New race car: Mk3 Audi TTS

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by RobT, Feb 25, 2018.

1. m1keh Forum Member

Fair enough, I saw that MRC in Banbury have been tuning quite a few golf r and TTS with dsg. So they maybe worth asking if they can do anything custom with the software.

2. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Thought I would put up a few words about thoughts on brake upgrades.

TTS has half decent brakes with 338x30mm fronts and 310x22mm rears. The rears are the same as those fitted to Mk7 Golf-R, and fronts are a very nice looking, strong, lightweight monoblock 4-pot alloy caliper badged ATE, and quite rare being fitted to TTS and I think several 2017 onwards A4s.

I have read that the Mk7 R crowd have been trying to use the front calipers as a cheap upgrade to the 340x30mm setups on their cars. It looks like the TTS disks are almost identical to the Mk7 R disks, but crucially are 2mm smaller in diameter. Had a good look today to see if a 340 disk would fit my TTS and I think it probably would, but the edge of the disk would end up almost touching the inside of the caliper. Now brake disks get hot and may well expand....personally I think a 340 disk would be too close to the caliper to be safe. Which is a shame as that would open up loads of upgrade brake disk options already developed for Mk7 R. Whats a bit confusing is that people say they have done it....well ok.....but its going to be too close for my comfort I’m afraid.

So...are going to try and get some 338x30 2-piece disks made. Ones with proper directional vanes unlike most if the OEM VAG ones. With matching 2-piece rears.

Along with uprated disks, there is also a shortage of uprated pads. I bought some iSweep IS2500 ones from Neuspeed and although they are better than stock, they struggle to activate the ABS in the dry so a pad with more bite would probably be worth using. Also they tend to hotspot the disks with pad material when used hard which then causes loads of noise and vibration till the deposits wear off. So I am working to get some better pads made to fit the stock ATE calipers.

I have wrestled a bit with trying to optimize the setup thats on the car vs junk it and fit a big uprated brake kit. The latter is probably easier, but costs around £2-3000, but the disk sizes and calipers already fitted to the car should be adequate....so I’m going to try and make them work better, and I know the wheels are going to fit!

More as it happens.

3. m1keh Forum Member

How are the front calipers mounted Rob?

Could you space them out to get the clearance you need?

Edit - Just checked on ebay. Not a simple way to space out.

Although it looks like they are bolted on using a steel insert, if you could push those inserts out and make an offset insert which was then pinned in you could probably get the extra space you want.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Could you not machine a mm or top off the outside of the 340?

5. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Probably, depending on the presence of any surface ‘features’ that seem all the rage now such as holes, dimples, slots, curves, jhooks etc.

Although on closer inspection, it looks like the whole of the 65mm pad contact area is moved inboard by 1mm per side. The ‘340 boys’ are getting away with the inside edge of the pad just still being on the pad contact area as the pad is 63.7mm wide.

The 338 and 340 disks are so similar, it makes me think a very large batch of caliper castings has been made incorrectly, or else why on earth would you make a disk 2mm smaller?????

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

It does seem bizarre. Unless they're completely different brands of supplier?

7. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I reckon the calipers were made for the 340 disks, but it was discovered that the disk was too close to the inside of the casting, and then since they had 100,000 castings sat in a big pile, they had to make a slightly smaller disk. I cannot think of another reason as in all other dimensions the 338 and 340 disks are identical.

8. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Haven’t managed to move brake developments on but still out yesterday for Liverpool Motor Club Summer Sprint at Aintree.

Weather was a scorcher. I dont ever think I have been to Aintree to see all the grass brown. So possibility of overheating tyres, and such hot air never that good for turbo engines, so this would be a really good test of the cooling capacity of the Revo intercooler.

Lots of cars in Class 1E with us including 3.8 911S, Nissan 350Z, TVR, Z4, Merc SLK, Boxter, and a 20V Audi Coupe.

Times to beat were set last time in Spring where I broke the class record, 1.99/30.9/48.18 (140). Thats 64ft, split time before Bechers bend, finish, mph over finish.

P1, out nice and steady to get a feel for the day, no launch control
    2.71/32.4/49.62(140)

P2, bit more stick
    2.75/31.8/49.12(139)

T1, time to give it some beans, LC active, TC fully off
    1.94/31.0/48.17(139)
    Good run, new PB, new Class Record by 1/100th :) Felt there was more to be had though especially in first corner as braking too early and not attacking it enough.

LUNCH. Boiling hot, but a cool breeze developing.

T2. On it.
    1.94/31.0/48.06(138)
    New PB and new Class Record :) But still broke too soon for first corner, difference coming from exit from Bechers with less slide.

Big delay, about an hour, due to a Caterham having a big off and ending up wedged under one of the horse racing jumps. Car wrecked but guy ok. Very lucky as a branch went straight through the side of the cockpit narrowly missing him. Roll cages dont help with this type of thing....

Finally T3. On it again. On a mission...
    1.95/30.6/47.81 (138)
    New PB and new Class Record. :) Hat Trick.
    Best first sector ever, had abs activated in first braking zone and really attacked the first bend. Unfortunately slid a bit too much in Bechers or that might have been a 47.6 or 47.7.

Well chuffed. Fastest 64ft of the event, Class win, three PBs, three Class Records, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree.

