Golf Mk2 20vt

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by jshep73, May 22, 2019.

1. jshep73 Forum Member

More unidentified connecters around the fusebox if anyone has can assist...

Q1.jpg
    Only 2 terminals, but 4 wires

Q2.jpg
    A pos and reg that goes into the door pillar

Q3.jpg

And this single wire with odd connector.

Updates to follow on the car.... Including; exhaust, clutch, grill, and hopefully an MOT!

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

2 pin is headlight range control motors, ignore
    1 pin red is live for interior light and goes to the matching plug on rear wiring loom
    1 pin brown is earth for interior light and goes to claw
    1 pin red/brown is key-in-ignition live for the radio from pin SU on ignition switch to a wire on the dash harness

Vinnie and erreesse like this.
  3. jshep73 Forum Member

Thanks Jonny.

I saw a posted on Facebook a few weeks ago, can't even remember what some fella was asking, and you gave a great detailed answer to something and the next comment was someone questioning whether you were right. Don't know why but it made me laugh.

4. rubjonny

well I'm not always right so its perfectly reasonable for people to ask and check :lol:

5. jshep73 Forum Member

Well, the conversion is officially finished!

MOT last Thursday. My regular place was booked up for 2 weeks so tried a new tester... Was fairly confident of a pass, however on the way the nearside indicator did the doubleclicking thing - Probably the front bulb as I put clear indicators on for the MOT. Little bit annoying.

Anyway got a phone call to say if it was only the bulb he would have passed it, but the offside front wheel bearing is very bad! Strange as I didnt feel it and it's not been an advisory before. So I went to the garage for a chat, the MOT tester has a Mk2 and all the lads have Beetles, Transporters etc. He said if it is really bad the hub could be damaged and need replacing... or the driveshaft nut could be loose. I took the cap off the wheel and NO DRIVESHAFT NUT!! Idiot.

Anyway I found the nut in my garage and picked the car up Friday morning. Spoke to a different bloke this time. He said I must have paid alot for the professional engine conversion! I said I did it in my garage! He seemed impressed that I could manage that and not check the car has driveshaft nuts on.

So quick re-test and job done! Very chuffed that there were no issues with any engine / conversions parts that I had touched.

MOT.jpg

So put a few miles on it over the weekend. Engine pulls well, gears feel solid. No leaks, no overheating. Very happy. The only issue I can think of is the slightly notchy steering. I don't think the steering wheel is physically sticking on something, it's notchy for another reason. I am running the Mk4 power steering pump but I have red fluid as per mk2 spec. What's the best solution here as the pump is mk4 but the rack is mk2???

Couple of photos of me letting my girlfriend take over...

y1.jpg

y2.jpg

Booked into Badger 5 for some mapping next month because currently car is a poultry 150bhp standard.

Future plans include brake and suspension upgrade, maybe over the winter

6. jshep73 Forum Member

So I've put a couple of hundred miles on the old gal in the last couple of weeks, car is getting more attention than ever from random people!

A few photos what I took...

i1.jpg

i3.jpg

i4.jpg

i5.jpg

i6.jpg

Saturday I went to pick up a pal to go the pub, turned into an industrial estate to cut through it and BANG. Looked in the rear view mirror and I was loosing all my oil. Smashed the sump already!!! About 200 miles it took me

i7.jpg

So that was a joy. Towed it back to my mates driveway and went to the pub. Whilst there I decided a shallow sump would be the best option to avoid the same thing in the future. However the ECS Tuning one that Awesome GTI sell is on a long back order. I am booked into Badger 5 next week to I have just ordered a standard sump and oil from GSF. Hopefully it will be up and running in a couple of days although I haven't jacked the car up yet. Maybe I should raise the suspension and admit to my Dad, my mate, my girlfriend, work colleagues etc that the car is too low. Hmmmm.

What are my other options? Some sort of engine mount raisers?

Oh well, onwards and upwards!!!

cupracraig, erreesse and Mk2daz like this.
  7. Mk2daz

Mk2daz Paid Member Paid Member

8. jshep73 Forum Member

Thanks I like the look of that.

Is it not just a more expensive sump to get fooked when I next hit something? Or is the idea that it is too strong to break???

9. rubjonny

thats the idea yeah, or you could build yourself a skid plate, the heavy duty golf got them. basically a cage o steel mounted underneath to protect sump

jshep73 and erreesse like this.
  10. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Id raise the car, it’s too low for me.
    Looking good though!

jshep73 likes this.
  11. jshep73 Forum Member

For anyone interested I kept track of my spend for the conversion...

