Oil temps? What's safe? Road car on track

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Tristan, Nov 3, 2018.

1. jamesa Forum Junkie

There are manufacturer Product Data Sheets on line but looking at both Castrol and Millers, neither reference running oil temperatures.

However ... a Millers Motorsport Oil container (> ten years old) that I have here quotes the following:

Fully Synthetic Millers Oils ... provide maximum protection for continuous running at 125`C / and for intermittent running at 150`C

Semi Synthetic Millers Oils ... provide maximum protection for continuous running at 115`C / and for intermittent running at 140`C

I have always used 85` - 105`C as a min / max operating guide.

My Mk1 GTI gauge is `red lined` at close to 150`C and my B5 S4`s at 180`C ... !

Other on line info. suggests that it is the oil sump temperature that is critical / what should monitored (NB Desertstorm) ... most if not all of `our` sensors are elsewhere in the system, with any `warning` info. possibly referenced to the sump condition ?

Retaining the coolant - oil cooler assists oil warm up ... no thermostat in there I presume ?

2. Desertstorm

Desertstorm Paid Member Paid Member

3. Desertstorm

Desertstorm Paid Member Paid Member

As I said earlier fully synthetic oil will run on a track at 150 degrees. But on an older cars with a worn pump and worn bearings the oil will be like water at that temperature and there will be a good drop in oil pressure, unless you start of with a much thicker oil. On my car I have an Ignitron stand alone ECU and this talks to the cluster over the CAN network and can see the oil temp provided by the sensor in the sump. I also have a sensor by the oil pressure switch on the engine and I find there is only a few degrees difference. The sump being maybe 4-5 degrees cooler at 90 degree oil temps.

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Regularly see 130+ degrees at Brands, in JENVEE (MFA reading) when at full load only.
    Usually after 20 mins. I then come in and cool down.
    To recap, I run a an ally 16v rad with a Mocal air to air oil cooler tapped off a sandwich plate from the OE water cooled unit.

Motorway cruise part load and top gear (6th) mph is 86-92 deg C in the summer and 78 to 85 deg C Winter.
    City start/stop can get to 110 deg C.

I have also noticed some difference in MFA temps readings between VDO and Motometer clusters as I own cars with both.
    Never got around to correlating.

5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

good discussion, oil or water, both cool the engine
    Jon

6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

With mine, coolant has never been an issue . New 8v rad, new OE stat , new hella water to oil cooler , good coolant , new cap and new pump . I never see it over half way on the gauge.

7. holdawayt Forum Member

I use a Polo 6n2 Gti oil filter, fits the mk2 and is way shorter.

8. Tristan

Thank you.

9. GTIfan99 New Member

I see 135 on hot day in my mk7 GTI here in the states.

I wouldn't even bother with an oil cooler if you're seeing 120. That's about perfect on track.

Since my car has an water based oil cooler too, my first step to keep coolant and oil temps under control will be a triple pass aluminum radiator and properly seal it, then I'll look at an oil cooler. Just be careful if you're going to run an oil cooler to ensure it has a thermostat. You might not be able to get oil temps up to operating tempurature on the street in the winter months.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    Tristan likes this.
  10. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

my 8v used to get up to 128 degrees on track/at the ring.
    I've fitted a Mocal oil cooler, placed in front of the rad, with a thermo sandwich plate in between the standard cooler and the filter.
    I used a stubby Lupo GTI oil filter and had no issues at all.

I can now track hard 30min+ sessions and the oil never goes over 110-115.
    On the road I use a piece of plastic corrugated card, which I slip infront of the cooler. This increases oil temps by 20 degrees.
    I was finding on the road the oil was too cold around 72 degrees fully warmed up, with the cover it runs at 92. :) ( got the idea front ice road truckers! where they put a sheet over their rad to stop it freezing/ get engine up to temp quicker)

Plenty of pics in my build thread :) hope that helps!

Tristan likes this.
  11. Tristan

I've used your pics on your thread for reference, Cope! Ta.