Dodgy driver

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by dodgy, Mar 7, 2021.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Finally got a chance to get some work done on the white golf, weather, work and other things such as the house have made it slow lately.
    Tackled the front suspension today, ran out of luck with the weather to get to the rear end.
    New ball joints, Bilstein shocks and lowering springs, top mounts and a gti anti roll bar fitted, along with a set of mk3 tdi front hubs, G60 discs and carriers plus new mk3 vr6 calipers.
    All went well, apart from the first shock that I hadn't noticed the dust cover and bump stop had fallen off while I was modifying the shock nut tool to fit!
    5mm spacers for clearance as just too close after fitted to the inside face of the wheels.
    All good, even subframe bolts came undone, Ideal.

Sorry, didn't get to ask this earlier, I bought a set of braided lines for the car, but the fronts look stupidly long, and have a long banjo end, so for now I've kept the original hoses, any suggestions if hoses are correct and need routing differently, or do I need to order G60 fronts? Pic of hose length included.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Vinnie and cupracraig like this.
  2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nice hands!!

looks good [:D]

3. dodgy

Cheers Sam, you should see the other one, its much prettier.

4. Savagesam

Don’t tease me like that

dodgy likes this.
  5. dodgy

Ok, seems I was sent mk3 vr6 lines, not mk2,so I'll be ordering new front lines.
    Driving to work this morning, have had a bind start on front calipers, pads were really tight going in, once warm it must nip a little, so I will face them off later, pads were definitely mk3 which are thinner than g60 due to caliper difference in width, possibly pads are a compromise size.

6. dodgy

Well, following on from the front end upgrading, the rear came in for treatment today.
    Bilstein shocks and lower springs with the new caps fitted were put in the correct place, then turned attention to the brakes.
    Rear mount brackets cut from a polo 9n3 rear beam axle and cleaned off flat, with the tapped holes drilled out to 10mm to allow bolts to pass through.
    9n3 stub axles, polo 6n2 rear hubs and new discs.
    Calipers and carriers are polo 9n3 too.
    Cleaned the beam threads with an m10 tap before installing the new parts which gave an easy install.
    Hose brackets were supposed to be specific for the mk2 golf, but I've ended up modifying them to fit, and used mk4 caliper conversion braided hoses with banjo fitting.
    New handbrake cables too, bought them for a post 88 gti, but the outer sheath seems too short, it doesn't go the original route and cuts across to the centre of car plus, the inner cable is about 5 inches too long, so wondering if should try pre 88 which I think are 1800mm vs 1625mm of later ones, seems odd as my car is '91. Spacer tube has temporarily sorted a working handbrake, and I'm going to make new rear brake pipes , just coiled and secured until I get new ends.
    And just for you @Savagesam , told you my other hand was prettier.

Attached Files:

cupracraig likes this.
  7. Savagesam

@dodgy something seems a little fishy, I can’t quite put my finger on it!

cupracraig and dodgy like this.
  8. dodgy

Modified focus master cylinder fitted this evening, and fully pressure bled the brakes.
    Gradually getting bits done heading towards the engine swap.
    When I'm under the car next I will template for bracket to fit the original pump bolts and take a mk4 fuel filter ready for change to mk3 gti tank and mk4 lines.

Attached Files:

9. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

What size is the Focus cylinder bore?
    Much to fitting it?

10. dodgy

24mm i think, followed the guide here:-

https://www.clubgti.com/forums/inde...er-to-mk2-servo-modification-for-1-8t.274109/

Drilled the pushrod seat by 3mm, using a pillar drill, its sprung so needs a bit of care to do,and calipers to check constantly.
    Blanked 2 outlets using bleed nipples, got cylinder off Ebay, non ABS mk1 focus and paid about 20 from memory, swapped a mk3 golf reservoir so it has the clutch take off when I fit t4 clutch cylinder too.
    Very easy to fit, as long as dont drop nuts, needed to rebend the two pipes to go in the other side of cylinder.

