Emerald K6 - AGU engine

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Reg93, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Reg93 New Member

Hello,

We are all familiar with the ever ageing AGU engine, the tuners who now support these are slowly diminishing.

I have looked at Emerald K6 management from Badger 5 with the loom, i presume it is plug and play and use the base map to get it to the tuner?

Anyone got experience with Emerald on these engines?

2. Mk2daz

Mk2daz Paid Member Paid Member

Hi mate,

I have recently put an AGU with full ko4 setup into my mk2 scirocco, i have converted the scirocco ce1 loom and spliced it to the AGU loom as per RubJonnys guide on here.

Emerald make a handy adapter that connects to the AGU ECU plugs and links them to there ECU connector - so it really should just be plug and play.

http://www.emeraldm3d.com/emerald-k6-ecu-plug-and-play-adapter-vw-audi-1-8t-agu-engine.html

I have the K6+ ECU with the above adapter with a basic 1.8T Emerald base map flashed and i think thats all i need to get it running. I wouldn't advise driving the car with just the base map however, or if you are perhaps unplug the N75!

Another thing to mention is the AGU is narrowband lambda control. I'm by no means a tuner but i believe this limits the capabilities when it comes to remapping.
    What i have done to overcome this is purchased a wideband lambda sensor and controller and binned the AGU one.

I'm still learning lots about the Emerald as i go and hoping to actually fire it up for the first time this weekend coming in which case i can post a bit more info in here.

cheers.

3. golfprince New Member

How did it go?

4. Mk2daz

Hi mate, got it to run fairly decent in the end after upgrading to 550cc injectors. See vid below

5. golfprince New Member

Sounds good!

I'm looking at buying a k6 ecu but it's a lot of money so I just want to make sure it is what I'm wanting so I've got a couple questions if you don't mind answering.

What tuning software does the k6 use, tunerstudio or what?

Where do you find the base map for the 1.8t AGU and how do you apply it?

How did you install the wideband lambda sensor? Was it straight forward?

And most importantly (I'm 17 lol) can I tune in a 2 step limiter, no lift shift, and overrun for flames?

Thanks

6. Mk2daz

1. You use the Emerald software provided, or you can download it from there website alternatively.

2. When you buy an ECU from them you can ask them to load a generic base map on to it if you provide some details on the engine. I bought mine second hand so had to trawl a few forums and speak to a few more experienced people to get my rough base map in place, although come to think of it, I'm sure Emerald themselves could have provided me with a file.

3. The ECU i bought came with an AEM wideband lambda controller/gauge and a wideband lambda sensor to match, its fairly easy to wire up and configure in the software, in fact im sure there is some diagrams etc on the emerald site to help.

4. I'm not sure unfortunately, I'm sure its possible though, may want to check with Emerald themselves on that one.

Hope that helps!

7. golfprince New Member

Thanks that helps a lot!
    One last question, did you remove the MAF and replace it with a MAP sensor?

8. Mk2daz

Yes thats correct, Emerald is MAFless, you dont need one. I run a vauxhall 3 bar map sensor which is essentially the same one as emerald advertise on thier site but its much cheaper, that being said i was having some issues getting it to configure correctly.

But yes, no MAF required, but MAP sensor 100% is.

9. golfprince New Member

Thanks a lot mate you've cleared up most of my confusion lol.

Was any wiring required or literally just plug and play with the AGU adapter they sell? I know you mentioned about splicing with your Scirocco loom but of course I wont be needing that. I have a bone stock AGU mk4 Golf so it should just be plug and play into the stock ECU harness with the adapter I would think.

Since it's MAFLess do I literally just unplug the MAF and chuck it away, no progamming needed?

I've wrapped my head around installing the wideband lambda, but still very confused on how you install the MAP sensor since the car never came with one.

These should be the last of the questions (hopefully)!:lol:

10. Mk2daz

No probs.

For the most part it is pretty much a case of just plugging in that adapter they sell. The additional wiring on top of that is for map sensor, wideband lambda, basically the majority of additional sensors you add, usually pretty simple though.

Yeah thats correct, unplug the MAF and remove from the car, no programming needed if you are using the Emerald, its not expecting to see a MAF reading.

Map sensor is pretty simple too, three wires, ground, +5V , signal...signal wire goes to a free pin on the emerald and is then configured through the software. The map sensor will require a vacuum line from one of the nipples on the inlet manifold, I was recommended to keep this vacuum line as short as possible.

https://www.emeraldm3d.com/media/ppw/MAP_Sensor.pdf

Hope that helps!

golfprince likes this.
  11. golfprince New Member

Thanks its helped a lot!

I guess I'm just going to have to buy the ecu now and have a go at it!

Mk2daz likes this.