Mk1 fitment 3" K04 style conversion downpipes.

Discussion in 'Trackslag.com' started by Trackslag, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Trackslag

Trackslag Forum Member Trader

It would be rude not to make an offering to the Mk1 crowd. These pipes will be of the same high quality and attention to detail as our existing pipework. Me telling you how good our pipework is means nothing, but take a quick look around and you'll see nothing but positives from our (lovely) customers.
    Spec will be 2.5" stainless steel, mandrel bends, TIG welds and built to flow!
    Prices are to be confirmed once we've built one, but we're hoping that it won't be much more than the existing mk2 K04 downpipe, so that will make it somewhere around the 250-280 mark.
    This product will be kick started into action on receipt of a small deposit as an intention to purchase from just 3 or 4 people.
    Any questions? :)

EDIT- Spec is now 3" and price is 285 plus 10 for next day, before lunch delivery.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  2. peterg60 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Birmingham & Midlands

nice one m8 count me in even tho i got a duff engine but new 1 on its way. 3 inch be nice mmmmmmmmmmmmm

3. Trackslag

Cheers Peter :thumbup:
    I know that you're going to be running a Franken turbo F23 and supporting mods, so if we can get the 3" pipework in there without compromise, we will.

If anyone knows someone from another forum who may be interested in this, please give them a nudge our way. Don't forget that this will also fit Scirocco and Mk1 Jetta.

4. Trackslag

I've decided to go ahead regardless and start production of these. Having owned many MK1's as a younger dude, I wouldn't be able to sleep if we didn't.

5. Trackslag

Little update.
    We've hooked up with someone locally that is in the middle of a rather tasty build. Main thing is it's a good straight motor to make the jig from.
    We'll probably have this product up and running by about the first week of December, if all goes well.
    It's usually around this time of year that people retreat to the garage with a heater, dust down or make space for the impending project so this could be good timing for many of you.
    It would be nice to know how many to make initially before we resume usual stocking levels, so if you want to join the list, please let me know.

6. Admin Guest

what about KO3S downpipes or is the market already saturated with those at a similar price?

7. Trackslag

Hi Jon, we've looked at the K03 fitment but unfortunately it presents too many compromises for us at this time. The turbo outlet points straight at the bulkhead and more importantly, the steering idler. The layout just doesn't favour the K03.
    The K04 turbo arrangement allows us to get pipework in there that will still flow properly without endangering you, or your precious Mk one :)
    Never say never though!

8. smudger1980 New Member

Just bought a KO4 setup for my MK1 and have been directed here by JonP. I need a downpipe for the setup but your website says coming soon. Any updates??

9. Trackslag

Hi smudger, as I've already e-mailed you I'll share the news with others.

Everything is coming to a head with these. We should have the first one made by the end of the week and limited production over the following weeks until we can build a nice level of stock.
    Once the pipework is finalised we'll be in a position to put a price on it, so I'll update the thread later in the week.

10. smudger1980 New Member

Standing by for an update. Can you provisionally stick me down for a ko4 mk1 down pipe please.

Cheers.

11. Trackslag

Great news! It's done. We were aware that pretty much everyone who did this conversion would not be running stock power, so we've future proofed this one.
    We've designed and built this downpipe to perform beyond any power level previously seen by K04 turbos. To do this, we've had to step up the pipework to 3" [}:)]
    It's a two piece design to allow easier fitment and comes with one lambda boss. It's designed to be used with a cable change gearbox in place as we think that nearly all running this setup will have got rid of (or killed) their rod change box.

Thanks to one of our very helpful members, the car we've used to mock things up on has a V3 Relentless manifold and a Frankenturbo F23 fitted. We know that the Relentless manifold is popular so we wanted to make sure that we didn't have any clearance issues.
    If the promised figures for this setup come true, this should be a little beasty.

We'll be pricing this one at 285 plus postage at a tenner. That's 295 next day to your door.

I'll be posting some pictures later :)

12. smudger1980 New Member

Have replied to the email Matt but I'll post here too. Please stick me down for one. I'm a deffo for one :)

13. peterg60 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Birmingham & Midlands

nice one m8 3 inch aswell. and it looks awesome

14. Trackslag

Cheers Peter, you're a star!

Thanks Andy, yours will be the first one out of the jig :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next picture is to give things a bit of scale. This is a mk2 K04 2.5" pipe next to the 3" Mk1 K04

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  15. peterg60 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Birmingham & Midlands

its massive defo gunna flow lol

16. Admin Guest

shiny, i like!

17. Trackslag

It's been sat in my living room since last night, it's very distracting when you're trying to watch TV!

18. smudger1980 New Member

When do you think these will be ready to ship Matt?

19. Trackslag

Yours will be the first one to be posted and hopefully this Friday! :)
    We'll be dealing with the initial demand as best as possible but they'll be available on a next day basis in the new year.
    This is what you'll get when you order.

* A two piece 3" downpipe.
    * Two nuts, two bolts and a gasket to join the two halves together.
    * Big grin.

20. smudger1980 New Member

Just to update this thread I received mine yesterday as promised. Excellent service from Matt. Can't wait to get it fitted. :thumbup: