Dodgy driver

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by dodgy, Mar 7, 2021.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Got an intermittent problem with the auxiliary water pump on the golf, the one fitted is the original S3 one and sometimes it is either noisy or it doesn't after run (may not have run with engine either)
    So seems it may be off to the great parts bin in the sky.
    Is it possible to use a mk5 golf auxiliary pump which appears to be smaller, have a nice mounting hole and cheaper than the TT/S3 one?
    Think the electrical plug is different, but that's easy to fix.
    Any thoughts appreciated, thanks

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Don't see why not, as long as the hose outlets match and it's a dumb 12v pump must be loads out there you can choose from

3. rubjonny

What engine is the Mk5 one from, can look up the diagram. The R32 ones are just triggered by a relay

4. dodgy

5. rubjonny

just a 12v pump yup, will do you fine

dodgy likes this.
  6. dodgy

Cheers me dear, appreciate your checking for me :thumbup:

7. dodgy

Swapped the door panels from my golf into the green one as it has my old interior so now matches, going tohave to think about recovering them soon, either suede or May go for vinyl and tartan.
    Ordered a few parts for the snagging list,
    New auxiliary water pump as its getting supply but not running.
    Pair of non pas track rods, thanks to @rubjonny for his advice on both those items
    And a pair of mk2 gti driveshafts.
    Already have a set of new mk2 wishbones and balljoints.
    Plan is to go back to standard track width as the mk3 tdi set up with 7j wheels is annoyingly catching the front arches, yesterday had to go to site for work and tools and two people in it through the lanes was the deciding factor really.
    Standard rear lights have been refitted also, bit more of a sleeper look.

costel1969 likes this.
  8. dodgy

20211013_175748.jpg Got the lower dash trim off earlier to see what was going on with the brake lights which packed up the other night, plus I will replace the clutch bracket while it's accessible with the new one with the microswitch for clutch pedal.
    Back to the brakes... supply to the switch fine on pin one, but no output on pin 4. Pins 2 & 3 for ecu work fine, diagnosis- switch kaput.
    Root through the stash in the garage thinking had new one but realised it was in the box of parts I dropped over my mates last week for r32 mk3.
    So while Mrs Dodgy is watching strictly I've taken the switch apart, cleaned all the contacts, reset shaft and reassembled it. Popped it back in via torchlight and...

Hooray it works! Will order a new one as a spare, but at least it's driveable.
    If weather holds the plan is narrow track fitting tomorrow, all new parts set to go on.

Almost forgot, in the week got the auxiliary pump out and fitted a mk5 one, much quieter and works, only a pic of old one in process of removing because tea was on the plate, then got dark and rained.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    erreesse and PhilRyder like this.
  9. dodgy

Not being computer savvy or access to 3d printing I've played with what I know best and gone old school in starting a mount for the seat switches. 20211022_153207.jpg
    Half six this morning made a wooden panel at same angle as the mk4 switches. Bit of sanding to do, followed by cut to size and texture paint and hope it will look OK in the centre console. 20211022_153301.jpg
    Other option may be passat switches and fit in the dash, after slightly enlarging the hole, they sit vertically instead of horizontal, but haven't been out and about to find some yet.
    20211022_164532.jpg
    Had some help while measuring stuff up on the golf too.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    erreesse and costel1969 like this.
  10. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Good stuff Dave, your carpentry skills are top notch so it will look good I'm sure. Bring a bit of classy Britishness.............
    On another note, are you going for the Bedouin tent look for the interior? :p

costel1969 and dodgy like this.
  11. dodgy

Well, the quick fix of last year gave out, I'm considering buying one of those new headlining in black, basically weather is changing so bit cold to glue and replace original one although the price of materials is a little cheaper but not that much with what I looking at.
    Sanded the panel today, but will measure up properly for Monday.

12. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I lol'd at the tent comment

PhilRyder likes this.
  13. Vinnie Paid Member Paid Member

If that what it’s called. Mine would have leaked then as the last owner stapled the hell out of it

PhilRyder likes this.
  14. dodgy

Wire and fuse holders have arrived today so the heated seat loom can be constructed soon.
    Also had a new battery arrive today, well yesterday actually, but the courier messaged late yesterday afternoon with a time slot, plus link to change so clicked it and it goes straight to a survey of "how did we do?" Then at 5 past 8 last night had a notification saying left with a neighbour and a card left, I had it delivered to work, so knowing its mainly businesses around thought was a little odd.
    So from 7 am I have been playing hunt the battery due to no card being left, tracking not recognised on the courier website, or the other courier that the seller had informed me they had used.
    7 neighbouring companies had no delivery, 4 private houses in the vicinity drew a blank, as did the pub up the road. Messaged the seller again to ask for a refund due to not receiving it, then they came back within 5 minutes that it was HT, a gym nearby which has extremely odd hours, nobody was there until I left work tonight, and they said yes had a package dropped off and had just taken it to the rug shop, (had checked earlier with them) managed to catch them as locking up and yep, it was my parcel, grrr!!!
    Arrived home, put battery on the green golf as its been sat and needs fresh mot so can sell it.
    Wound it over and it fired, smelt a bit rich, got out and petrol was squirting all over the engine due to a split hose, so lead light out and replaced 2 hoses (just in case on 2nd one) all sorted, just a wheel bearing to check and should be ready to go.

15. dodgy

Not updated recently, been few things happening which haven't been so great, plus work and weather.
    So today it's been dry but cold, got outside for some jobs.
    When I fitted the TT seats the plan was to wire the heating elements up, loom made previously and fitted today, along with passat switches in the dashboard, had to slightly trim the switch holes with a knife as they are about 2mm bigger, loom runs down to the centre console then out under the carpet to each seat, then supply switches with +ve, earth, ignition +ve and illumination.
    Heat up nicely, so pleased with that. 20211121_132719.jpg
    Tidied the wires that I'd run quickly to the rear up the passenger side, aerial with supply for amplifier and a brace of speaker wires as I've still not got to the root of no rear tunes so if it is wiring then I have them run already to connect.
    Swapped the last two door cards between the golfs so Allie's Green one has the complete Driver interior in it, not mismatch. In time I will retrim the white golfs ones to a nice fabric, have an idea, so watch this space. Grey tweed for now though :(
    20211121_132740.jpg

And after that, I've been getting mrs Dodgys golf ready for its mot, washers topped up, rear wheel bearing tightened (have a new one, just in case it doesn't work) and whilst doing that found another exhaust rubber snapped, the one before the backbox so changed that and thought the rear one looked iffy and the nut holding the bracket was a little loose, went to tighten it and it sheared off, was able to grind flat and drill it out to fit a nut and bolt along with the new rubber. 20211121_151830.jpg 20211121_152559.jpg
    And exhaust position is restored 20211121_152701.jpg

And the offending mounts. Also aerial plug reinstated to the stereo properly as it had been damaged, now replaced and reception good. 20211121_152641.jpg

Suppose we haven't really used the car much in the last 6 months so finding a couple of things now it's ticket time, nothing major, can get it booked in when get chance.
    On a plus note, saw something on it that I had totally forgotten as not been underneath it since did the resto really, Polybushed rear subframe, owner that had it before us (actually our mot guy) did all the underside, new shocks, lowered springs, brakes, bushes, etc. know it was his project just never got round to the bodywork bits and don't think he expected us to say yes when he offered it off yhe cuff one afternoon.

16. PhilRyder

:lol: been there, I'll just nip that up.........
    Satisfying getting lots of little jobs tidied up in a day, makes you feel like you have achieved something :thumbup:

dodgy likes this.
  17. dodgy

Definitely was the most productive day I've had in the garage for a while.

Tristan likes this.
  18. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

good updates mate, glad to see you are braving it through the cold now!

dodgy likes this.
  19. dodgy

It's grim up north, as they say.
    How you getting on @cupracraig , did you get anymore info on the extension?

20. PhilRyder

You live in a beautiful part of the country. If the weather was more tropical I'd live there.

dodgy likes this.