interface not found

Discussion in 'Vagcom / VCDS' started by coupechamp, Aug 12, 2018.

1. coupechamp Forum Member

what's wrong. Basically the problem is I can't get it to work. Should this lead work with the Ross-tech download or am I trying in vain. Normal message comes up, interface not found. On my main pc when plugged into car it seems to be a USB3 issue, but can't see it, tried it on older laptop and the interface bleebs as if it can't see it. Tried lots of re-installs, I think it's a driver related issue as I can't see them in the device manager. This is just a quick description, basically to see if it should be working. cheers for now

vcds.JPG vcds2.JPG

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

had a quick google and it looks like this isnt a genuine ross-tech interface? If not then I doubt VCDS will work with it unless modified (illegally) The one I found on Amazon mentions it comes with its own software though 'ODIS', have you tried that?

If the cable shows up on Windows on a virtual COM port you should be able to get it workign with original Vagcom or VCDS-lite but it wont have any advanced features unless you register it, and it probably wont work with more modern VAG after MK4 Golf era?

3. coupechamp Forum Member

Hi rubjonny,
    been a long while, thanks for the reply. I am now surprised this is not genuine as it's in our VWCV dealership, albeit not for customer vehicles. Maybe that's why I'm having so much grief. Not sure now why we have it!! Looks like I need a real set-up then. It started off I needed it for my rear brakes on the mk7 R, but got around that a different way, niffty little trick but now wanted to code the rear LED lights on it and our service adviser who has a mk7 GTD wants the same.

Might have a tech who has a set up but he's on holiday so might wait, no rush lol.

Again thanks for the info
    Doug

4. rubjonny

Ah If its in a dealership then its got to be a genuine one, apologies!

Now if its not showing in device manager then its probably a driver issue on the bluetooth dongle, are there any unknown devices showing up in there? Can you do a screen shot if so? if you press 'prt scr' on the keyboard that does a full screenshot and puts it into the clipboard, which you can then paste into an image program to save as a file. If you press 'alt' + 'prt scr' together that screenshots the currently active window :) if its a laptop sometimes you need to press a function key as well as 'prt scr' to get it to work, they often double up on the keys

5. coupechamp Forum Member

would like to think it's genuine lol, main man is in tomorrow so will see why we have it, might have been an old van in for something! Briefly with the new laptop WINDOWS 10 I get constant blue light, an extra ports (COM & LPT) in device manager which I don't get on older laptop

On older laptop I get these:
    vcds (4).JPG vcds (5).JPG vcds (6).JPG vcds (7).JPG
    vcds (8).JPG

On the new we get these:
    vcds (1).JPG vcds (2).JPG vcds (3).JPG
    Still hoping out tech on holiday has a set up to borrow, so no major panic :-)

Attached Files:

6. rubjonny

Alrighty, looks like the old laptop needs a different driver manually installing or perhaps bluetooth needs switching on?

On the new one you have a virtual com port 'COM3' which means its all installed fine, what you do in VCDS is set it to 'COM3' in the settings instead of 'USB' then you should be good to go :thumbup:

7. coupechamp Forum Member

again thanks for the time, not sure now where they got it all from as it was brought in to test the dongle side of things with something they had in the workshop at the time, still hope it's not a dodgy fleabay jobbie. So when you say adjust in the settings, is that the pc settings or when your in the test box, as I have tried clicking/testing each com option on the VCDS programme options after 1st selecting the options in the 1st use box. I will go and have another look now I have a bit of time. Thanks again

8. m1keh Forum Member

a vas5054a is not for vcds anyway...

It is an interface for the genuine ODIS software. - Which I imagine there is a copy of on that white cd in the box...

9. dutchboy

dutchboy Paid Member Paid Member

I used to get that error. You are missing a .dll file. I think it is called RT-USB.dll from memory and needs to be placed in the main rosstech installation folder. Here is a link: http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/usb/usb-config-xp.html

But, as m1keh said, I reckon that is for ODIS anyway. You may be able to do some stuff with VCDS though.