1.6 auto engine swap

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Fat-Col, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Fat-Col New Member

Hi all first post here iv got a 1989 g reg mk2 golf 1.6 driver auto, Iv only bought it to 20v turbo it, iv done some searching an pretty confident I’ll be more than capable of doing all the work my self, the only question iv got is are all the mounts g60/Passat etc still the ones I’d need to use with it being an auto, Donor vehicle is a complete mk4 gti

in short I just want to make sure the swap is the same as it would be if it was a manual 1.6 driver

Any help / advice would be great

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Are the subframes the same?

3. Fat-Col New Member

I don’t know my self hopefully someone can answer that

4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Yep, same frame, that's what I did, mine was an automatic Driver to 20vt with 5 speed, one thing to note when doing the conversion is the pedal box, the early ce1 pedals fit in normally, but when came to refit everything the bracket that holds the fusebox ce2 type didn't fit well, wouldn't have figured it was something that changed, so if you can get a pedal box from a later ce2 type car it will make things easier for you.
    I used boost fabrication brackets for the engine and their hydraulic clutch conversion too, was a lot cheaper also than the equivalent used parts.
    Look for Dodgy Driver, that's my build thread.
    Auto driveshafts are different too, so need manual set depending on gearbox and track width too by the way.

5. Fat-Col New Member

Dodgy that’s perfect thank you as for the track I’ll get some 1.6 manual shafts as I want to keep it as standard looking as I can going for a sleeper build, on a side note my 1.6 auto is also a white 5 door :thumbup:

6. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Cool, nowt wrong with white more doors.
    Re the driveshafts you will need the 1.8 gti ones, 100mm inner cv joints, that is to match output flanges on gearbox, but if you use a mk4 box and it has 108mm flanges need to change those to 100mm.
    I used a mk4 golf tdi gearbox and that had 100mm flanges.
    My original plan was mk3 gti track with 5 stud, but ended up mk3 4 stud tdi widetrack (for now anyway)
    Tdi box gives good ratio on 15 inch wheels, Obviously will need brake upgrade, g60 style fit under 15s, I need spacers on mine 5mm to clear inside of wheel, used mk3 tdi hubs as have the bolt on calipers opposed to the Satan's hand set up that the lower power mk2 have.

7. Fat-Col New Member

My plan is to use the engine and box and as much as I can from the mk4 I’m trying to keep the cost down where possible, I’m not looking for no show winner just a safe usable car

dodgy likes this.