MK2 golf dash vent flap repair

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by stevec, Nov 27, 2021.

1. stevec Paid Member Paid Member

HI all.
    Are the foam seals that sit around the flap of the directional dash outlet air vents (X4) available to buy? Noticed a you tube video of someone repairing some and i know mine have deteriorated.
    If not has anyone repaired theirs' and what size foam(thickness) did you use.
    Thanks
    Steve

2. Matt Golf Forum Member

I have just repaired mine. I used sound deadening closed cell foam. 2mm or 3 mm works fine. You can always trim with a stanley blade/scissors if it sticks. the advantage of the sound deadning foam is that it is self adhesive so fits well

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I think, Matt, that you're talking about the flaps inside the box, and Steve is talking about the small seals at the edges of flaps at the dash vents?

stevec likes this.
  4. Matt Golf Forum Member

Hi. I did the little seals around those dash flaps. Made a cardboard template and then cut out the same shape in sound deadening. Works well and should last longer than open cell foam which gets brittle easily.

PhilRyder likes this.
  5. stevec Paid Member Paid Member

HI.
    Yep those are the ones. All 4 of mine need doing. Any pointers in what material and size i will need to order. The guy on you tube used foam and stretch fitted it to the flaps made it look a very easy job to do. Can this be done with sound deadening you used?
    Thanks
    This link

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  6. Digi Forum Member

I bought a sheet of black felt from The Range for £1. I stuck it on with contact adhesive and trimmed with scissors. I stuck to one side of the flap on the top and the other side on the bottom so that the felt compressed when closed.

7. Matt Golf Forum Member

Yep anything like that works. I think my closed cell stuff was 2mm thick.