88 GTI 8v first start after 10 years any advice welcome

Discussion in '8-valve' started by GTIBOB, Jul 14, 2020.

1. GTIBOB

GTIBOB Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,
    Finally beginning process of reviving my 88 GTI campaign 8v.
    Put car into dry storage fully running and undamaged in 2001. Always started engine once or twice a year just to check. Some time in 2010 car would not start. Noticed that the familiar buzz of the fuel pump priming was silent so presumed a FP issue.
    Put issue on long finger for years just not having time to tackle.
    Last week removed both pumps and neither work with a 12v supply. There is about 1/3 tank of petrol which dates back to layup in 2001. However bottom of tank is clean and fuel looks clear ie no gunk.
    I intend to drain and replace fuel with 97oct. Have ordered replacement pumps and filter.
    Hoping that after a bit of coughing she will fire up???
    Timing belt was changed about a year before layup in 2000.
    I’ve turned over the engine a few times and all sounds ok.
    Coolant res was empty an presumed completely evaporated but res tank only took about a litre to top up.
    All rubbers look ok with no dosing or obvious cracking however wonder how they will deal with pressure once started.

Just wondered if there are any risks or precautions I should take before attempting to start.
    I intend to change timing belt due to age but hoping a 20yo belt will withstand a few minutes gentle running and tick over???

I’m sure there are many out there at this early stage of resto.
    Any advice greatly appreciated
    Bob

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Spin it with the plugs out for a minute to get oil pressure, after that go for it, as long as the belts look OK

It'll probably rattle the tappets for a while until it warms up.

3. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

This^

Have the extinguisher at the ready, just in case. Better to be safe than sorry

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Deffo change that cam belt.

5. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah id not be trusting a 20 year old belt for the sake of £8

6. H8V

h8v Forum Member

Isn't the 8 valve a non-interference engine?

7. GTIBOB

Hi cheers for the reply. Hopefully new fuel pumps fitted tomorrow. Going to half fill tank with 97ron fuel. Going to go for a start up. Hoping the tbelt which was fitted in 2000 holds up. I def will change but can’t resist a start. will update.
    Rob

8. GTIBOB

Got me worried now!
    Haven’t messed with anything under bonnet just replacing fuel pumps.
    Should it not fire up safely??
    Rob

9. Savagesam

It should, and most likely will but who knows what might have feasted on your wiring in the past 15 years! Better to be safe than sorry, I always have mine to hand on first start up.

10. GTIBOB

I’d like to change belt myself but seems very tricky. Tempted to trailer to mechanic. Happy to tackle most jobs but tbelt change seems fairly critical.
    Rob

11. GTIBOB

Fair point.
    I’ll be cautious and have hose ready........suppose I should have proper extinguisher.
    If I can get engine running I can move car in and out of garage to tackle other jobs like brakes. Brakes were fine when layed up in 2001 should I automatically replace all callipers and discs and flexi hoses or do callipers not really seize up if unused for years.
    Rob

12. Savagesam

Timing belt is easy if you take your take and are methodical with it.

I’d expect it’ll all need replacing, callipers will probably be okay. Flexi lines probably knackered, get under it and have a good look about. I’d say most bushes would want replacing too! Hard to say without seeing it all though :)

13. pigbladder Forum Addict

belt isnt nothing to be scared off , if you have a few decent tools and can trust yourself to match up the marks

only bit to fear is rounding the 6mm hex keys , but hammer in a quality bit should help alot

14. GTIBOB

Just home from a full day of running here and there for fuel pumps and filter. Finally GSF came good. £117 for both pumps and a fuel filter.
    After an evening of crawling around under car it was time for the long awaited start up.
    Added 20l of 97ron ( it actually recommends 98 on filler cap.?
    After a few primes she fired up. Like meeting an old friend again.
    Ran only for about 5 mins as tbelt is 20 years old so only a few gentle revs but ticking over nicely but a bit tappety.
    Worried that water pump might not be circulating coolant through hoses. Top rad hose got hot but others seemed cold.
    Also fuel gauge not registering the 20l I added. Needle sitting left of red zone although car is still jacked up on right side to do pumps. Maybe when lowered to ground fuel gauge may work.
    Big milestone today with the clean startup.
    Can now move in an out of garage at least to get at all 4 corners
    Hope all other restos going well

Attached Files:

15. Savagesam

Nice! Good to hear it all went well.

The thermostat probably wouldn’t have opened after 5 minutes so nothing to worry about yet.

Next job, timing belt!

16. GTIBOB

Cheers
    Got a Haynes manual to study how to do tbelt.
    If there is coolant in res tank is it pretty certain that system is full?
    Before I started work on the car I noticed res tank was empty and presumed coolant had evaporated over the years. But was only able to top up perhaps 1/2 litre.
    From memory when I squeezed the top rad hose you could hear water sloshing and res level would move.
    Could the system be dry despite res tank full.

you mentioned the thermostat perhaps not opening in 5 mins of running but I’m bit worried about running without coolant.
    R

17. pigbladder Forum Addict

coolant is prob okay....it soon drops down when running if not full

just keep an eye on it if they gauge gets over towards , feel both top /bottom hose and hope the fan comes on , if its into the red and no fan switch off and investigate

can confirm the fan motor and wiring is good by bridging the fan switch

Simon Peter Dodgson likes this.
  18. GTIBOB

Managed to get car out of garage into open for first time in 19 yrs. a good wash and dry and a chance to inspect more closely. A few more little rust spots but still relieved it isn’t much worse. For now I’m concentrating on engine and cooling system before a major brakes overhaul. But hey she’s moving under her own power. Still chuffed that I only had to replace the two fuel pumps and filter and she started. Ticking over more quietly now.
    I’m gambling on the 20 yo timing belt not snapping whilst I move car in and out of garage to do bits and pieces. Not sure I could tackle a TB change without a proper lift. I’ll trailer to mechanic I think.
    So now my focus is on the cooling.
    Pretty sure that coolant is not circulating through all hoses. Expansion tank is full but only top rad hose gets hot but when squeezed no sound of coolant inside and no level movement in exp tank.
    Idled for 15 mins to watch temp needle and wait for fan to cut in. It didn’t??
    Tested fan with 12v and it works.
    Afraid to run any longer. Some steam coming from rad. Also a little coolant escaping from area circled in photo don’t know what this component is??

Any advice welcome.

there is rust and corrosion along the edge of rad so I expect a new rad would be wise.

is there a fuse for the fuel gauge sender? Not registering at all. Was very careful with it when fitting the in tank pump. New senders are expensive I think???

this is a long road it seems but “I’ve started so I’ll finish”

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  19. Savagesam

The picture is your thermostat housing. The oring is probably knackered.

20. pigbladder Forum Addict

no need whatsoever for a lift to fit a timing belt

Savagesam likes this.