Ball joint relocation for more caster. Pics inside. Would it work?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by HidRo, Aug 8, 2018.

1. HidRo Forum Member

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Main thing I can see about using a design similar to this is that you'll need slightly longer driveshafts, if you kept the ball joint position the same then this wouldn't be a problem or made sure to make the spacer so it works with off the shelf shafts say mk3. other issue is your wheels will no longer be central in the arch, if that bothers you ;)

if you went with mk3 5 stud wishbones these are basically doing the same thing except the ball joint is offset in the bearing carrier by the same amount so wheel stays central in the arch. 5 stud wishbones could be one way to go, though it means changing the roll bar or fabrication to allow 4 stud roll bar to work. a mate of mine welded the drop link fixings from his old wishbones to a set of 5 stud bones to get round that. they would also need a little modification to accept 4 stud ball joints, you could use 5 stud bearing carriers but that gives you other issues

3. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

A different solution - #1515

4. HidRo Forum Member

I see... Lot's of stuff involved, and would make it not work properly... So I'll just leave it.
    I'm thinking of going caster top mounts to increase it, but it would go for 1.5" only. Currently, the max I can have with everything out of the box is 1" (sometimes even goes to 0.59")

mr.brown, that option can be bought somewhere? but I guess it will go for the same issues as rubjonny mentioned.