Donor car £750
    Gearbox £0
    Engine brackets £135
    Engine mounts £40
    Pedalbox £140
    Clutch master/slave cylinders £85
    Turbo £0
    Charge pipe £115
    Downpipe £200
    Turbo Inlet Pipe £125
    Exhaust manifold £0
    Exhaust £550
    Wiring loom £275
    Gear shifter and cables £0
    Gearbox tower £0
    Short brake master cylinder and reservoir £87
    Starter motor £0
    VR6 Clutch £90
    G60 Flywheel + lightning £100
    De-immobilsing ECU £0
    Air filter £0
    Radiator / fans £0
    Intercooler £60
    Pipework £120
    Injectors £0
    Cambelt / Waterpump £85
    Service items £100
    Remap £450
    Mk3 fuel tank / straps / brackets / lines £40
    Mk3 fuel pump £65
    Coil packs £120
    Various £200

TOTAL - £3932

Except for the remap and exhaust there are no big expences... I really don't see how you could do it for much less.

I have made £1600 back from the donor car and the original 16v engine and various parts, which is pretty decent.

Winter plans are BRAKES!

Cheers all

cupracraig likes this.
  12. Savagesam

I in total did my last one for just under £800.
    It’s doable, it’s one of them, not what you know, who situations.

what plans do you have for brakes?

13. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Totalled my parts collection so far few weeks back, was about £1100 -1200, since spent about another 100.
    It's almost ready to go in now, couple bits to get, nowt major though. Intercooler hoses and fuel line really.
    That's with 6 speed and conversion from auto to manual, trackslag downpipe and S3 210 engine.

14. jshep73 Forum Member

Under £800? I genuinely don't understand how that is possible. I guess you don't do cambelt kit and service. No new clutch, standard TIP, standard exhaust, wiring yourself, mapping?!?! Or like you say - know the right people!

Not sure on brake upgrade but it will be calipers/discs/pads/lines/fluid - done properly!

cupracraig likes this.
  15. Savagesam

Got the engine for free from an already upgraded free donor car, had the mounts on the donor car, as the golf was widetracked from my old car, had a silicone tip on it, bought pipe made a 3” downpipe (£40), got a almost new track slag off FB (£250), car was mapped to 230bhp with all the usual deletes. Clutch was brand new with receipt less than 300 miles on it, lightened flywheel (£85) wiring (£250), IC and odds and sods were just under £200.

My AWD build is currently at £1500 but I’m yet to start spending money :(

16. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Well done with the conversion, your car looks great!!

jshep73 likes this.
  17. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

looks like you have had a productive lock down!

Brakes wise, i have Audi S2 on mine and they are really good. G60's are a popular option and won't mess up your wheel choice through fowling.

18. G-adams

G-adams CGTI Regional Host - Bristol

lovey mk2 to got here. i keep finding myself re reading you build thread it was one of the reason i ended up buying another one

jshep73 likes this.
  19. jshep73 Forum Member

Haven't posted any updates for a while.

Couple of months ago the car went to Badger 5...

bad1.jpg

bad2.jpg

bay1.jpg
    Since the engine conversion the engine had been idling at 1200rpm, I assumed it was a vacuum leak that I couldn't find. Bill said he thinks it is the throttle pedal but there was no code showing. This meant I had no boost at all! So Bill flashed a map from a similar spec 1.8T.

I got the car home and ordered a used throttle pedal, installed it a couple of days later. I revved the car and the boost gauge flew up - time for a drive.

In short - the car is absolute monster!!! It is so much fun to drive. It pulls HARD all the way to the redline and the exhaust sounds perfect. However it spins wheels in every gear in the wet, I have to drive very timidly! Maybe my Toyo Proxes are an issue. I will be changing them soon.

Even in the dry the wheels spin in 3rd gear if you are driving hard. I spoke to Bill and told me to put some proper tyres on! And now the car is actually boosting he can map the car so the power is more progressive.

Anyway the car is in my garage until March-ish time.

In the meantime I just got my first Transporter! Busy turning it into campervan...

T5EJY1.jpg

That's all for now, lots to be done in the next couple of months

Cheers

dodgy and cupracraig like this.
  20. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

nice work! love it when you can identify then simply resolve the issue.
    Transporter looks great too, nice wheels