Microsquirt and Bosch ignition modules

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by thegeo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. thegeo

thegeo Forum Member

Hi,
    I've been trawling the forum (and the rest of the web) for a while with no luck in finding a definitive answer to my (latest) problem.
    I want to double check my Ignition settings, specifically about dwell.
    I am having what I think is sparkblowout at 4100-4400 and am trying to reassure myself that's a separate issue.

The car is 1990 Golf 1 Cabby. 2.0 tall block (ADY) with 276 Schick cam and v3 microsquirt CR=11.5:1.
    I'm using an ABF Hall sensor on the stock 60-2 crank wheel and the stock TCIh distributor / coil / module setup to distribute spark. I'm not using the hall in the dizzy at all.

The car has been running fine for 4 years, with the occasional glitch, and consant tinkering in Tunerstudio.

Current Ignition is Golf 2 TCIh coil 2E distributor, WR7DC (gapped to 20thou) and 211 905 351 "fairchild" ignition module.
    The module was a 191 905 351 A/ Bosch 0 227 100 142 for a while.
    I also have a 191 905 351 B (telefunken) in the spares pile.

Tunerstudio settings are:
    Spark output = Going High
    Single Coil
    Spark A Output IGN1
    Standard Dwell
    Nominal Dwell = 3.1ms
    spark Duration = 0.9ms
    Hardware Latency 0 usec

aside from the "blowout" issue there are no missfires, but research indicates that all of these modules are "smart" dwell control so should be "fixed duty"
    resetting to:
    Fixed Duty
    Dwell Duty 70%
    gives missfires at a number of different points in the rev range.

Have I cocked up my ignition settings somehow?
    What should the settings look like?

2. thegeo

thegeo Forum Member

Update:

I have put a new coil on the car and it seems to be getting better.
    It seems torquier and needs less priming & cranking PW as well as WUE
    BUT!
    My ignition module is getting pretty hot.
    Currently its a 191 905 351b from a golf 2 8V digifant, with Fixed Duty at 75%, still Going High from the Microsquirt V3.

It looks to be about 60 degrees ish, but couldn't get an accurate reading, although I have an IR /laser thermometer that I got from maplin.
    Sadly I left it in Hertfordshire for my dad to fiddle with last week, so I just got caught by the neighbour, prodding the ignition module with a meat thermometer.
    There was no comment made, as I think that they've got used to the strange things that I get up to.
    It wasn't fully cooked, in case you were wondering.

It's got a chunky heat sink on it, so it's designed for some degree of warmth, but too hot to touch?
    How hot should it get without me being concerned?

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

how long was the car running for to get it up to that temp? they do get hot though and in will melt if the heatsink is missing :lol:

I've never checked how hot mine have got before but I could take a look if I can get it for a run for a similar time as yours. also where have you put the module? factory its in the scuttle so it gets lots of airflow

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Will get warm.
    If this was the question you wanted to ask me recently, I will have a look at the settings for a few vehicles that I did, running about in the field.

5. thegeo

thegeo Forum Member

Cheers!
    That was indeed the question.
    I've been driving it about quite a bit and it's not popped yet.
    Naturally, i have a spare module in the glove box and MSDroid to tweak the settings with, on the phone.

My problem getting the "ABF" inthe white golf 2 to idle on speed/density might be resolved. there was a dribble of oil getting sucked between one of the new inlet guides and the casting on #2, fouling the plug at idle. I assume this might have not helped MAP go below 78KPA @1000RPM.
    The head is back at the shop. I will have to pop over to see Noel Vance for another head gasket when it returns.