OPEN Broken image links (on some machines only....)

Discussion in 'Temporary, New forum requests/bugs' started by VW-Audi-Porsche, Feb 18, 2019.

1. VW-Audi-Porsche

VW-Audi-Porsche Paid Member Paid Member

Hi All,

I'm having big problems with images and its driving me crazy.. [8-}]

So, on my home PC (the PC I write the thread with), all is good.

However, on my iPhone and my PC at work, some images are replaced with thumbnails like this....

IMG_6884.PNG

No matter how much I refresh or clear cookies, its still the same.

On a side note, it appears the forum is changing the link. For example, my 'pure' image location is this:

www.jaykayem.co.uk/photos/cgti/update0/3-4.jpg

(I can put this into any address bar and it works everytime)

But, the forum changes it to:

www.clubgti.com/forums/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jaykayem.co.uk%2Fphotos%2Fcgti%2Fupdate0%2F3-4.jpg&hash=602edf767064579b47a7378c6b89354a

Its with this I get the problems.

Please, what is going on? Its driving me mad !

I have a few other forums for the other project cars I have, and have no problems (these are phpBB).

Many thanks

Jay.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hello there, the problem is as I understand it we have to proxy host all the images to allow the site to work securely (https) and sometimes this can fail. Sometimes a server reset solves the issue, or sometimes if you edit and re-save the post it kicks the images back into action.

In the long(er) term the original plan was to have images uploaded to the server automatically which should sort this problem but thanks to the photobucket saga this would cause issues on older threads, we would loose all the original links and end up with a server full of 'photobucket are robbing gits' images.

I've struggled with this a lot trying to repair damaged again thanks to photobucket!

Ideally upload the images to the forum then it works fine :)

3. VW-Audi-Porsche

VW-Audi-Porsche Paid Member Paid Member

Don't get me started on Photobucket! [:x] .....Last year I updated over 200 image links using my own host this time and not PB. Now it appears even my host is confusing CGTI!

So i've edited all threads again and used the forum uploader this time. It seems to work ok, but the preview function is a bit buggy.. sometimes it just displays

{ATTACH=full]13296[/ATTACH} rather than the image. The modified threads do however seem to be displaying fine on my iphone which it never has done before.

Also, went to renew my membership tonight as a 'thank you', using the link in your signature. The shop/checkout doesn't accept my card(s) and the paypal checkout is just a forever spinning padlock?? Any ideas?

Thanks for your help. My members car thread is ten years old and it means a lot to me - it has become a history file inseparable from the car!

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Yes you have to watch out with the image uploading as if you're going back and forth trying to do 100 things at once sometimes you loose the attachments and have to start again, or forget your place, or miss images, or get them in the wrong order.... Yes I know the pain well. So many hours I wont get back on threads with 40 pages downloading then uploading images, hunting thru google to find pictures that were missing, pb hacking to convince it to give me the pictures that it didnt own etc :lol:

I'm not sure whats up with the shop, it was working a while back as we got several card payments. Most people use paypal these days that's the trouble so not sure exactly when it went down...