11. dodgy

Nice weather again today, few other things been going on lately, the seat leon had dpf light come on in week, garage couldn't get any error to show up or regen, so had a nice drive after work yesterday from Halifax to Manchester airport in it, 4th gear, 63mph to get a regen sorted, all fine now. Got the mgf on the road yesterday too, quick shopping trip and the brakes are starting to come back to life properly after 18 months in the garage.
    So, to the golf, had a word with the guy that sprayed the green one and he is going to sort the new wing and front panel for mine.
    Sunroof is all back working as it should thanks to Brendan at Dubsock for sorting the pair of stainless arms, and to all who helped answer my questions.
    Was going to do some wiring but got a little diverted towards the drivers door repair that needed finishing, quick grind, skim and paint tidied it up for now, and t cut the rest of the car except for the roof which the original owner made a real mess of, any little scratch, chip or mark caused him to red oxide a patch and then paint white, definitely preserved the car, but looks like it has pink splinter camo on it, not sure what to do with it yet.
    Resurrected the arches and door trim with heatgun and armorall, and fitted the retro stripes.
    Ordered new coils, plugs and connectors G60 engine mount, new belt for non ac or pas, and couple of other bits ready to get engine up together.

Attached Files:

12. Savagesam

It’s got a starsky and hutch stripe! [:D]

dodgy likes this.
  13. dodgy

Still unsure of the stripes at the moment to be honest, may take them back off yet.
    Garage got cleared on Sunday, massive sort out of bits, hoist brought up from the shed.
    Plan is to take car off the road this weekend and then start the swap properly, but not everything goes as planned so we will see how we get on,
    Tank, gearchange, driveshafts and exhaust hopefully will be mostly in place by the end of the bank holiday.
    Then on to electrics and plumbing.

14. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

loving your work!

dodgy likes this.
  15. dodgy

Well, its begun.
    Exhaust off, radiator out, front in boot, interior plastic removed to get to fusebox.
    Lets hope weather holds.

Attached Files:

cupracraig likes this.
  16. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Go Dave :thumbup:

dodgy likes this.
  17. dodgy

Got quite a good hit on the car today, only one real snag that changed plans but more of that in a mo.
    So, pulled car out the garage and got it jacked up, removed the loom, driveshafts and bits that left it drivable, then the hoist came to play and out came the 1.6 auto, then in went the S3 engine and 5 speed gearbox. Cuppa time.
    Next swapped the bottom arms to the mk3 4 stud ones I bought, plus new mk3 non pas track rods using the tool I got about 10years ago to sort my clio van.
    Then the mk3 tdi driveshafts, only to find that the outer cv didn't fit the mk2 hubs, think they must have been mk4 and advertised incorrectly.
    Solution needed, mk3 vr6 wishbone, shafts, arb hubs etc dug out the shed and bolted on in place giving 5 stud widetrack, and the old 17s on for now, big discs and calipers will now be fitted too.
    So not quite as much done due to shaft problems, but the engine is in!
    Next the pedals, tank, fuel lines , cooling and wiring.

Few pics, including the mk3 vs mk2 track rods.

Attached Files:

18. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

That's a pretty serious update!

dodgy likes this.
  19. dodgy

Mayday! That's what I needed to shout as I nearly drowned with all the rain!
    Managed a few bits today, gearchange fitted, little tickle with the grinder and removed the original brackets and enlargedhole for reverse mechanism, drilled two new holes and made a plate for the rear.
    Wiring loom removed, servo had just enough clearance to wiggle it out, headscratching to follow.
    Pedal box removed, and accelerator pedal, had to remove the steering column so clocks out and unbolted whole bracket then chopped off the shear bolts and wound the remaining bits out, new bolts refitted.
    Now have hydraulic clutch using a Boost fabrication bracket and cylinder, mounts above pedal, feed from brake master like a mk3, and custom HEL line out to slave cylinder on the mk4 tdi box.
    New speedo cable connected in engine bay, ready for when dash gets reassembled.
    Grinder action shot for effect.
    Rain stops play.
    Must be mad, I've spent the afternoon with my head in the footwell, backside stuck out in the freezing rain getting soaked, muppet.

Attached Files:

20. Peter Forum Member

Fantastic to achieve all that in such a short space of time, kudos

dodgy likes this.