Mk2 floor bungs: keep/replace or weld over?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Fagaf, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Fagaf New Member

Redoing my floorpan sound deadening, some floor bungs have some surface rust and come off easy.

Are they worth replacing with new ones, or should I weld over them (if they are useless)?

Also what would be the process when fitting replacements, some form of sealant?

Should I make cutouts in my Dynomat for these bungs in case of potential issues later on? I'm really just looking for the best way to avoid them being a problem after applying the deadener.

Thank you

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I wouldn't cut the dynamat. Iirc they were for when the shells were being dipped on the assembly line, so they don't serve any function.

3. Fagaf New Member

I was thinking of replacing the small bungs that seem totally shot (bigger ones are in much better shape), dynmatting the pan leaving cutouts for the larger bungs, and sticking a smaller inner square piece of dynamat over them - assuming it would be enough to reduce vibration, and avoiding the job of having rip out all the dynamat should rust arise around the larger bungs in the future.

Very new to this and I'm a bit of an OEM freak, any thoughts/suggestions majorly appreciated.