Quaife ATB = Overrated?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by wussel, Jan 11, 2005.

1. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

so why buy a quaife?

try driving a fwd car with 200BHP or more with and without a decent diff then come back and tell me they don't work........

seriously, this is why peopl sl*g orff the vr6 and say it doesn't handle. it's becasue they try and pile on the power in a bend and it lights up the inside wheel and understeers.

our Lupo 1.0 feels like it's glued to the road, because you can drive it flat out everywhere and the tyres don't even squeak! why? because it's got 50bhp..............

2. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

VR's are shit with a diff to! :p ;) :lol:

3. AndrewF Forum Addict

mine seems fine with just EDL...it all about how you use the throttle ;) :lol:

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

5. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Obviously not all of us have the driving skill that you have

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Oh, that was nasty Rob, acf's typing finger will be running on qualifying fuel now! [​IMG] :lol:
    Edited by: GVK

7. wussel Forum Member

I have not said Quaifes are rubbish, just that on my car, it hasn't changed the handeling in the extreme way that everybody elses car on the forum has.

Now that I have tried it on track it works in exactly the way I want it to, as a track tool which dosn't intrude in my road driving unless needed.

Just because I don't let my car wheel spin or understeer everywhere dosn't mean I drive slowly on the road or track, I just try and use all the available grip and no more.

8. vrbanana Forum Junkie

I refer the gentleman to the answer I gave in one of his previous threads:lol: :lol:

9. AndrewF Forum Addict

nah, that won't be it...mkII's have less traction than a mkIII, EDL really helps loads. in my mkII (admittadly with some very questionable tyres) it nigh on impoosible sometimes to keep in traction in the wet, i spend so much time left foot braking as a form of TCS. (bet you weren't expecting that answer gary :clap: )

10. chrismc Forum Junkie

Add some more grunt into the equation & the ATB diff becomes very necessary on the road... [:$]

2L block in the pipeline Wussel?? ;)

11. rradogolfman Forum Member

wussel i think you are being a bit to carefull, turn your car into a bend in a controlled manner and nail the throttle, you will know the quaife is there,, when i used to drive mattd`s / chrismc`s car it was the diff that impressed me equally as much as any power,, you just need to learn to drive in a way as to make the diff work for you,, i.e. make use of that extra grip out of the bends,

12. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Is'nt that how it should be?
    nice mannered but just gets on with it without being intrusive

13. wussel Forum Member

Olly, I think I am going to have to let you, Matt and any other Quaife experienced drivers have a go. I am quite happy with it now, like Bill says it is doing what I want, being nice mannered but gets on with it when needed ie on track.

14. rradogolfman Forum Member

id love to have a go in your car with the new diff,,,

15. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

If nothing else the ATB is an absolute legend in the snow as well on the track - I had the pleasure of an 020 ACD box with an ATB for 3 months before I killed my car on the way into Edinburgh in April. Thought I add my comments AFTER having 3 months experience... Totally transforms the car and you can really fly through the corners. IMHO they are WELL worth the expense

16. Guests Banned

You have to learn how to drive a Quaife DIFF......was amazing in my car!!!! like having 4wd on corners...used to pull the front end in like it was on rails.....also helped so much on wet roads.....

17. Fenn Forum Member

iv just had to swap back to a standard box/diff for a bit and its sh*t!

the wheels spin so easily now even just accelerating hard in 1st and 2nd it spins.

but i have found that the back end seems less twitch now i haven't got the diff in.

18. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

Had a quaife fitted to my old red 8v (god rest her soul [:^(])

The guys at TSR took me out for a spin after the conversion to show me how to drive with it. Even with crappy tyres the handling was transformed, especially in the wet :p

19. wussel Forum Member

Surprised to se this thread coming back to life almost a year on :lol:

Anyway, since I started this thread I have had a bit more work done to the engine, and now with the slight extra power and torque, I can feel the diff helping me more. I am pleased with it now I have got used to it.

20. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Would it help with torque steer problems? Mines always trying to launch me into hedges or busses at the moment, could it be my setup? (bushes ok/ 1.5 neg camber, zero toe).