To noise deaden a mk2 from exhaust drone

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by WAUOla, Apr 9, 2021.

1. WAUOla Forum Member

So my mk2 is the CL version, lots of bare metal in the boot compartment.

Fitted Jetex ss resonated exhaust last year, which further worsened the droning, making it a ride with ear plugs and Peltor for the kids...

How to best battle the drone and make it a more long distance driver?

mid imagine some stick on materials alike Dynamat would do well. But what would be the best priorities to work through? Boot floor, strut towers, under rear seats and the tunnel?

Doesnt want to add too much weight either due the silly small 1.6...

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

The guy from Dynamat i spoke to at one of the classic car shows, used to have a mk2. He said the underseat area of the rear bench and boot floor are the first priorities.

WAUOla likes this.
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

best thing is change the exhaust, Jetex are just loud unfortunatly

Ray P likes this.
  4. davidut5 Forum Member

Noticed on my jetta when i have the boot full with luggage is a little bit quieter. I imagine sound deadening would do the same, which is not enough.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  5. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Yes that Jetex exhaust is the reason for most (if not all of the noise) - remove the exhaust as RJ says or else be prepared to install an awful lot of sound insulation underneath the boot and floor carpets.

6. WAUOla Forum Member

Ideally I'd get the Milltek kit with my small bumpers, but sadly it's so pricey. But yes, the Jetex exhaust is the main reason. Are they genuinly so much louder than the general stainless exhausts available`? I'd imagine thay had some level of quality to them, being Simons pieces and all, but the drone is just ridiculous for a resonated version. Basically I now drive it with ear plugs ...

That said, the previous basic replacement exhaust also made drone, but to a milder degree.
    Was looking at Killmat kit from Amazon.com to be honest, fitting the "80 mil" (2mm) at boot floor and under rear seat, and "50 mil" (1,25mm) on other areas.

7. WAUOla Forum Member

Sadly some comments are - alike on Venom's page - that Jetex is a bit more quieter. :(

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

mate had a miltek on his mk2 abf, was lovely. I had a scorpion on mine back in the day that sounded great too but got rid of it as wasnt a fan of the DTM tips, I'm all about the rolled tips

9. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

I have the oval scorpion. It's horrible

10. watercooled Forum Member

I removed the suitcase muffler on my mk3 VR,what a mistake,drone @ around 2500rpm was a real headache ,read on the net to line out the spare tyre well with sound deadening,this proved not to be very effective,but I did find fitting the same material under the rear seats helped more,still never really sorted it then sold the car.
    Had I kept the car I would have fitted a small resonator @ that point but not sure if that would have worked completely ?

11. WAUOla Forum Member

Took the old Quattro (Milltek) and Golf (Jetex) out. Now I didn't measure the Quattro, but the Golf came in at LAeq 64,5 dab, Lmax 81,9 dB and LCpeak 120 dB at some small roads then doing some kms of 80-90 km/h road.

12. davkav

davkav Paid Member Paid Member

I've a milltek exhaust fitted. The cabin drone whilst cruising at 100-120 km/h can be annoying. So much so I wore my noise cancelling headphones on a long journey before. I have sound deadening fitted to the whole floor also. But maybe I'm just getting old...

WAUOla likes this.
  13. Tristan

Did Neil ever say if his new one was quieter?

14. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

My old mk2 GTi 8v had a jetex on it, really nice sound not too loud either, did have a magnex one on my 16v many years ago and after grounding the exhaust front silencer going into a car park later the silencer case cracked all the way round so ripped it out and put a straight piece of pipe on to get it back on the road quickly what a mistake boy was that loud at anything over 60mph you definately needed ear plugs then [:D][:D] I ended up replacing it with a supersprint system best one I ever fitted to a mk2.

15. WAUOla Forum Member

Have been looking at maybe getting some £300 worth of Killmat from Amazon... But I wonder if it really is worthwhile.
    I did experience a bit of drone fatigue on the old basic replacement Bosal setup too, just to be clear.

Checked with Jetex, and their kit seems to run the 2" resonator of 2,1L. There is a 3,3L silencer - although not cylindrical - with same hight of 10cm which may dampen even more?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  16. WAUOla Forum Member

17. Adamss24 Forum Member

I have done a similar job to a Mercedes amg just in reverse order (!), customer wanted it a bit more throaty ! Cut back boxes open and removed the padding + welded new pipe inside the boxes to keep it TUV friendly. However the Main noise canceling were the middle silencers, by removing those a gain of over 20 decibels was achieved !

Attached Files:

18. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

I have the Miltek on my B-reg Type19 and it’s a lovely system and looks really original with the twin side swept pipes, but, because it is slightly bigger bore than original and, more significantly, my B-reg only has the cutout in the rear valance for a single pipe it doesn’t fit properly. If it had the larger, later model cutout wouldn’t be a problem but a year down the line I’m still pi**ing about with it trying to stop it knocking on the body work. Hanger on the back box is all wrong for my car too. Just a word of caution before you pay a lot of money. Obviously don’t want to cut out the rear valance to accommodate it so might have to go to extra expense and have it modified to a single pipe???

19. Tristan

Why not just cut the valance?

WAUOla and AndyBa like this.
  20. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

That Tristan, is a very good point. Just seems a bit brutal. It is the easiest option though. You’ve got me thinking now..