Realistic power figures from a 1.8 GTi 8v with K-jet?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by DasDub, Feb 19, 2020.

1. DasDub New Member

What are the sort of power figure could I achieve from my GTi without changing the block or doing a engine swap? I have an early GTi with the K-jet fuel system and I'm just wondering what kind of BHP and torque I could get while leaving the block and fuel system in, I've been told about putting on some twin webber 45s but I would like to leave it looking some what stock while gaining a few more horses. The previous owner told me he had done some 'bottom end' work on it but I havent looked to see what has been done if anything at all and short of having forged pistons and rods I dont think I would be able to tell the stock internals from upgraded ones anyway

2. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

To make more power, the engine should breath more air, this with the correct amount fuelling > air/fuel mixture
    The std K- Jetronic can handle enough fuelling for say 20 - 25 % extra power

The engine should be healty or otherwise said... good compression, valves that seal well , 4 injectors that spray equal amount of fuel, good ignition, etc
    With little tweaks there is some power that can be found... but its very limited

To get any decent gain, it will need some ``classic - old skool`` tuning to get from ca 112 Ps ( Std) to say 125 - 130 Ps

Cylinderhead porting and inlet / exhaust manifolds that match to the head for better flow. and a ( fast road ) performance camshaft
    and porting the exhaust manifold and eventually another downpipe

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    erreesse likes this.
  3. DasDub New Member

thanks for the reply, I was planning on gettting the head ported and polished along with the exhaust and inlet, also had plans on getting some new valves and putting in a fast road cam and eventually down the line getting a full exhaust system made up for it. I know I wont be able to reach 150 odd bhp but would like to have around 130ish if possible. Would you happen to know if the injectors on the K-Jet can be replaced with bigger injectors or would the standard injectors be up to the job?

4. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

Around 130 hp is certainly possible with a wide powerband and still good idle....and maybe even upto 140 hp with full exhaust system and some little tweaks ....it all depend how far you want to go in compromise low down revs..

I reckon the std injectors and K Jetronic can handle ca 25 - 30% more power

erreesse likes this.