Pin Identification

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by NateS2, Oct 13, 2020.

1. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

Would anybody be able to identify this pin?

TE and VW have been no help. Its the pin used on T3's and MK1's to connect to the cluster, and for the power mirror switch

upload_2020-10-13_11-35-22.png

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Some say, he has blue wires with red tracer for veins, and he did all his state exams in VW part numbers.
    All we know, is he's called the Stig.. Oops I mean RubJonny!
    And if anyone knows, it'll be him.

1990, costel1969, dodgy and 1 other person like this.
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I've been looking for these and the mk2 cluster versions for years, years and yet more years. I can tell you the original VW part numbers, the TE/AMP part numbers, but you wont find them. They were also used on some Italian motor rear light connectors, but supplies for those have dried up as well :(

only way to get a proper repair on these looms is find a donor car and strip the required wiring out of it

4. NateS2

I've found the repair wire for it but they're out of stock. Do TE actually make the pins? I gave them the part number on my power mirror connector body and they said that they do make the body (its restricted obviously) but they don't actually make the pins? I spent a couple of hours looking yesterday and the closest I found are some Wurth ones, but I think they are probably too short :(

5. rubjonny

yes TE/AMP make pretty much all of the terminals for VW. heres the part numbers, but yeah you wont find them anywhere I've messaged TE direct and they're long gone:
    925883-1/2 - MK1 clock pin, 0.5-1mm2 (2-3) Federkontakt 3x1 - (N 017 191 2 -> N 017 191 4) 3558-997-4
    963779-1/2 - MK1 clock pin, 0.5-1mm2 (1.4-2.3)

VW have actually started doing the mk2 ones again, but they're over €2 each so sod that, assuming they haven't all gone now

6. NateS2

Would you be interested in any 925883-1 if I can get some? No idea how much they'll be, but there's a very small chance I can get them in small quantity. (Less than 10,000)

7. rubjonny

yep for sure :)

can you check mk2 pins also on the off chance:
    925947-1/2 - MK2 clock pin, 0.5-1mm2 (2-3) (N 017 897 4)
    925946-3/4 - MK2 clock pin, 0.5-1mm2 (2-3)

8. NateS2

I would say they're both a maybe, but possibly more likely than the MK1 versions. I'll ask when I get confirmation about the first lot. Its a shame really because the impression I get from TE is the worlds your Oyster if you order 10K+, even if its obsolete, as long as they have the drawings, they'll do a run. But obviously the demand isn't that high for this type of thing.
    I would guess that when VW got that set they would have most likely bought the remaining stock from TE, rather than requesting a full production run,

9. NateS2

After much trying, there is 0 stock worldwide. That includes samples and defects. If VW do decide to make an order however, even its its just to make repair wires, there is a chance TE will make the parts active again and sample kits will be available.

10. rubjonny

I wasnt holding my breath tbh, I've been looking for over 10 years without much success. I found an ebay seller who had the mk2 pins for a good price, something like $4.99 euro for 25 pieces. I thought it looked too good to be true so asked them to double check, the answer was yep correct. ordered 8 of, received 8 terminals rather than 200. was not pleased, unfortunately they refunded me rather than sending the rest :(

11. NateS2

oh that shame, you probably had his last 8 hahah. Do you have a list of the terminals that are used in other connectors on MK2? For example the plugs on the back of a CE2 fusebox or those 2 pin spade terminal things? I think I remember seeing a list somewhere but I'm not sure?

12. rubjonny

I have made my own list yes, theres a few out there on teh internets also.

the ce2 pins are junior/power timer and standard timer, these are used all over on VW looms. for ce1 its multimate type 3 and mate-n-lok, the mk3 ecu pins are micro timer

13. NateS2

Ahh okay great! I'll get some ordered ready for my headlight loom. :)