Clearance issues advice please.

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by PhilRyder, Jun 21, 2021.

1. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Dodgy and I have been discussing this ( @dodgy ) but there is a front track width question.
    We are putting the equivalent of G60 brakes on our MK2 1.3.
    The wheels we have chosen are JR JR6 16 X 7j et35. However, they are quite deep dish so there is very little clearance for the caliper carriers.
    The result seems to be that we will need 15mm spacers. With the extra width of the wheel that means an extra outboard width of 27.5mm.
    Is that too much on the front when it comes to steering feel etc?
    The car is now standard GTi 16v height. The arches have been cut at some point in the past so that should not be an issue.
    Also, will the track be wider at the front than at the rear (rears have standard drums)?

All advice greatly received.

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Go for it, reckon will be fine with the quick workings out, can put stub axle spacers on the rear to widen it to match. The shocks on the front have a bit of leeway to dial in a bit of negative camber with the slotted hub bolt holes so can add a little extra clearance with that if need.
    May notice bumpsteer more, and heavy steering when low (parking) speed as you dont have power steering, I really noticed the difference on mine with 7j and mrs dodgys mk2 with narrower wheels.
    What tyre size are you using?

3. PhilRyder

The only tyres that seem available to maintain original diameter are 195/45.

4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Similar width, I'm on 195/50x15s.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ET20 getting quite extreme and you may not like it, I had ET13 all round and it felt awful. fit some spacers now before you do all the brakes see how it is. worth trying the wheels with 256mm brakes, if they fit then go with that. more than good enough

6. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

my BBS come to an offset of 27, wheels are 8j and running a 195/45 tyre with no rubbing ... so i think you wll probably be ok.

PhilRyder likes this.
  7. PhilRyder

Thank you, that's reassuring.

8. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

I run a 15x7 et13 on track and although no an ideal offset for scrub radius etc, it handles great.
    If you can you would be better sticking with an et35-38 wheel for the best scrub radius, but its a toss up between performance and how you want the car to look.

I use to run a 15x6 et38 on track and I felt no difference behind the wheel, I actually found the wider 7's to be much better.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

strange as I found with the ET13 wheels on mine the handling was noticeably worse, cant blame it on the tyres as I swapped them back over to normal offset wheels before I got shot of em

10. PhilRyder

Thanks all,
    We've plumped for 16x7 et 35 with 195/45/16. Unfortunately due to the front brakes and the dish on the wheels we are needing 15mm spacers so effectively et20 :(
    They should look fab though :)