Sill rot vs MOT for mk2 golf

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by saladman, Jan 24, 2022.

1. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

Is a 5p sized rusty hole on inner sill a concern for MOT?

Hidden when rear door closed.

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Probably.

3. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

It’s worth a punt, if nothing else it’s an opportunity to see if there’s anything else they pick up but don’t be surprised if they spot it.

4. Adamss24 Forum Member

Get some brush on underseal and paint over it ! It hides defects pretty well !

5. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Should be, plus let's more water in, best get it welded up, trouble is if bodge it with fresh underseal they will probably poke around more.

6. stephen stanyer Forum Member

I would fix as it will not get better. If its spotted onthe mot it is sure to make them look harder

7. Mk2daz

Mk2daz Paid Member Paid Member

drill it to a nice circle and fit a rubber grommet over it

Then fix it properly post MOT ;)

MJA likes this.
  8. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

It sounds like it might be within 30cm of a suspension or seat belt anchor so probably a fail. I like Mk2daz above to get you passed and then fix it properly over the coming year.

9. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Get a picture up. Could drill it out, and put a blank cap in it and say it's a waxoyl injection point.

10. saladman

Car is currently languishing at my mum's house but will grab some photos when I'm up there prepping it this weekend. From memory it's in the middle of rear door bottom where the rubber door seal sits on the seam. Hopefully remote enough from the important bits.

Top idea @Mk2daz!

When I first spotted it a while back I sanded back to bare metal and painted it with some gunky stuff I had to hand. I know it's not a real solution but hopefully gives me a bit more time to get it properly chopped out and repaired.

Elsewhere the car has suffered from the dreaded rotting sunroof drain channels so the front floor is a bit of a patchwork of MIG by what looks like have-a-go-heroes but is generally solid. Plan is to get it through the MOT then address as mentioned in suggestions above - albeit as a rolling resto [:D]

Think I should bother putting the carpets back in or instead tidy it up so it looks like I have a plan and not trying to sneak a rotbox through?

Photos to come after the weekend. Thanks for the advice so far.

Mk2daz and dodgy like this.
  11. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

If you are on good terms with your MOT man it shouldn’t be an issue should it?
    Alternatively, stick a piece of tape over it. MOTers can only do a visual check and are not allowed to peel or poke about so they won’t see the hole.
    As said above, it needs fixing but you know that ……… ;)

12. saladman

I'm definitely guilty (and/or proud!?) of using aluminium tape to cover over rusty arches to get through an MOT - it's metal, right!?

13. saladman

See below for the professional repair conducted this weekend. I had limited time and materials but I did have the foresight to order some Oak Green paint to help...

george-sill-bodge-before.png

george-sill-bodge-after.PNG

Didn't grab a photo with the seal back in place but doesn't look horrendous - although it feels dirty.

Poor old thing needs some new metal on the floor too. Still goes well though - I gave it a run on some ... private roads to clean the brakes up and clear the cobwebs [:D]

MJA likes this.
  14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if it makes you feel better around 10 years ago I glued a bit of metal at the top of my rear inner arch over a small rust hole with some por patch. still there, no-one is any the wiser :lol:

oldnick, AndyBa and saladman like this.
  15. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

My you have large 5 pences :p

16. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Yes small grommet and tell em it's used as
    An access point for wax oil.

17. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

saladman likes this.
  18. saladman

Insert some excuse about talking about the old 5ps ... or the photo was taken close up haha

19. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

That will get you through the MOT. Sometimes we have to do what we can - I've often considered JB weld for some tight spots and even tested on a bit of metal i left out in the garden - strong bond still to this day.

It is worth getting a 2nd hand cheap but decent welder, some argon c02 mix gas, 8mm weld wire, metal cutting and flaring tools and having a practice off the car. You'll find the welding part is pretty easy but the shaping of metal is the tricky part that takes forever. I once paid £300 for a patch on my floorpan and realised I could not go on like that. I don't attempt stuff that is structural or on show (yet). Once you've mastered that part it will be good to master what products you put on top of the completed job - MOT style outfits just spray black underseal over but that will only last 5 mins in our climate.

20. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

Like RJ I have successfully used glue to get through an MOT...