Cold/hot starting problems

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by Scotty mk2 golf, Mar 15, 2022.

1. Scotty mk2 golf New Member

Hi guys and gals

I have a mk2 16v with an abf motor fitted on kjet
    The car is off the road at the mo, having alot of work ie structural and body work. A few months before hand it developed a starting fault.
    If I start it first thing in the morning it starts perfect, but if I take it for an extensive drive for like an hour and then park it up for a few hours (so the engine isn't quite cold). It is an absolute pig to start.
    Now if I unplug the fifth injector the car will start. Its almost like it's being flooded with fuel with it plugged in. But obviously this has the opposite effect. It is a pain to start when cold

Has anyone come across this fault before? Is it well known?
    I've been considering fitting a switch to the injector when I've got it back together. But would rather fix it really.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

3. Scotty mk2 golf New Member

Thanks bud I thought it may be the thermo time switch, as it seems to over fuel when the fifth injector is plugged in. You can smell how rich it is from the exhaust.
    Think I will stick some injectors in it whilst I'm at it as I've never replaced them, had the car for 15 years.
    You don't know of any reputable places to get hold of the parts do you?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

5. Scotty mk2 golf New Member

Thank you! Will get some ordered and hopefully no more starting issues

6. Martin 16v Forum Member

Have you check your residual fuel pressure When hot? Could be the outer seal on the pressure relief valve letting fuel return to tank?

Should hold 2.6bar for a good 10-20mins once switched off at working temperature

7. Scotty mk2 golf New Member

Hi buddy!
    If this was the case, would it not have starting issues on the morning also?
    As the fuel pressure would have dropped over night. Thus causing bad starting first thing.

I should have it out of the body shop in a couple of weeks, so I can start tinkering with it.
    Personally I think it could be the thermo time switch as it seems to over fuel constantly when the fifth injector is plugged in.
    From cold it starts instantly and from hot. It's just when it is luke warm the issue starts, or doesn't start haha. It seems to flood the engine.
    With the fifth injector unplugged it starts fine other than from cold, as you would expect.

8. Martin 16v Forum Member

Not necessarily no, though now you mention it the thermo switch sounds more promising