The Golfs

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Quiksilver, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Paid Member Paid Member

I've been a member of the forum for ages, and I've searched and tried to find some old build threads, but they've succumbed to Photobucket's hosting changes, I also had a couple of build threads on Edition 38 which also went by the wayside, so I'll start all over again.

Rather than having a thread for each car, I'll lump them all together in here, keep it interesting for you guys.

I've got the VW bug back now, and in the current lockdown climate been ticking off loads of little and not so little jobs.

Right so first off

1990 MK2 Driver - Owned 19 years, it's done 239,000 miles - I bought it on 118k

Royal Blue - Corrado Seats - Loads of little OEM+ touches.
    [​IMG]
    1993 MK3 Golf 1.8 CL - Owned 10 years, 120K on the clock - Its the daily - Follows the MK2 in style really,
    [​IMG]
    1999 T MK3 Golf 1.8 CL Estate - Owned 5 years, rescued from going to the scrapyard, was supposed to be a parts donor for other golf projects, they actually became a donor to this. Its beat up, rusty in places, mechanical sound, drives great and serves as the workhorse/camping mule / Mountain bike-mover. oh and done 202,000 miles and still gets 500+miles to a tank on a run.
    [​IMG]

It's a strange none GTI / Performace mixture I know! In the last 19 years, there's been GTI's fast Audi TDI's and other things, but these 3 have stuck around.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  2. Malibu_convertible New Member

Mk2 what engine?

3. Quiksilver

1.6 EZ engine.

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Was it you that had my Ronal turbos years ago?

5. Quiksilver

Yes mate.

GVK likes this.
  6. Quiksilver

I've sorted the pictures out in the opening post, I'll sort more images of progress I've made over the next few nights.

7. Quiksilver

Right then, lets get to it and update whats been happening on these lot since I’ve been quiet on here for a long time...

First off, most up to date picture washed, treated the trim on the MK2 and gave it a quick going over with Meguiars ceramic wax just some quick and easy protection, then it rained last night. I need to get my freshly painted front panel on when the weather clears up, its current a pattern part matte black jobbie at the moment.

[​IMG]

suggs_84 and Toyotec like this.
  8. Quiksilver

I had an old Audi A4 (B6) its was fast well for a TDI at about 180bhp with an AMD Map on it, it was doomed from the start as the previous owner hadn't looked after it and supplied it with one key. After a late night eBaying mission I ordered the wrong key so I made this, when lockdown really hit in 2020.

[​IMG]

Which works in both my stereos

[​IMG]

G60. and Savagesam like this.
  9. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I like that! I never use USB’s but it’s cool, I’ve got a spare key for mine I might make one

Quiksilver likes this.
  10. Quiksilver

Taken the MK2 to the ring a few times now, done about 50 laps in the old thing, it clicked 220K going around the karussell. It does alright for a 1.6 Driver with a Weber 32/34 bolted to it, which was set up by Rick Wood Motorsport about 10 years ago.

I can only blame my obsession with the ring on this forum.. My first trip was in 2004.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  11. Quiksilver

I even got the "torch" to work still
    [​IMG]

12. Quiksilver

Took the MK3 to the ring as well, short stay after going to the F1 at Spa

[​IMG]

Savagesam likes this.
  13. Quiksilver

Next job last summer was sorting MK2 dash lights, mixture of new switches, digifiz Minis, Moman panel and new bulbs. Its all pretty much in the same green colour palette now. Not sure if to change the VDO's to green bulbs.
    [​IMG]
    I'm searching for a non flashy, whizz bang stereo with green illumination, I've 75% talked myself in to a new Blaupunkt Bremen, I previously had a Kenwood MD headhunt with iPod connection it died after 15 years of service.. it suited the dashboard so well, but the JVC currently fitted is a short body which fits perfectly in the upper Votex slot.

Dashboard needs a dust, [:$] and the heater panel is swapped for now and not "taped" in place.
    [​IMG]
    2020 saw the MK3, looking like this a lot too.
    [​IMG]
    The Estate, suffered oil pump failure then needed lower arm bushes replacing, one of those while I'm in here and its in air jobs turned in to a complete subframe swap.
    [​IMG]

14. Quiksilver

Fighting a couple of issues on the MK3, a jammed blend flap with foam stopping flow to the screen and a water leak.

@rubjonny are these part numbers still relevant for OEM door foil/membrane/vapour barrier/weather shield

3a0 867 201 H - plastic
    AKL 434 019 25 - tape

Is tape a better option to Tiger Seal / SikaFlex?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  15. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the plastic sheet is still the same, tape is now D 434 020 M2, for the MK2 they recommend D 469101A3 adhesive stuff which is applied with a caulk gun so a little messey. I just use good waterproof duct tape

16. Savagesam

Did you make these two on the left?
    4610CCB3-D17D-4CCF-B441-11C44C45378D.jpeg

17. Quiksilver

18. Quiksilver

Thanks buddy. It’s for the MK3 it has the blow moulded foam panels retrofitted, but it’s not sealing great, I’ll see what TPS near me says and tiger seal them if I get stuck.

19. Savagesam

They’re not cheap!

20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

mk3 also uses the adhesive stuff, plus it mentions the tape you listed as well but no clear idea which is used where :lol: