2.5L 5 Cylinder 07K into Mk2 engine swap

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by stytrhe, Sep 30, 2022.

1. stytrhe Forum Member

Hi,
    been looking at an 07K engine swap into my mk2 golf, I've seen Fabless do a fitting kit, which make the engine bolt in. I'd have to get a custom wiring loom made, and run stand alone management. Unfortunately the 07K engines were not released in this country, so I was seeing if anyone has experience in import an engine (will be from the US) ?

Cheers
    Ross

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

No help, but I'd love to see ir happen.

3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Excuse my ignorance, what's the v5 we had in beetle , bora etc? Is that similar just different code?

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Noooo, thats a VR6 with a cyl missing , the 02k is an inline-5.

dodgy likes this.
  5. watercooled Forum Member

Not sure about these motors as never had much to do with them,is that the 20v turbo one ?,however I did read they are used in the early US spec new Beetle.
    Think it was on a US site I read a thread on a guy fitting one to an Mk2 Golf but the chassis rail needs to be cut in then boxed up which is fine but as many know you can do what you like in the US unlike my country or the UK for that matter.
    Reckon it would be a great conversion and certainly something differant,the sound of these motors is lovely,IMO the VR5 sounds like a VR6 but the inline 5 is in a class of its own ,went for a drive in a UR Quattro years ago and not something I will forget.
    Having said this maybe it is a VR motor not the inline one ?.

6. watercooled Forum Member

Well thats answers my pointless reply LOL.

7. stytrhe Forum Member

Fabless manufacturing do a bolt in kit which means you don't need to do any cutting and welding :
    https://www.fablessmanufacturing.co...engine-swap-kit-vw-mk2?variant=19200768606277

8. stytrhe Forum Member

I was trying to see if anyone had experience of import heavy car parts i.e. engines from the US. I tried contacting Orchid Euro, but I think since Covid they have stopped shipping items.

9. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Aah, thank you, didn't know there was a straight 5, or did audi do one too?

Switch happy euro used to import stuff, may be worth talking to them, also have stuff on ebay usually, search votex mk3 or something similar, may be able to contact via one of those routes.

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

07K part prefix code is also known and the internal VWAG project EA855.

These engines share features with one bank of a the V10 and V8 FSI engines.

In the USDM market only, for the PQ35 chassis, the smallest petrol engine was a 2.5 NA engine.
    These engines were fitted to the Rabbit, Beetle, Passat and the Jetta base models.

Because they can be picked up for as little as 400 USD, enthusisasts started to use them as cheaper alternatives to the still expensive TFSI CEPA/B engine.
    Because of the low speed, low output the NA MPI EA8555 operates in, the engine has very purpose built cheap internals, that will need to be strengthened so that it could be suitably boosted.
    I know of a few folk in the UK and a few more in the EU, who have projects with that engine, running and not.
    It can be made to work, but is still much more expensive to import then modify and you would have been some way to performance goals with an EU only EA390 VR5 20v.

dodgy likes this.
  11. stytrhe Forum Member

Thank you Toyotec, a wealth of information. I'll have a look a few other easier engine options for the mk2.

12. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

MK2 Golf, if you want a good 5 cylinder for an EU application, start with the plentiful VR5 20v.

This is an engine the USDM did not get. As potent as a CBT/CBU EA855, even at 2.3 litres and a much stronger base engine with boost through it.

By the time the USDM guys got the NA 5 pot in the PQ35 chassis, here in Europe we were downsizing to a 1.4 TSI with twin charging.