I've lost my immobiliser/car keys!

Discussion in 'Security' started by funkbaron, Jun 3, 2006.

1. funkbaron Forum Junkie

I'm in big trouble - i went to my parents house yesterday to fit my new glass to my car, job done, looks great! Went to leave and couldn't find my keys ANYWHERE - wierd as i hadn't moved from my car, but after a 2hr search they're nowhere to be seen - i'm worried i put them down on the wing of my stepdad's landrover, that later went blasting through the woods....****[:x]

Now, presumably replacing the locks, ignition and keys on my mk2 is simple, once i have a set (the cars unlocked), but it's the immobilser fob i'm more concerned about. It's an Autowatch thatcham approved thing that needs a small key pushing into the dash...it's the only one i have, and I have no idea what to do, as I have no certificate from when it was fitted[8(] . Can immobilsers be bypassed, what kindof costs am i looking at. Any other suggestions?
    Cheers

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  2. MotorGuard Forum Member

have you got any sort of paper work. As if you have a pincode then a new touch key can be ordered and are approx 30. If you want it bypassed it will cost you bout 45.

www.motorguarduk.co.uk

3. funkbaron Forum Junkie

No, it was done by a previous owner, and is one thing i didn't get in the history! I'm guessing someone will offer a mobile service to bypass it - 45 doesn't sound too bad? Anybody have any ideas on what models of VW locks/ignition would fit my car? It's a 1992 model, if that makes any difference.

4. funkbaron Forum Junkie

I've checked your website - see you sell the autowatch systems - any ideas if a new fob is obtainable from the reg number - wondering if there was a national database of installations?

5. 16vbanger Forum Member

in most cases imobilesers are easy to bypass

pop the bottom of the dash off and the lower ignition caseing and you should see where its been tapped into your loom with a few black wires
    disconnect the balck wires and rewire your loom colour for colour ;)

6. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Thanks 16vbanger - i pulled the dash out today, but it's started getting dark - thought that'd be the case. Anybody know if VW keep a record of key numbers so they can be replicated? Mk2's are scarce in my local scrappers, any ideas what ignition/lock barrels would fit if i can't get a key from VW? Thanks

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  7. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

You only have 1 set of keys and 1 keyfob?

8. funkbaron Forum Junkie

correct - it's one thing planning to get them replicated and another actually doing it, especially when i've had a lot on.

9. GTILass Forum Member

why do u always post to belittle the thread starter? [:s]

hope u get it sorted soon hun [:*:]

10. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

He lists his locaiton as Southampton / Taunton. Was trying to work out if he had a spare set located elsewhere. Its not belittlement, its called finding out.

He might have had 2 sets of keys and 1 keyfob. The keys issue was not mentioned. Although i did wonder why he would be enquiring about replacing all the locks on the car already.

11. madmonkey Forum Addict

If you can get to the lock barrel, you should be able to get a key ordered by the code on teh lock.

12. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Thanks madmonkey, I'll get the code from the barrel tomorrow and call VW on Monday. Needless to say, i'll be ordering two sets of keys. I'm hoping it's just a simple case of locating the immobiliser, seeing which circuits it breaks and rejoining the immobilised wires by colour, as my wiring skills aren't any more sophisticated than that. If this thread shows one thing, it should be that anyone with one set of keys and one immobiliser fob should get them duplicated asap, as i've been putting it off for ages thinking "it'll never happen".[8(] Ah well[:$] :lol:

13. Joyce houston New Member

Hi hun did you get you’re immobiliser code number I’m having the same problem, I am a young woman and don’t have the first idea what to do I am in bits, if you have any ideas for me I would be so grateful thank you.
    Joyce
    X

14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hello Joyce, what car is it you have exactly?