88 GTI 8v first start after 10 years any advice welcome

Discussion in '8-valve' started by GTIBOB, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Was thinking that view looks very familiar then noticed your 'North of Ireland'... you're going to have to let us know, curiosity's got the better of me.

2. GTIBOB

GTIBOB Paid Member Paid Member

Tackled the gear linkage orange shaft bushes. A pain to say the least with just axle stands. Decided to fit the bush in front of the gear lever by cutting through to centre and forcing over shaft (as shown in YouTube vid). No heat shield removal…..
    Heated the three piece bush in boiling water to soften which did help. You can then use the gear lever to force the combined bush into the hole in box (a bit of grease helps) a fiddly job but better than taking box and shaft out of car. Once pushed home the bush closes up to a tight fit despite having been cut. Can’t see this budging for some time. Well worth a try.

Next project was to try to make myself a weighted shifter link. Might have just bought one on eBay but the few I’ve seen were £30 odd so time for plan B. Make my own.
    So I recently rediscovered a roll of self adhesive lead strip as used to make leaded stained glass windows. Very heavy so I began to wind the adhesive lead around the link bar to about 50mm dia. And repeated about 10 times = really heavy. So then slipped some black plastic drain pipe over the lead. Had some thick heavy duty rubber so made and slid on these thick washers either end to prevent any slipping along link bar. Then covered pipe with some self adhesive carbon fibre sheet and think it looks ok.
    Can’t feel much of a difference in the shifting but maybe on road will be more noticeable.

Attached Files:

3. GTIBOB

Tonight’s job was to begin replacing the rocker cover gasket.
    So I have managed to get the cover and old gasket off.
    Can anybody advise as to what to do with the mesh filter under the breather. As the photos show it seems blocked with black gunk. I’d say this is the first time the cover has been off. Should I thoroughly clean this breather with degreaser?? Should you be able to see light through the breather mesh??
    Advice appreciated before I refit cover.

Attached Files:

4. GTIBOB

Attached Files:

5. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

I reckon that cover could be soaked in petrol (or possibly diesel) to shift all that crud out of there

6. GTIBOB

Instinct tells me to clean it thoroughly with degreaser should it be possible to see through the mesh?? I’d say very little air could pass through at the moment. Can any harm be done? Is there some sort of filter inside

7. GTIBOB

Had a go at cleaning the mesh in the rocker cover with degreaser. Even with stiff sink brush not great results. The degreaser does seem to flow through but even if held up to a bright light can’t see any light through. Why is the mesh needed???

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the mk3 rocker is just hollow, i suspect with the pcv valve its not so much of an issue but the rocker is shared with other models and/or vw didnt bother to re-design. there are a couple variants one which looks more like a windage tray and iirc there are some which are just plain inside

9. GTIBOB

So got rocker cover back on. Don’t have a torque wrench so just tightened up the 8 nuts firmly but not over tight.
    Went out for a 20 mile drive to see if the new gear linkage bushes and homemade weighted shift rod made any difference. No question the gears can always be selected (1st and 5th used to be reluctant at times). Shift is now quite positive in all gears but I’m not convinced the weighted shift rod makes much difference to the ease of selection. See how it goes.
    So now debating whether to waxoyl the underside and running gear or………
    Replace the heater matrix and renovate heater box.
    Wonder if removing the front seats makes it easier to remove the heater box???
    Really been putting it off for too long. Got the matrix

10. GTIBOB

Noticed the hose feels cold where pointing but other side of valve is hot. Can theses bypass valves stick shut and prevent hot water getting to matrix. The small return hose at bottom of valve is hot. I know it’s best to change the matrix but it doesn’t appear to be leaking but the car did sit for 21 years

Attached Files:

11. GTIBOB

Found this…..is this the infamous headlight resistor that people complain about. I recall I had a headlight replaced about 30 years ago and this was in bag with old light….??

Attached Files:

12. GTIBOB

Whilst rummaging I also unearthed these. The Sharp which I had in my Mk1 Jetta in ‘86 I believe. The Panasonic I think is also’80s.
    Going to try to power them up.
    I currently have a 23 year old JVC CD head unit which works well.
    Tempted to fit one of these older units because I have some great’80s tapes.
    Any comments on which of the two to fit to the Mk2 GTI

Attached Files:

13. costel1969

Don't think so - the one I removed was a about 2.5 - 3 inches long and cylindrical in shape with 2 cables on either end of it.

[​IMG]

14. costel1969

1. Change the matrix out - this has been gone over previously and you know it needs to come out so just drive on.
    2. I would recommend removing the seats - They are easy to remove anyway with the centre console to maximise room. I know some folks remove the dash but from what the experts say it's not necessary and might lead to unwanted rattles/squeaks.
    3. Go with the Panasonic, far more cleaner look to it and would (in my opinion anyway) just sit nicer in the mk2 dashboard.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    GTIBOB likes this.
  15. Zender Z20

Looks like the radiator fan temp switch - don't know why, but maybe from when the heater bypass valve was retro fitted (possibly by a dealer because that was a recall) - just guessing?

Read somewhere they fail eventually too, better getting shot of it. A new matrix (that'll automatically be an upgraded MK3 item since that's all that's now marketed) does away with the need for it anyway - unless your particularly attached to it.

Wouldn't bin it though, seem to sell when they appear on eBay for some reason!

Panasonics of that style / age were VAG UK accessories, will look well / period in the car... I've a brochure somewhere, will stick up a piccy.

I was dreading changing the matrix too, is kind of a pain but that was mainly because it was the first time... hopefully not, but if I had to do it again it would be 10 times easier knowing where all the screws are. Read up as much as you can in advance, rather than as you go along.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  16. Zender Z20

Brochure's dated April '86.

Could stand to be corrected, but if memory serves, my '92 8v had a Panasonic tape deck (K01 model?) as standard fit, probably because of VAG UK rather than VW themselves?

The catalogue's for accessories so those pictured are presumably what you could pay extra for.

Panasonic1.jpg
    Panasonic2.jpg

Panasonic3.jpg

GTIBOB likes this.
  17. GTIBOB

Is this the resistor?
    Lights main and dipped working well and quite acceptable at night.
    Should I leave well enough alone???

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  18. costel1969

Yes that’s the culprit

19. costel1969

Your call but I would take it out and pop a little lighting loom upgrade while you’re at it - very straightforward plug and play job

GTIBOB likes this.
  20. GTIBOB

So I have the new matrix for the Mk2 GTI (is this the correct one? Is it the preferable Mk3 upgraded one?)
    Going to roll up sleeves next week and make e a start on the tear down. Will most likely be on here regretting starting!
    Probably will be worth the effort

Attached Files: