubjonny

Eddie you can get 23mm master which is direct fit for servo and lines, its off some kind of audi or maybe polo or ibiza I think (not the stubby 20v one) just cant remember where I found it off the top of my head. me and nige hunted it out for his brake setup a few years back

Peter likes this.
  11. Toyotec

As you aware I can only give tips on what I have done on the basis what was readily available.
    You probably can fit others from other models, but those were not the path I chose at the time.

MK3 Golf and Polo Classic ABS Master cylinder fitment, you need Epytec fittings as per my build thread.

12. Peter Forum Member

many thanks, very useful information, I found the fittings on the Epytec site, they have some great items I would imagine its a great resource when mixing and matching components from different vehicles, I've bookmarked it,
    I searched and found the the JENVEE BUILD thread (very interesting read) can I ask was it difficult to fit the pipes into the MC with the extra height as a result of the adaptors? (wondering about clearance to the offside front turret and the pipes having to move upwards ever so slightly)

I'll keep searching for the 23mm direct fit MC as that would be the preferred option but I'd more than happy to go the adaptors failing that (i'll report back with any findings)

I'd like to stick with 15" wheels but if not I guess it would be fairly straightforward to jump up to 312mm with this setup, cost effective too,

13. Toyotec

I have that 23mm set up on my WOLF R also. There is enough space yes with the adaptors, although I do remember trimming the entry of them a tad.
    You cannot use 15" wheels with 312 mm calipers. They are a bit more bulky. You have to step to at least 16".
    288 mm disc and brake components yes, as per the later MK3 Golf yes.

To be fair as I have been down your road before, having done a fair amount of trackdays, the most you need on a MK2 Golf are good pads at least on a closed circuit.
    Racers actually are able to manage 239 mm brakes, but the very good pad compound.

So we road going lot, really should have no need to make complications for ourselves by retrofitting braking systems from the heavier PQ34 cars to our 1000 kg MK2.
    You will only lock up faster! Just a thought to ponder on.

Peter likes this.
  14. Peter Forum Member

I presumed that the ATE Calliper (288 & 312) would fit with a 288mm disc if I've understood correctly I cant use a 15" wheel even with a 288 disc as the calliper itself too bulky? From what i've read it is possible to fit a 15" wheel over 288's on a MK4 wondering if this is due to a difference in offset (?)

yes thats a good point my last MK2 GTI never felt underbraked with the G60 280mm set up, my motivation here is I have the callipers surplus and it seemed like a good solution as i want to go 5 stud

15. Toyotec

Unless you plan the use the widetrack to help grip on track day as you push on, then not worth the hassle. That is my personal suggestion.

16. Peter Forum Member

thats a fair point, I've never been one for trackday's to be honest my main reason for the 5 stud widetrack is aesthetics, I like the look of the wheels more being more outboard, the wheel I have in mind for the car is only available in 5 stud, and also as strange as it sounds I like the fact that its a subtle hint to those in the know that there is some modifications under the skin,

17. Toyotec

If it is stance you are after, then concentric spacers and done!

You will need to do the back also. Maybe some arch rolling.

18. Peter Forum Member

thanks I'll keep that in mind

19. Peter Forum Member

Just to update the thread for any future searches.

I stumbled on a for sale ad for some Corrado Speedlines on the MK2 FB group and noticed he was using the late MK3 / MK4 ATE calliper I contacted the seller who was really friendly and helpful. He told me that its a 288mm disc with the aforementioned calliper bolts right up with no spacer required.

(I checked beforehand it was ok to post his pic below)
    [​IMG]

The_bug and Toyotec like this.