Lathing wheels - advisable safe bolt-face thickness? Opinions reqd.

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by TomAKL, May 31, 2018.

1. TomAKL

TomAKL Paid Member Paid Member

Hi all, i could do with opinions on the following please -

I've got 6x Team Dynamics Pro Rally 1 wheels, 15"x7J. These aren't the lightest wheels in the world but they were dirt cheap and clear some ludicrous brakes (they're about offset et5 so caliper and disc is miles within the wheel barrel). They come with an issue though ...

3 wheels have been lathed to increase the offset, and 3 have not. The remaining bolt-face thickness on the 3 that have been lathed is ~8mm, so basically my stud&nut kit is only holding 8mm of wheel onto the hub.

Is that safe? Safe enough to hammer around a track with trick rubber on?

The wheels have steel sleeves/inserts in the bolt holes, and the thickness of the bolt-face is very similar to OEM VW wheels. If 8mm mounting face is deemed safe then i'll be machining the 3 untouched wheels to the same offset as the rest.

Any words on this would be appreciated please!

Cheers, Tom

2. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Doesn't sound like a lot of meat left to me!, I've never come across a wheel mounting hub that thin!.

Any picture available?.

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

What thickness are the untouched ones?

4. TomAKL

TomAKL Paid Member Paid Member

The untouched hubs are about 20mm thick, and won't bolt onto the car with standard wheel bolts as there isn't enough thread. I'm using a stud & nut kit anyway so that's not an issue. The Lathed ones are 8-10mm thick, with steel top-hat inserts in the bolt holes with an angled seat.

I dropped them off at a local machine shop last night for the centre bores to be brought out to 57.1mm and the offsets to all be matched to the most-lathed one, which is the 8-10mm hub-thickness wheel. Chap running the machine shop reckons they look ok and not concerned about the hub thickness [:[]

I'll bung them on the car when they're done next week and see how they fit, if they look sketchy then i'll find some different wheels. Since the car is gonna be seriously hammered around Cadwell it's more the rear needle-taper wheel bearings that are the concern haha lol

5. Rubinwef New Member

Good to see a tall man running like that. I felt immediately after they were out of their blocks that he was being left behind and then he explodes and puts 2 metres on them in no time.

How about a Jamaican quinella at Beijing ?