Regarding cooling, i dont think the couple mph reduction in top speed was due to the engine pulling timing as in the afternoon the breeze/wind did increase and this greatly affects cars top speed at Aintree. So in those hot conditions, that was a good test of the Revo intercooler.

Front brake disks took a beating, and look a bit poorly....need to sort.

How did the others do?

911 was in second with 51.80, making up a second on his last run
    Z4 in third 54.65 (a PB)
    TVR 56.34
    350Z driver 1 56.36
    Boxster 57.36
    350Z driver 2 57.53
    SLK 58.60
    Audi 20v Coupe 59.72, with some fuel and oil issues on the day.

photos to follow

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Toyotec likes this.
  9. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

911 3.8S
    [​IMG]

SLK and Audi 20V Coupe
    [​IMG]

Nice Evo, not competing
    [​IMG]

Cougar Jaguar...looked and sounded like simething from Mad Max
    [​IMG]

Really nice Mallock of mate Malc Evans
    [​IMG]

TVR Tasmin race car with big V8 in it
    [​IMG]

Team Skipmonkeyracing Camp with mate Hamish and his Triumph TR3A racer (also setting a PB yesterday)
    [​IMG]

10. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Great results yet again Rob!

RobT likes this.
  11. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

12. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

So you went faster than your Radical SR8 in an almost showroom grocery getter?
    That is absolutely outstanding!

RobT likes this.
  13. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Faster than SR8 to 64ft only. After that the SR8 was long gone. A friend is checking Aintree archives presently but we think 1.94 64ft might be the quickest ever start at Aintree.....to be confirmed. I realise this wont seem fast to the drag race boys but on a dusty unprepped track on road legal circuit tyres thats pretty quick.

14. Desertstorm

Desertstorm Paid Member Paid Member

Another great result,unfortunately it sounds like you need to retire the OE brakes and fit a decent BBK . Wouldn't need to be massive discs given the nature of what you are doing with the car. Assuming you can do that within the rules of the class. The problem with sticking with the OE caliper is the very limited selection of brake pads compounds you have to choose from, And I suspect that will be the case for quite a while if the caliper is used on very few cars.
    Vagbremtechnic have a good selection of upgrades .
    https://www.vagbremtechnic.com/audi/tt-8s-2014-onwards/

15. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Ta. I have some prototype pads in production. More news soon on those! The oem kit should be enough for sprinting (338x30mm and 310x22mm disks for Pete's sake...massive really) so I'm going to try a few more things first. I don't need big cooling for 25-120sec runs so BBKs do seem like overkill if I can make the OEM stuff bite enough. And with the savings I can buy new tyres :) which are proper critical.

Have spoken to Vagbremtechnic and they have some nice stuff there...but no wheel templates! So how do I know they will fit my wheels? Ah...you will have to buy and try sir. No ta. Stoptech and Revo on the other hand provide downloadable templates to check for clearance so you know they are going to fit once you pay out two and a half grand. If I need a BBK, it will be Stoptech 6-pot / 355mm disks - superb quality with dust-sealed calipers and I know they fit inside the OEM TT 18s. The Revo Alcon brakes will also fit, just, but are not dust sealed so they would be my choice No.2. Both without the need for wheel spacers so direct fit.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  16. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

17. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Morning.

I had to look very hard at the entire listing to find other vehicles that were actually faster than your time.

Considering yours retains all creature comforts from factory, I am amazed at the pace.

What does the "AB" mean?

18. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

The letters refer to the championships entered - some are listed at the bottom of each page.

A = Liverpool Motor Club Speed Championship
    http://www.speedchampionship.com/

B = Association of NW Car Clubs Sprint Championship (ANWCC)
    ANWCC: http://www.anwcc.co.uk/
    Sprint Champs: http://www.anwcc.co.uk/ch18-sp.pdf

There was only one car that I would call a road car that was quicker - Andy Cottrill and his new highly developed Scooby Impreza who broke the 1C record. Cracking car, more powerful than mine, 150kg lighter, and with a load more development. A good bench mark. Trailered to events though which I am not doing anymore. Shows me that there is more to come from my car with some more work.

All others quicker were faster single seaters and modprod westfields on slicks.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  19. Desertstorm

Desertstorm Paid Member Paid Member

Famous in print. From this months Audi Driver, nice words from Eddie.
    Audi driver magazine013.jpg

sports racer, Toyotec and RobT like this.
  20. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

So this is what happens to ‘uprated’ brakepads when you make them work hard. Three corners only but some hard applications and then stopping from 140mph over finish line.

[​IMG]

The spots are caused by the pad resin melting and leaving residue on the disk. Basically the pad resin isnt up to this job. Thats after driving back from Aintree about 40 miles on the road. Directly after the sprint, we had some great yellow and blue colours on there too.

New pads will be with me Monday. Have gone for Carbotech XP8 as they will do custom jobs for any pad shape and the compound sounds spot on for what I need. Chap Ian won Mitsubishi Lancer Owners Club Sprint Series a couple years running so knows what hes talking about for sprint applications, and with a similar type of car.

Got some new oem disks to go with em. Rears look massive....310mm is a blummingbig rear disk!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also thought I’d share these, nice eh?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]