Bloody Pierburg 2e3 choke!

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by insamoufonyx, May 9, 2018.

1. insamoufonyx New Member

Hi all,

for a few weeks i have been twiddling with my pierburg 2e3 on my 1.3 1992 MK2 golf.

I have resolved various issues with the vac system on the whole engine by replacing the carb mount plate and completely re-piping it and replacing some of the end components with perished diaphragms, so i know i have no vac leaks any more.

I'm trying to get the auto choke operating properly and its just a nightmare!

when starting the car (choke flap first closed by hand) i pump the accelerator once, this opens the choke flap to the set gap, the car then starts relatively easily (Its 15c outside), the car then idles very low only just staying running the choke flap stays in the position it was before starting. If i open the choke flap by hand the idle then idles nicely at around 1000rpm. when turning off the car the choke flap stays in the open position unless i return it by hand.

i have followed guides to check the choke gap by pushing on the end of the choke pulldown adjuster on sucking on vac line A from the choke pulldown unit. This seams to be fine (have set the gap at ~ 2mm as per my haynes manual.

i have removed the choke unit, the heater element was broken but i have now repaired this and confirm it is working.

Can anyone help with this? i have MOT next week and want it running tip top to avoid any issues!

Cheers.

Rob.

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

You haven't convinced me that the pulldown unit is working right if you're having to physically push something as well as sucking on a vac line? Does it have a TTV, connected to port B of the pulldown unit? If so, is that getting 12V with ignition on?
    Photos of the carb?

3. insamoufonyx New Member

Hi Pete,

Thank for the response, having re-read my message i wasn't clear, i have set the pull down by either pushing on the end, or sucking on vac line A. TTV is connected to vac line B and is getting 12v with ignition. is there a way i can test the TTV itself?

I shall get some photos shortly.

Thanks,

Rob.

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

As far as I remember Rob, when cold the TTV lets air pass from one port to the other; when warm (via ambient temp or by its heater's action) it closes off and doesn't let air through. Can't remember what the threshold temperature is I'm afraid.

If the TTV is doing its thing, when starting up, the pulldown unit should move the choke flap to a second, wider (5-ish mm) position a few seconds (temp dependent) after it pulls to the 2mm 1st stage.