Terrible idle and 1st gear problem

Discussion in '8-valve' started by AngryLupo, Aug 13, 2021.

1. AngryLupo Paid Member Paid Member

I have a 1991 Golf MK2 GTI 1.8 8v with only 89K on it. It has a terrible idle and 1st gear problem. My car consistently idling speed (RPM jumped up from 1100k to 1250k idle speed) when at neutral after the car was warm, the idle problem was gone but still issue with 1st gear as went quite slow. The biggest risk when at the roundabout and easily cut out my car with 1st gear. I have done: Replace Injectors seals, new gear linkage and have cleaned isv unit then still happen loss power in the 1st gear, when changed to 2nd gear then all went well. Replaced fuel pump, still the same problem in 1st gear. Been replaced temperature sensor and still the same. Not sure what is wrong with idling issue and 1st gear loss power, wasn’t powerful as before. I think it could be an air leak somewhere I have missed? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Did you set up the timing and fuelling as per the famous Rubjonny guide?

NateS2 likes this.
  3. AngryLupo Paid Member Paid Member

Fitted new cambelt four years ago along brand new Bosch distributor was running fine back then. Car been sorn for three years until back on road this year. Will you give me a link our hero Rubjonny's guide?

4. Tristan

5. AngryLupo Paid Member Paid Member

6. Tristan