G60 conversion

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by spankey, Oct 1, 2018.

1. spankey Forum Member

Morning all, I'm doing a g60 conversion into my MK2 golf mechanical wise I'm good but I've come to the dreaded electric side and I'm at s loss, the loom came with the engine but no drawing has anyone got a link to a drawing I could use please. I'm fine with the engine side of it it's all plug and play but fuse box side seems to be a different game cheers

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

was the donor loom from a corrado or a golf? what fusebox do you have?

I have the corrado G60 diagram in my signature, 'corpgecu.pdf' which should help

3. spankey Forum Member

Hi mate I believe it came from a rado, when u bought it it was already out of the car but had been fitted into a MK2 as I was told but can't confirm that. I've got a ce1 I believe fuse box as the hazard is on the dash. Awsome IL try and find that on your signature and hopefully make some sense of it all lol

4. rubjonny

ok have a look at this, process is basically same including ecu relay info. just ignore the coil conversion part you keep the g60 coil and run your old d/26 rev counter wire straight to coil negative side job done :)
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/ce1-abf-splicing-of-looms-help.249714/

if you have access to a digifant ce1 loom this makes life even easier as you drop the main bay loom in, split the G60 ecu wiring out of the main corrado bay loom and mate the fusebox wiring straight to the ce1 digifant plugs

5. rubjonny

actually saying that, you will still need to run at least 1 wire from the ecu loom to the fusebox for lambda probe power as the CE1 digifant doesnt have a feed for it. No big deal though split the loom and run a wire from E/14 male spade for lambda power :)

6. spankey Forum Member

Fantastic mate I rwreal appreciate your input I've got it all in bits now so I'm off to av a go

7. spankey Forum Member

Right mate going great guns just need s s ltle info as the loom that came with it has had another relay put into it from G2/4 am I right in thinking I reuse the relay from existing wiring and remove this other relay ?

8. spankey Forum Member

Hi mate r u available to pick your brains on wiring in the lambda and co2 pot

9. rubjonny

the relay on G2/4 is for the fuel pump after-run, simple enough to re-wire the g2/4 wire put to G spade 2 or 5, or D/2 or D/7. Brown wire from F/8 earth to claw above fusebox or tap into a brown somewhere else, Z/1 wire pop into spade N after trimming off the lock clip on the side. Other wires go into the engien harness which you keep as-is

lambda is easy enough theres a wire to ecu, earth to battery and the live needs fuel pump power which for CE1 would go to a male spade hanging off rear wiring loom E/14 (need a GTI rear loom for it to be there)

CO pot is wired direct to the ecu nothing to do there as long as its not damaged :)

10. spankey Forum Member

Awsome mate nice one also I'm looking at the f5 connection to cranking live to ECU van you tell me which pin on the ECU that is apologies for some many questions chwets

11. spankey Forum Member

Also....lol I've got a wire from d26 loose in the bay any ideas? And the large yellow connector behind the fuse box with a black and red also a yellow and red cable too I'm at a loss with tia

12. rubjonny

CE1 equivalent to F/5 is a red/black wire hanging off of yellow headlight loom plug C pin 18, it has a female spade on the end so dead easy :) Alternatively you can splice it into the main red/black wire to the starter motor if you want, strip about 5mm of insulation off the starter wire without damaging the copper and wrap your F/5 wire round it, secure with a bit of solder then insulate.

the 2 pin spade plug on yellow plug C you mention is for the brake light switch

D/26 is your rev counter wire, that needs to go to the negative side of the G60 coil, might be labelled '1' or '-'

13. spankey Forum Member

Hi mate thanks so much for replying that's s massive help almost ready for the big switch on lol as regards the "c" is this correct with the one in the picture as this one is attached to the relay 90 in the loom the engine came with as I understand the other which is a large red connector goes to terminal n IMG_20181002_110830.jpg

14. rubjonny

That yellow plug is 'Z/1', for injector power and fuel pump after-run. All you need to do with that is trim the lock and locating tabs off either side till it fits in spade 'N' on the CE1 fusebox :)

When I say 'C' I mean the big yellow plug on the CE1 fusebox for the original mk2 headlight loom. it has a couple spade plugs on it, single pin is starter crankign live and the 2 pin is for your reverse switch.

https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/fusebox-faq.219775/

15. spankey Forum Member

Fantastic mate thanks ever so much I had put the large red connector with solid red cable in "n" so IL have to swap that with the yellow, do you know the location of the large red connector please

16. rubjonny

Is that hanging out of the relay? if so its the permanent live input, you pop that to one of the P spades. only trouble is the corrado relay spade is too big (the 2 big P spades are reserved for battery power and ignition switch) so it wont fit very nicely. Simple solution is cut the big spade off the relay wire and crimp a fresh 6.3mm spade on the end :)

17. spankey Forum Member

Yeah that's the one mate,perfect I can get that swapped no dramas and fingers cross were good to go

18. spankey Forum Member

19. spankey Forum Member

Hi mate how's it going just a quick one if you have time bud, ive switched on for the first time and ILS gone well only one minor thing is I'm not getting a battery light flash when ignition is first on do you have any ideas ? Cheers bud

20. rubjonny

that'll be the blue wire, it runs form a spade near the battery live terminal inthe original headlight loom, over to the D+ terminal on the alternator :)