corrado engine swap.....

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by watercooled, Oct 7, 2015.

1. watercooled Forum Member

Used to be on here lots bugging people with my questions,but been a long break as I bought a 914/6 Porsche so I have been totally commited to work on this.
    To be honest I haven't really touched much on a watered-cooled VW for a while,cause my focus has been on a money sucking flat six 911 engine.
    At the end of the day this has been a huge exercise in working on a 41 yr old car,love my VW's and my corrado needs some love also .
    Found an ABF from a converted and crashed mk2 conversion,motor is a late one (1996)and in top condition,seller is reliable and said its on first cambelt change,my idea is to transplant to my tired KR corrado.
    Just want to use the existing injection cause the motor is a long block only,any hot tips or links would be most appreciated,thank you gents.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

everythign in this thread applies to you:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?133418

only difference is you have a cable shift gearbox same as the abf would have so if its got the original abf flywheel on the engine you can leave it on there and fit a new clutch kit to it. if the mk2 was converted with an 020 box then you;'ll have to unbolt the clutch pressure plate and swap the corrado flywheel over with new bolts, fit the corrado engine brackets then dump it in and swap some sensors, job jobbed

3. watercooled Forum Member

Hi John ,nice to hear from you again mate,ABF flywheel long gone,robbed by the guy I bought the motor from,car originally had matching g/box 02J ?? whatever the type can't really remember.
    Bit ****ed off about that flywheel going missing as I bought the motor as a long block,however it has only covered 120,000kms and is a very nice runner,smooth and quiet from cold start -up has to be good.
    Am I save to presume the Corrado flywheel will do the job with my early cable shifter box?

4. rubjonny

yeah your corrado flywheel is the same as the abf anyway, so no worries. it would be pretty safe to assume the abf had an 020 gearbox on it anyway if it was in a mk2, most dont bother with the hassle of converting to 02a.

the corrado shifter & cables etc is all the same as the mk3 stuff too, but it might be an excuse to upgrade it all to later 02J stuff if you find yours has a bit of slop. or just rebuild it all with fresh bushes :)

5. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks John,all good ,have a few parts on order and will give the motor a tidy up before it goes in,cheers.

6. watercooled Forum Member

Still in the game after a long time not on here,I hope to do the Corrado after the Mk2 GTI is nearly sold.
    One question ...do I need a spacer made to go onto the exhaust due to the difference between the block height of the KR and ABF,just asking ahead of time thanks.

7. rubjonny

if you stick to oem manifold and downpipe it fits fine, plus corrado has even more room than a mk2 due to it having the syncro type tall tunnel :)

8. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks again ,when I first researched the conversion I never came across this issue,I read it recently so I guess its just another bit of internet rubbish,cheers.