Just bought MK1 Caddy project with MK2 GTI PB engine installed, a few questions

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Josh Slade, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Josh Slade New Member

Hi there,

A few days ago i purchased an 87' Caddy that was originally a 1.6 diesel, but it's had a 1.8 PB engine with Digifant II half installed in it, It seems mostly wired in but the car is completely dead, Won't crank, no lights no nothing, what are the basics a Digifant II needs to run? Can anybody point me in the direction on how to learn about them, i'm savvy about cars enough to wrap my head around most things, but new to the world of golfs, would the standard mk1 golf haynes manual be okay?

Also the car has no drive shafts, will I need caddy driveshafts or mk2 gti drive shafts? i'm assuming the latter, will they be compatible with the hubs, which i believe are still stock caddy 1.6 diesel

If you need any more pictures i can take any, any help at all is massively appreciated!!

Thanks

https://i.imgur.com/6sKs5ZQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uLcGiSQ.jpg

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Digi is very simple.
    Has a moving flap air flow meter, a dizzy with a hall sender, and batch fired injectors.
    No cam or crank sensors.
    Blue temp switch is for the ecu.

If its not cranking though, you may have issues with key switch, batt, earths etc.

Josh Slade likes this.
  3. Josh Slade New Member

Yes that's what I assumed, that it wasn't tied in with anything else, I believe my issue will be earth/ fusebox related

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Josh Slade likes this.
  5. Josh Slade New Member

6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Oh and Josh, RubJonny is the oracle on vw wiring.

Josh Slade likes this.
  7. Josh Slade New Member

https://imgur.com/gallery/p4qwbna

Here are more pics, engine cranks over with key now, but has no spark, i’m not sure the coil is wired up right, what should be connected to it? tried to included relevant pics

PS this is how the car was when i bought it! not my doing

8. rubjonny

fusebox looks good overall, theres no rear loom plug but that wont stop it cranking. engine side there is a coolant level warning 43 relay plugged into the wiper motor plug for some reason, so fix that :lol:

your coil should have 2 blacks n the live side and either 2 red/blacks or red/black and green. one set of wires from fusebox and other from ecu loom.

someone has just thrown a mk2 loom into your car though and made no effort at all to make it fit so that wont help at all. the mk2 loom is almost twice the length of a mk1 loom as fusebox is on driver side

anyway, fist check now is to make sure you see 12v between the big red chunky wire spades on fusebox and the big brown chunky wire white 4 way spade block. also check red wire on ignition switch for 12v, look at ignition loom for signs of old alarm/immobiliser bodgery

9. Josh Slade New Member

that would make sense as to why there's so much excess loom [:D] the car cranks over from the key now so that's all sorted, just don't seem to be getting any spark, so i'll sort the coil wiring out and go from there, then perhaps look if the digifant and ignition control module are getting power and working properly, what does the ignition control module do? would that prevent me from getting spark if it's broken or is all that sorted from the ECU? Doesn't seem to have had any aftermarket alarms fitted thank god, got a 1984 Mini with one and it's a bloody pain! again cheers for your help you're a hero mate

10. rubjonny

ignition module on digifant is just there to trigger the coil to spark, all the spark advance is handled by the ecu which tells the module when to fire. the module has 4 wires, 2 go to the coil, the ones I mentioned earlier. 1 wire to ecu which is the trigger, and a long earth off to battery negative along with the ecu earth, its a long pair of wires crimped into a single ring terminal (or would have been originally :lol:)

ecu gets power from fusebox 53 relay in slot 1, this should click ignition on. fuel pump is the one in slot 3, this should click on for a second or 2 then click off as it tries to prime the fuel pump

also you should have an earth from ecu loom to the side of the head

Josh Slade likes this.
  11. Josh Slade New Member

So just to double check on the coil i should have 2 blacks on the positive side and 2 red/blacks or 1 red/black and a green on the negative side. which 2 go to the ignition module? i'm guessing the two on the positive side?

12. rubjonny

one from each side of the coil. so you have a black and red/black from coil, ignition live and rev counter. then from ignition module black and red/black or green, which is ignition piggy pack to power spark module and spark trigger from module

13. Josh Slade New Member

Ah okay i see, i don't have a rev counter yet as i still have the old caddy clocks

14. rubjonny

the old caddy clocks would still have used rev counter signal for oil warning system, but trouble is since they're diesel it wont be compatible anyway as different signal. just leave the fusebox side red/black off for now if it plays up (worst case oil buzzer will go off basically)

15. Josh Slade New Member

Okay cool i'll try it and let you know how i get on

16. rubjonny

in one of the pics I think i can see the original mk2 coil black and red/black wires inside the car, with a wire tap to extend it into the bay. sitting just before the hole in the bulkhead

17. Josh Slade New Member

18. rubjonny

radiator fan and thermoswitch, you've probably got the old caddy wiring hooked up as thats all on headlight loom

19. Josh Slade New Member

Okay i see, will all the coil and ignition wiring still be the same as you described?

20. rubjonny

yep thats all engine loom side