MK3 Colour Concept

Discussion in 'Engines' started by paulm2322, Mar 11, 2021.

1. paulm2322

paulm2322 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi folks, I have a starting issue with my CC. I have replaced the battery and starter motor but unfortunately the problem remains.

When I turn the key to start the ignition process, all the lights on the dashboard illuminate but I get nothing at all from the starter. No noise at all, just turn the key and nothing. I was taking my daughter to school this morning and it happened again. I kept the key in the position where it would normally start and after approximately 15 seconds, the car fired up!

Does anyone have any idea what this issue could be because it's driving me crazy now?

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Paul

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sounds like ignition switch to me, next time it happens give the key a good wiggle. also if you remove the lower plastic trim loop a wire in the back of the ignition switch between the red and red/black starter should crank

Tristan and paulm2322 like this.
  3. paulm2322

Thanks for the reply Rub. Is this the part your are talking about?...https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/6n0905865-ignition-switch.html

I'll have to start scouring YouTube to find tutorial on how to change it.

Cheers,

Paul

4. rubjonny

yep that'll do you fine. before you go to the effort of swapping it plug the switch to the car and turn it with a screwdriver just to be sure it fixes the problem. its a simple job but a bit of a pain as the ignition housing wont come off until after the spline adaptor is pulled off. but you can just about get to the screw with a bent watchmaker screwdriver but means head in the footwell. if you take out the ignition housing bolt plus the one at the bottom holding coloun to universal joint you can pull whole column out then attack on the bench

paulm2322 likes this.
  5. paulm2322

Brilliant! Thanks for such a detailed reply Rubjonny.

I'll order the part and get ready for some grazed knuckles :lol:

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

As above sounds like typical ignition switch, I took the whole column out when I did mine on my mk3 cc, pretty easy job.

paulm2322 likes this.
  7. paulm2322

:thumbup:
    Thanks GVK

8. paulm2322

Might have to take it to garage if this is the only way to do it. Don't have them tools!

9. H8V

h8v Forum Member

First of all, check that your new ignition switch cures the problem. Remove the lower plastic shroud (2 screws I think) then have a look at the back of the ignition switch, remove the socket and plug it into your new ignition switch. Then test the operation using a screwdriver to operate the new switch.

Or, as RJ said "loop a wire in the back of the ignition switch between the red and red/black starter should crank"

Only if it then works correctly is it worth fitting the new switch.

paulm2322 likes this.
  10. rubjonny

get the trim off and have a look for the screw, if you have a small screwdriver you can bend that'll be enough. or just pull the whole column out then you can attack on the bench. no special tools needed.

a brute force method to get the spline adaptor off is fit the nut back to column, place a bit of wood on it then smack with hammer. the column will collapse and adaptor pops off.remove ignition housing, refit wheel loose with nut then pull hard to re-extend and carry on with the job

paulm2322 likes this.