ABF gearbox convertion

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by KristianBG, Jun 13, 2020.

1. KristianBG New Member

Hello, what parts I need to convert the abf gearbox to cable shifter like the Seat abf gearboxes, and can i keep the mk2 driver pedal box or i should use the mk3's pedal box.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

3. KristianBG New Member

Yes , but I got extremely lucky to be honest , just found out that my mk2 1989 1.6 carb driver is packing ACD(similar to the 9A,2y) gearboxes and I am shocked ,because we have the golf since 1995 and no one changed the box . I was expecting 4T gearbox .How is it possible 1.6 to have 8v GTI Close ratio gearbox [:D]:o[eek]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  4. rubjonny

must have eaten its gearbox very early in life or someone changed it, probably the 2nd one as the 4T box is brilliant for economy but pretty dull :lol:

personally I would keep the 020 for now, stash the 02a for a future date. ACD is a great box for an ABF swap and it saves a whole load of hassle

5. KristianBG New Member

Ye probably gonna keep it , I like the ratios . Its strange because my master cylinder died , disassembled it and found out it was 22.20mm long , went to buy new one and the shop assistant said it was from GTI .

6. rubjonny

22mm is for 16v with 256mm brakes, so yeah someone has been giving it some upgrades

KristianBG likes this.
  7. KristianBG New Member

[​IMG]
    I was wondering if the other numbers matter something or only to look after the gearbox code/name
    [​IMG]

8. rubjonny

the numbers tell you when the gearbox was made, details here if you're interested:
    http://brokevw.com/020oil.html

your boot sticker will tell you what gearbox it left the factory with if its still there, should be a copy of the sticker on inside cover of the service book if you have that

KristianBG likes this.
  9. KristianBG New Member

Yep, you are actually right, someone swapped the gearbox, it was actually 4R (4speed?) gearbox. [:D][eek]