back in a mk2 again

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by G-adams, Dec 1, 2020.

1. G-adams

G-adams CGTI Regional Host - Bristol

so after selling my old mk2 ive finally have another one back in my life after missing my old one. this time in form of a 3 door gti. ive been toying with the idea after letting my old one go so i started to look just to see what was about. i was mainly looking for a black one or a red one as there's something about them i really like. i went and had a look at a few which turn out to not be describe not how they were. then one popped up local to me 3 door gti but was in white with a problem with the engine so thought its worth a look being that it was far from me. after taking a look at it i ended up really liking the colour in person and this one was in great shape with the only bit of rust i could see was a little bit on the shuttle. so a deal was made and i got it my lockup. IMG_E3344.JPG
    it also came with this. dont think theres many of these left about now
    IMG_3365.JPG
    it already had a few tasty upgrade done to it which are
    vibratechnics subframe mount
    darkside custon vnt rear mount
    corrado gearboc mount
    an 02a asd long ratio gearbox which im pretty sure its got a diff fitted to it
    vr6 clutch and g60 flywheel, g60 master and slave
    hydro clutch conversion
    g60 front brakes
    fully polybushed front end
    corrado pas rack
    lowered on some coilover unsure on the brand

on with the problem with the engine i did a little bit of investigating but i had a little voice in my ear saying there a 1.8t just sitting in the corner put that in :lol:. it was something i wanted to do to the other mk2 but never got around to doing so and with the upgrade this one has already have made sense to do.
    so within a couple of days of owning it the swap started
    IMG_3355.JPG
    IMG_3359.JPG
    IMG_3393.JPG

while the 1.8t was out i did the water pump,tensioner and cam belt. the water pump had seen better days so glad that was changed
    IMG_3465.JPG
    managed to get the 1.8t in with no issues as such yet which has been pretty nice for a change
    QZVE1383.JPG
    i started to test fit all the boost hoses and water pipes as i still need to get the loom sorted and it kept me busy with knowing what i still need to get.
    IMG_E3682.JPG
    i still need to slightly adjust the intercooler as it doesn't sit straight with the bumper on but happy with how its coming along so far. i am planning on changing the rad as it has seen better days but this is going to be a long term running project when it up and going.
    MJOJ2544.JPG
    while ive been waiting to buy some more goodies for the mk2 which has been on hold a little with Christmas present taking priority i thought i sort out the heater side of things as that was one thing really bugged me on my old mk2 not have a decent working heater. so out with the dash and heater box.
    XVIC9072.JPG

QFRU7774.JPG
    while i had the dash out i found the loom for electric windows which i was planning on getting them latter down the line. i endded up taking the heater box home with me as it need one the flaps repairing and the foam replacing on both.
    GBWT9608.JPG
    IMG_3715.JPG
    KZUS4114.JPG
    just need to buy a new heater matrix before i can fit the heater box back into place.

1990, Iain Martin and dodgy like this.
  2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Nice white mk2, good luck with the conversion, also got 1.8t in corner awaiting fitment, to my white 5 door driver.
    Quite taken with the big bumpers with the white, might have to see my mate who has a set in his garage.
    That water pump looks seriously past it.

3. G-adams

Cheers buddy. So far it’s coming along pretty well I’m pretty sure I’ve figured out where all the vacuum hoses goes etc. You don’t really see any white ones about nowadays and the white and black just goes so well together. I was surprised with the water pump as it still span freely but rather know it’s a new one in there for peace of mind

4. Iain Martin New Member

Very interesting post and pictures, well done !!

5. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Hello Guy :thumbup:

Nice to see you in a Mk2 and it looks a great one!! How have you been these last 5years?

6. G-adams

hey Ian i cant wait to be able to be back driving in a mk2 again as something about them. ive not been to bad how have you been keeping?

7. jshep73 Forum Member

Nice motor.

Don't forget to do your pedalbox modifications while the dash is out!

8. G-adams

Cheers Luckily for me that was already done

9. G-adams

got around to buying a 3inc downpipes as I've decided to replace the whole exhaust system so made sense to for this one for if I ever decide to go down the hybrid turbo route I wouldn't need to change it again
    IMG_4096.JPG
    also got a proram filter fitted after lots of adjusting of the tip and boost pipes due to keeping the washer bottle and expansion in there original place
    IMG_4111.JPG

[​IMG]
    not that you can really see much of it once fitted. still waiting for a few small bits to arrive like a throttle cable, a longer heater hose and some more t bolt hose clips for now. I'm finding at the moment every time a tick one thing off the list I end up adding more to it but I guess that's part of the fun with project. ill try and keep updates coming as I do them

afbiker02 likes this.