2L 8v conversion guide

Discussion in '8-valve' started by JamesB, May 13, 2006.

1. Chrisrpal Events Team

The PB code engine is a 1.8 and AGG 2.0 so a PB headgaset won't fit on an AGG block as bore diameter bigger for the 2.0. Plus you want the metal head gasket not paper type as they are cr* p.

I did this conversion about 3 years ago, worked very well until the big ends went, but the abf 16V what I have now in my MK2 is even better and so easy to do, pretty much plug and play!! ;)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  2. dubsteps Forum Member

ahhh right yeah of course !! right I'll get one of those then, cheers

3. jinsta New Member

Guys, what kind of running idle RPM is expected with a port/polished PB Head, Piper 285 Cam, Pre95 Mk3 block..using the digifant fuel injection system? Will it need to be set higher to compensate for cam like

4. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Try and tune as close to 980rpms as possible.

5. jinsta New Member

Ahh, was kind of hoping you would say more as i thought it should be around the 1k mark too. I recently bought a tired project and its revving around the 1500s lol Checked for all leaks and fine and cleared out the TB gunk, but needs to be maintained high (just with TB adjustments) or very choppy. Leads me to assume the ISV is a poss cause so guess my next fix(Obvious stuff like fuels ok and changed the dizzy, arm and leads, plugs etc as precaution when got the motor)

Anything else on this conversion a common likely to nerve the idle/general running after a while? and with dizzy...are these maintained at the stock 6deg mark with C/O around the 1.8 still optimal like? Ta in advance

EDIT 12/12/12: Dizzy, arm and leads, plugs, ISV (2ltr gti one) & Knock Sensor changed (On front so does it make it a AGG then??)....runs smooth under load, but cant get it to idle lower than 1100 before cutting out. When warm, idle or stopped in traffic..likes to rise to 1500RPM, quick rev brings it down again to 1100...but still not right :thumbd: Car now off road :(

EDIT 27/2/13: Temp/Oil sensors changed (blue temp was tread in type opposed to the flat clip in raddo/g60 looking one i think most you have), AFM changed, tank flushed and fuel pump replaced. Dizi was seized and had to be tapped out from bellow :( - set roughly back and running solid now...no sticking/pinking, but not right! Timings off and CO too rich so be trying the rubjohnny guide on weekend!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  6. dubsteps Forum Member

Mnes all in and running sweet now, nice torquey motor a worth while upgrade in my opinion, I've used my mk2 gti gearbox which I like. I replaced my blue temp sensor on my pb head and that sorted the idle problems for me, I'm just gonna plumb in the front crank vent soon as really don't like the idea of the little filter on the front, i'd worry about water ingress

7. jrgibb

jrgibb Forum Member

Quick question, this thread is headed up Mk2 conversion. Does this work for a MK1, well an 87 1.8 GTI Cabriolet????

Thanks J

8. neil kaye Forum Junkie

ive not read the whole thread yet but in the 1st part it says if you use an AGG block you need to use a 2E dizzy for obvious reasons but cant you just use a PB dizzy

9. molegti Forum Member

I don't think the PB dizzy fits the hole.

10. neil kaye Forum Junkie

thanks dude can anyone confirm?

11. BenjaminVWH Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Pb dizzy is too small for the hole in the 2e and agg blocks. You have to use a 2e distributor as it has four window cutout on the hall sender, if you you use an agg dizzy you'll only have 1 cylinder firing, which isn't all that helpful.

You can swap the pb dizzy internals into an agg distributor body but it can be an effort.

12. neil kaye Forum Junkie

ok thanks for that

13. markis236 New Member

Hi guys going to do this conversion I'm my mk2 golf but was just wondering if I can use my mk2 gearbox flywheel and clutch set up do I have to use the mk3 gearbox and stuff

Thanks mark.

14. Skidmk2 New Member

great information and details mate! Definitely want to do this but I am not 100% confident around my engine. what would be the easiest straight forward bottom end to use with my C-reg 1986 Kjet think it engine code EV?

also if I get the head ported does this mean the exhaust ports move to be straighter, then does this mean I will have trouble fitting the exhaust?

i suppose the higher block will mean i will need some modification to the exhaust to make it fit..

thanks and sorry if silly question

15. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

You need to use your mk2 gti gearbox, flywheel and clutch be aware though that the flywheel mounting bolts in are coated with a ring of thread lock these will need cleaning and new thread lock applied or get new bolts and torque to correct setting also clutch mounting bolts make sure you do these to the correct torque setting.

16. james2u New Member

Hey james I am doing a engine conversion from a golf se snd putting in my golf gti 2l mark 3 engine in and I was wondering are the principles the same and is there any chance that you can put a turbo on that engine or a super charger I am a mechanic so have a good noledge on cars thanks James

17. Dwaynepowley6969 New Member

hello mate I have done this conversion isn't running sweet atall don't think I have timing right not 100% sure tho I put the mk2 pulley on so I could run my mk2power steering and water pump I no I haven't blocked breather or ran them to my catch tank I'm putting in hopfully should run ok alfter if not timing must be out slightly.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

18. Dwaynepowley6969 New Member

help if can please

hello mate I have done this conversion isn't running sweet atall don't think I have timing right not 100% sure tho I put the mk2 pulley on so I could run my mk2power steering and water pump I no I haven't blocked breather or ran them to my catch tank I'm putting in hopfully should run ok alfter if not timing must be out slightly. doesanyone have any pictures or anthing on how the timing is ment to look on the drive for dizzy to the bottom pulley ?
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

19. stytrhe Forum Member

Just read through this guide,very informative as I'm planning to do this conversion. Is there a way to stroke the 3a block I.e fit a diesel crankshaft ? I was thinking of having the block rebuilt anyway, as was wondering if this was possible.

20. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

There is...fit a diesel crank, though can't imagine they're easy to find now.

You'll gain a bit less than 60cc, but move the powerband down. Torque increase would be around 3-5ibft depending on the spec, but may or may not gain extra hp as the peak rpm will be lower. The last thing an 8v needs is more capacity to deal with as you can't get big enough valves in it in 2ltr+ form...more capacity needs more air to see a proportional gain.
    Pistons will need decking by just over 1mm, the exact amount will depend on the squish being aimed for.